The Corroboree

I am so jelous! As a student 'tis but a dream.. I'm going to get a property one though like you - I love the whole survivalist ethos/mentality and activities! Are you getting a firearm?

1 minute ago, Entheogenic garden said:

I am so jelous! As a student 'tis but a dream.. I'm going to get a property one though like you - I love the whole survivalist ethos/mentality and activities! Are you getting a firearm?

Thanks mate it feels pretty good to be living the dream,

yeah firearms are a bit of a delicate topic with the neighbours.. I am waiting until I am a licensed native wildlife rescue/carer, then I can tell them I need the firearm for humane euthanasia of injured/dying wildlife - which would be true. I don't think they will turn me down on that one :)

I do have a couple of recurve bows and a polynesian blowdart for the meantime. I like archery,  I am pretty good at it, but I need to do more regular practice if Im ever going to get anything to eat with it.

• Like 1

Why don't you just use the 'hunting varmin' as your legitimate reason for having  a Cat A/B license - a nice .22 would be perfect! 

I'm not a mad fan of archery myself, I like things with triggers haha - crossbows.. guns... 

Plus, I'm not sure of the wildlife down there but for snakes ect. always good to have a side by side shotgun (plus they're just so bloody cool); rifle for foxes too. Oh now I'm excited for you haha the idea of building your own place, having an amazing garden away from the nanny state. Now surely that's an idea everyone on this forum can get behind. (sorry ill stop rambling).

11 minutes ago, Entheogenic garden said:

Why don't you just use the 'hunting varmin' as your legitimate reason for having  a Cat A/B license - a nice .22 would be perfect! 

I'm not a mad fan of archery myself, I like things with triggers haha - crossbows.. guns... 

Plus, I'm not sure of the wildlife down there but for snakes ect. always good to have a side by side shotgun (plus they're just so bloody cool); rifle for foxes too. Oh now I'm excited for you haha the idea of building your own place, having an amazing garden away from the nanny state. Now surely that's an idea everyone on this forum can get behind. (sorry ill stop rambling).

Well round here hunting is a bit of a dirty word. I don't think I would get agreement, and although I am out of sight of neighbours, with the bushland being shared, firearm hunting would not be a safe activity on this land. The vermin around here that Ihave observed are mainly just rats, Iam told there are foxes and wild dogs, but I have seen neither. I have heard dogs in the distance occasionally, but could just be pets. Rats Ithink will be easier to get with traps. I would love to work on my snares and traps.. but even setting live rats traps in the house I find bandicoots trying to eat the peanut butter. I would be pretty devastated if I inadvertantly killed native wildlife.. so I am not doing that at the moment.

I am waiting for a wildlife night vision camera to arrive so I can figure out what the large things making noise in the bush around the house at night are, I suspect sna['/kes monitors and bandicoots.

Ihave the opposite view to you with firearms, I feel even using a compund bow is cheating! :P however I would like to have a .22 and ammo stored for apocalypse purposes (its my hobby) and also for euthanising animals.

The wildlife down here has been pretty awesome (so far) nothing that I feel threatened by.. I just took a picture of the (I think) brown tree snake that I share my lounge room with. It sleeps there during the day and then disappears into the roof at night. I like having them around, they help keep the rat population down. So far I have seen carpet pythons, green tree snakes, and this guy. As I understand it, brown snakes are the big scary ones around here, haven't seen em yet. 

Thanks for the contact, I like to hear from others and get their ideas and opinions. Being out here on my own, the big thing I miss is being able to bounce my ideas off people. MAkes me indecisive.

Well thats my hydration break, back to hacking up the lantana and devil figs!

20160926140954_IMG_0115.JPG

20160926140954_IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.4be05aa39d0ef02729c2f7c438563513.JPG

20160926140954_IMG_0115.thumb.JPG.4be05aa39d0ef02729c2f7c438563513.JPG

I will chuck the work boots on for you!

• Like 2

Man I would love to come out and help you... as long as I got to build a little wooden cabin and have a pellet gun or bring a blackpowder rifle.

Well just keep bouncing those ideas, I find it so interesting.

Next post is up.

