The Corroboree
STEEBLES

LOOKING FOR SPORE PRINTS OF THE CUBENSIS VARIETY

Hi every one

I am new to Shrman Australis and i was wondering if any one could help me out with some P.Cubensis spore prints , for microscopy purposes only.

I am starting over again as i lost all my sores prints when moving house.

unfortunately i have nothing to trade for them but I am happy to pay for them.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hey steebles! Cant help you out there but greatto see you on the forums! (This is a wonderful lovely person here folks, so I hope you cn assist him!)

Hey STEEBLES, welcome mate!

I'm new here too but have been aware of and reading threads here for years.

This place is an amazing Australian resource - treat her well and she will teach you and provide for you many helpful things.

I recommend the free spore trading thread to everyone, I received a letter from a very generous member giving me many prints instead of the single one I was expecting.

I just need the single native strain (p.cube tasmanian) for microscopy and identification purposes so I'd be happy to send one of my spares your way mate.

I have a tasmanian fresh print and a cambodian print aged 3+ years I can send to you too. Maybe someone could chime in and confirm what I've heard mentioned, if a print is aged longer than about 1.5 years the spores cell walls start to collapse making it useless for viewing?

I'm posting a letter tomorrow to another member from the free spore trading thread so if you can hit me with your postal details quick sticks I can get em both off tomorrow morning.

I'll PM you now

• Like 1

I would like to thank every one who PM me you know who you are.
It nice to know that their is an active community here and i hope to contribute in any way i can in the future.

Thanks again people.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hex_OMEGA said:

Spores last for at least several years

Up to 30 years actually.

SG-30 is a strain that was derived from a 30 year old print of Cubensis Star Gazer. Although, in that case they used activated charcoal to aide in germination.

I have grown SG-30, and it did very well.

Edited by Cue
I wanted to add something
  • Like 2

well...that is handy to know. Thanks for that Cue. Hopefully I will still be viewing in 30 yrs

12 hours ago, Hex_OMEGA said:

Hopefully I will still be viewing in 30 yrs

I started picking wild Cubensis 37 years ago.

You know that you are old when you go to bed at the same that you use to go out.

• Like 9

with a simple 24 hour rehydration period, friends of mine have had zero luck getting there aged spores (nearly 5 years old) to germinate on brf cakes. Must take some special treatment as you said Cue.

that story of SG-30 is bloody impressive, 30 yrs... Fk me.

Agar or an LC would be a better bet than cakes if you're reviving old spores.

I remember RR writing about re hydrating old spores in a pressurised vessel. I haven't been to the shroomery for years, so I can't provide links or technical details.

Edited by Sallubrious
  • Like 4

^ I think I know the thread Sal.

He uses a cap on the syringe and a rubber band around the plunger to compress and provide some PSI in an attempt to push h2o through the spore cell walls...

I need to find a place that sells 25cc syringe caps as the 12cc syringes don't come with a 'thread' to screw a needle or cap onto. Alternatively I could maybe suck up some silicone into the needle then cut the needle off with pliers and i might be left with a water tight clandestine syringe cap type thing...

so basically use pressure to hydrate spores, then introduce spores to agar or LC instead of brf aye, rightio.

Thx mate, appreciate the input.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2016 at 8:12 PM, Skellum said:

I need to find a place that sells 25cc syringe caps as the 12cc syringes don't come with a 'thread' to screw a needle or cap onto. Alternatively I could maybe suck up some silicone into the needle then cut the needle off with pliers and i might be left with a water tight clandestine syringe cap type thing...

An epoxy may be better. Doesn't really matter how you clog the needle, since the needle can easily be replaced.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cue said:

An epoxy may be better. Doesn't really matter how you clog the needle, since the needle can easily be replaced.

would epoxy be ok in sterilisation processes??(I've often wondered what leeches out of epoxies, like could I seal a hole in a water tank with epoxy safely??)... maybe silver solder as another option

• Like 1

I know that in the USA there is a product called Pro-poxie (sp?)that is safe for plumbing.

Edited by Cue
grammar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, doublebenno said:

would epoxy be ok in sterilisation processes??

4 minutes ago, Cue said:

I know that in the USA there is a product called Pro-poxie (sp?)that is safe for plumbing.

For the Aussies out there bunnings sells a silicone that is heat resistant to 205 celcius continuous. This is what I use for pressure cooking, Selleys is the brand, white tube, clear silicone. Bout four times as expensive as normal silicone.

I'll post a pic tonight when I'm home.

• Like 1

^sounds like Selleys 401RTV (room temp vulcanising), theres a red one that name elludes me I use to find useful....

EDIT - JB Weld has an interesting range of epoxies

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 3

I know a dude that goes by Microbe77 that uses JB Weld for just such applications; I just didn't know if ya'll would know that epoxy by name.

• Like 2

Edited by noname
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

^sounds like Selleys 401RTV (room temp vulcanising)

Spot on mate, thats the stuff.    http://www.selleys.com.au/trade/building-products/silicone-sealants/silicone-401-rtv/

Check out the technical features. This I thought was nice; Non-toxic: Suitable for incidental food contact in food handling equipment and food contact surfaces.

For what it's worth I've used rtv silicon PC'd on home made spawn bags (double oven bags) as injection ports successfully...It didn't stick to the bags too well and they needed to be handled with utmost care until they colonized 100%. I left them on a shelf until they were done then spawned to a mono.

• Like 1