The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
secondorder

Pachanoi cutting sterility..?

About a week ago, I cut off a 25cm-ish pachanoi pup, it was unsterilized, and the cut developed some soft, black rot.

I cut about another 1.5-2cm off, and sprayed the cut with isopropyl alcohol, because I heard somewhere that this was a good way to sterilize cuttings. Will isopropyl do any damage to the pup? Will it form roots just as easily? Is it necessary?

I don't have a direct answer to your question but cuttings should be placed in a clean dry location with plenty of air circulation. You want the freshly cut surface to dry up as soon as possible. 

One method that works nicely is to pop the cutting up on a cupboard with the cut end hanging off the edge to receive maximum airflow. Get a desk fan going on the other side of the room for a few hours to circulate the air a bit. Doesn't need to be directly blasting the cutting or anything.

Make sure you dont do this in a dusty or musty, farted-out bedroom or you'll prolly end up with micronial activity all over the wet surface of the cut.

I don't know about alcohol but I have used sulphur powder during wet weather. - can't beat it for the job.

Also when cutting off rot, go at least 4-5cm. These offcuts can actually sprout and give rise to a whole new plant.

-happy days!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

would have been better spraying/wiping the knife down with the Iso and cut with a sterile blade, rather than spraying the cut IMO.

• Like 1

I kinda think that spraying the cut may even be detrimental> i think the natural bloom of the cactus maybe beneficial in that kind of situation

• Like 1

I've found that cutting really plump hydrated plants often results in some black spots/weeping. 

Dry them out for a while before cutting then let the cut ends get some sun and wind for a few days. 

Sometimes they're just prone to black no matter what you do.

Thanks for the advice guys. I sterilized the knife with both cuts, but I only sterilized the cut the second time, so far it looks healthy and is forming a callus well.

Cheers.