I think this will be a slow week.. I went out partying and this is day two fo headache. Really gotta stop the drinking. Every time I do it it kicks my arse... and brain.

Boy having new seedlings really ups my motivation level. Babies are a big resposnibility!

Also I have posted this in another topic but anyoneiterestedd insharing or trading food seeds or cuttings I am keen! :)

Hi Niggles, you mentioned you're going to be looking into chickens?? if you haven't checked it out yet google "backyard poultry forum" 

It's an Aussie site and they do with chickens what we do with plants, a wealth of tips and tricks for young players.

Edited by freakazoid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, freakazoid said:

Hi Niggles, you mentioned you're going to be looking into chickens?? if you haven't checked it out yet google "backyard poultry forum" 

It's an Aussie site and they do with chickens what we do with plants, a wealth of tips and tricks for young players.

bloody brilliant. thanks mate thats given me lots of good reading

• Like 1

Been enjoying reading your posts/blog.

Hope you have more luck with your pineapples than I did. They were in the ground  for about 3 years, got quite big but never fruited. So I ripped them out to make way for tomatoes. To give pineapples a head start you can put skewers in the side of them and hang over a glass of water and roots will form quicker than in soil.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2016 at 10:28 AM, OPP said:

Been enjoying reading your posts/blog.

Hope you have more luck with your pineapples than I did. They were in the ground  for about 3 years, got quite big but never fruited. So I ripped them out to make way for tomatoes. To give pineapples a head start you can put skewers in the side of them and hang over a glass of water and roots will form quicker than in soil.

Glad to share. Im really pleased if anyone is enjoying it, it helps keep me motivated to do stuff. Yeah I have heard pineapples can take a few years to produce anything.

Ok New update is out! Bit of a funny week this week. Some good photos in there.

Once again, anyone who would like to share or trade vegie or herb seeds or cuttings.. im keen. 

Advice on everything proof garden fencing is also welcome.

On 03/10/2016 at 6:57 PM, freakazoid said:

A forum where they do out there stuff with chickens ?

I'll have to check that out.

I bet their annual camp goes off.

• Like 4

Oh man that NRIVERS graft is nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-)

Nice one man, enjoying the blog 

• Like 3

good on ya niggles, nice blog.

that thing in the tree that you reckon is either a bird nest or termite mound is actually both. arboreal termites make the mound in the tree like that, but the hole is made by a bird that lives inside, in the tropics where i live this is predominately small kingfisher species, so keep an eye out. the bird and termites generally live harmoniously, the termites harden around where the bird moves in and continue to live ok in the rest of the mound, and the bird does not generally feed on the termites.

that being said, only a fraction of termite mounds we see are actually in use by termites.

• Like 2

good on ya niggles, nice blog.

that thing in the tree that you reckon is either a bird nest or termite mound is actually both. arboreal termites make the mound in the tree like that, but the hole is made by a bird that lives inside, in the tropics where i live this is predominately small kingfisher species, so keep an eye out. the bird and termites generally live harmoniously, the termites harden around where the bird moves in and continue to live ok in the rest of the mound, and the bird does not generally feed on the termites.

that being said, only a fraction of termite mounds we see are actually in use by termites.

Oh wow thank you so much for sharing that I was wondering about that. That is pretty exciting, we have lots of kookaburras here, havent seen too many kingfishers, but I can point the wildlife camera at it and see if it catches anything. :)

oops

Edited by niggles
oops

Hey folks the march post is now up. Theres  some heavy topics in the but also some great animal photos to balance it out.

Also I will be in Melbourne late April, hoping to have a bit of a dinner to catch up with folks, probably Fri 21st April. If you are interested message me or  look for more details in a post Ill make in the appropriate place, news and notices or something, :)

• Like 2

buts are nectavores, they dont actually eat fruit.. they squeeze the juice out of it and spit out the pulp!

Love the updates niggles , was all serious till I read the above spelling mistake and laughed and laughed , yes child I know hah

nice mango haul 

Edited by fozzking
  • Like 1

Love the updates niggles , was all serious till I read the above spelling mistake and laughed and laughed , yes child I know hah

nice mango haul 

Does your but not suck the juice and spit out the pulp?

• Like 2