The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hex_OMEGA

Bunnings Bagged Manure

Hi all..I was just wondering if any one has had any success using the bagged manure from bunnings as a bulk substrate?... I see they have two types, one supposedly being organic

Look on Gumtree. Owners of horses and stables gives that shit away for nothing. 

yeah mate, I have access to it..just feeling a bit lazy as I usually leach it the sun for a few days. So was just seeing if anyone has had any success with the bunnings stuff?

• Like 2

It's pricey, and full of woodchips, but does give a boost to plants. If you top dress it and water it in you'll find that 90% is woodchips, literally 90%, so I compost it all again to try and get my bulks worth

look for a local nursery doing 3 for $10 or something that's what I do. I usually combine a few bags then let it compost again. Something like manure/mushroom/compost and then sit for a month in a big bucket. Ends up being good compost and costs $10 for ~75L

i hot compost the horse manure I get too, usually starts going black at the 4 week mark, I also inoculate with lactobacillus.

the $15 75L black bins at bunnings make great hot composters

• Like 1

No problems! Cheap alive compost is my current mission! dunno bout you but I'm in a small block but want at least 200L good compost annually, 2 of the big black buckets and bins let's me do about 300L a year. I just tip it out and turn it ~weekly. Make some lactobacillus too, it really speeds things up

• Like 1

That sounds like it would be great compost.. Unfortunately space is a big issue for me 

On 9/30/2016 at 8:09 PM, Hex_OMEGA said:

yeah mate, I have access to it..just feeling a bit lazy as I usually leach it the sun for a few days. So was just seeing if anyone has had any success with the bunnings stuff?

I am also too lazy to work work with anything other than bagged manure. I live in the USA, so I can't comment on specific brands in your area. But, I have used bagged composted cow manure for years. It really needs to mixed with something to fluff it up. I usually go equal parts cpoo/coir/composted straw, but when I don't have any straw I just go equal parts cpoo/coir.

• Like 1

Thanks cue..I've read a lot of guys in the states use it..like you said different areas and different brands etc..So a bit hard to compare. Probably worth just giving it a go..Then I'll know what to expect at least

10 hours ago, theuserformallyknownasd00d said:

Whoops I just noticed this is in myco and not plants - ignore me !!! 

I'm not going to put you on my ignore list just yet.

Edited by Cue
  • Like 1

Just a heads up for anyone using the "fine farms" brand of organic cow manure...this stuff reaks to the high heavens and you will be smelling it on your hands for at least a day...gloves are recommended 

It sounds like it may need to be composted more.

• Like 2

On 28/09/2016 at 3:51 AM, migraineur said:

give that shit away

Literally