The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
wert

Australian 2016 Census... WTF?

Wert Kilp says WTF is with census this year (2016)?

Its always a waist of your time n effort imo but theres a little more to it this time round.

It had my partner and I arguing straight up. She wanted to fill it out and ommit our names... I wanted her to throw the fuckin thing on the bin immediately!

Whats peeps thoughts on this rubbish? Is it an attempt to raise revenue through fines or somat simple or is it a deeper trick? Or are we paranoid?

Apologies if this has been covered I searched and found sfa so chucked this crap in the days of our lives.

Be happy.

Wert.

seems weird, how are they issuing fines??? Is the census number registered with a residential address/household? 

The stats gained through the census help the country improve and understand itself. The names are dumb.

Fill it out without the name, chances are you won't be fined. They have the power but don't like to use it unless you're being a dick to them/the census agents.

You'll likely need a paper form though.

Put everyone's names as 'Not Sure'

So far we haven't done it in our house and no-one's talked about it.

Great success.

Their site isn't even working anyway >_>

After this debacle, my guess is the ABS will be privatized & sold off in the not to distant future.

• Like 2

Just heard the 2016 census will cost Australian tax payers 470 mill' over 5 years. Uhg. 

I received a paper form in the mail to complete and I just put an initial for first names. 

One of the questions was like "did person 1,2,3 (etc) do any non paid work around the house, ie; maintainence, gardening ......." . How is that helpful information for infrastructure?! . All that may show is we're lazy Ozzies, lol. It also asked who you work for, the address of the company , and of course how much you earn. I'm sure each time census comes around,  they  add more questions?!  Census makes me so angry. Invasion of privacy. Grrrrrr. I believe in the future that everyone  will be bar coded and have tracking device and traceable through satellite, not in my time, but I'm sure it will happen. Let's revolt :P 

• Like 2

Privacy is already dead.  It's not like the census is going to suddenly reveal details that aren't already freely available.

There are a dozen institutions with all your info already.  Banks when you take out a loan combined with what the ato knows could practically fill out the census for you.  There are a few questions regarding habits for travel that aren't already on file but that's about it.

Combine that with the amount of shit most people put out there on Facebook and the government already has a complete picture of who you are.

The moment it becomes economically feasible for law enforcement to track and monitor everything you do they will.  Data retention laws prove that it will get through Parliament without a hitch.

I really see this as a footnote to the trajectory we are on to becoming a stereotypical dystopian future.

• Like 5

"Give the government all your private information citizen, or we'll throw you in jail"

what does that sound like?

11 hours ago, stonewolf said:

Privacy is already dead.  It's not like the census is going to suddenly reveal details that aren't already freely available.

There are a dozen institutions with all your info already.  Banks when you take out a loan combined with what the ato knows could practically fill out the census for you.  There are a few questions regarding habits for travel that aren't already on file but that's about it.

Combine that with the amount of shit most people put out there on Facebook and the government already has a complete picture of who you are.

The moment it becomes economically feasible for law enforcement to track and monitor everything you do they will.  Data retention laws prove that it will get through Parliament without a hitch.

I really see this as a footnote to the trajectory we are on to becoming a stereotypical dystopian future.

i've heard this argument. the difference is all that is voluntary, the census is not

fine if people want to volunteer their information, that's up to them. but when an entity with the size and strength of the state forces you to hand it over under threat of violence, then that's a problem.

• Like 4

Shame they couldn't lodge them all online, then the lot could be uploaded to the CIA's huge computer. At least one politician refused to put his name on. One thing's for sure - all the residents of Uncle Sam's secret bases here would be exempt. Tonight on TV - Qld cops have got 60 cars around the  state with a camera snapping 16 regos per second and they're going to keep all the info for 5 years. Even the police minister is confused.

• Like 1

I just "went camping". Seeing as you can only fill in the form if you stay at that residence on that night. I did not want t break any laws and fill it in if I was not "at home". So I wasn't. Simple. And I wasn't on anybody else's form as I was not at their house either. Simply camping by the river in the bush. There was no section for this allowance. 

:P

• Like 3

I was up in Ningi country camped by a freshwater lagoon behind the dunes on census night. Was far to busy catching taylor & ugari down on the beach to be contemplating filling in forms. Not that i am in one place for more than a few nights a week these days anyway.

I wonder if that makes me transient or just a wombat?