The Corroboree

next update is up! if anyone can identify what makes giant nests like in the pictures I would love to know.

• Like 2

Yep, brush turkey. I've been told that they make em so big so that the rotting leaves keep the eggs warm, rather than mum having to sit on them. If it's still being used the mother will be lurking around to check on it - she'll kick more leaves on it if she thinks the eggs might be getting cold, or kick some away if they're getting too warm. So if you stake our the spot you will likely see her eventually - they aren't super shy.

• Like 3

Yeah brush turkeys arent too hard to find. I have seen them roosting in my banana trees. Iwonder if they are the bastards who eat all my bananas.

• Like 1

Hey Niggles, your updates r cool man, is exciting to watch your progress, how much you are getting done and how well you are doing.

If you can, try not to stress to much bout the work load man, can be kinda daunting but it may take quite a few years to get it all under control. A few days a week working and a few days reading or taking it easy, maybe planning and imaging what changes to the property you will make is the way to go.

ive a similiar situation here on my property, a southern version, bit colder, different animals and reptiles, different weeds and challenges it's taken 4 years so far, the more I get done the more I plan to do. I go hard a few days a week n do easier jobs for a few days building my self up for the harder tasks. Got a couple of stihl chainsaws, they are good quality machines, got the same helmet as you bought, essential protection head gear, heaps of times it's saved me from high speed debris and logs falling on my head. Gummies are the best foot wear, wet or dry, very good snake protection.

i tried getting rid of the rats here humanly for a while, there were so many that it was a loosing battle, I ended up getting a few boxes of ratsak, bit harsh to poison them, I found this less stressful than drowning them or trying to mash them up when I caught them in traps, rat poison turned out to be a lot more successful in the long term here. Rats are smart fukkers, they no longer frequent the sheds n veggie garden where I put the rat poison, they keep to the paddocks and creek line n the big gums where they make their nests in the roots n undergrowth.

i learnt to lay out branches n weeds n garden refuse in lines instead of piles, this way when I burn them they are more controllable and less of a hazard than making large piles, I've found that making these burn lines on large patches of invasive plants (here it's black berries, goarse and a rouge grevillea) is a good solution as when the 'lines' are burnt it kills the weeds underneath. This may help kill the bamboo rhizomes and prevent new shoots from growing.

Look forward to more of your updates Niggles.

Edited by spooge
Blah n rat smarts
  • Like 4

Don't burn all those bamboo sticks mate, You'll wish you kept them. They are soooo useful. I often cut them and store them until I find a use for them. Trim the side branches off but leave the first section still attached, those little 1 inch bits sticking out are very useful for tying them together or letting a vine climb it etc.

Bamboo sticks are ridiculously expensive at bunnings these days.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Halcyon Daze said:

Don't burn all those bamboo sticks mate, You'll wish you kept them. They are soooo useful. I often cut them and store them until I find a use for them. Trim the side branches off but leave the first section still attached, those little 1 inch bits sticking out are very useful for tying them together or letting a vine climb it etc.

Bamboo sticks are ridiculously expensive at bunnings these days.

Keep them if they're the type which store well. Most bamboo spp are known for their use profile and some store/ weather better than others

I put down a clumping variety which was claimed to be good for outdoor building. 20 years later it's heaps big, but I couldn't work out how anyone would use it for scaffolding like they do on some Asian sites. Local bamboo expert told me it was the wrong type and is an indoor bamboo, best for veneer, needs varnish even for that.

Mine lasts outside about 6 months before it falls apart. Great for staking and tripods ( re-use the U-nails and hay bale string, saves a trip to Bunnings ) but shit for the furniture and construction stuff I wanted.

Anyone got experience with an easy, sustainable way to treat bamboo for storage? Like, actual experience, not just web links?

( OMG I have turned into the old lady who saves string, kill me now... )

• Like 3

Also: this on general n00b rural advice:

Water, fences, fire-proofing, wind breaks, and access roads

There's a fair whack of basic info to tick off against your just-arrived checklist. You've prolly done most of it already. Apologies if it teaches you to suck eggs

Right *now* one of the first things you should address is fire ( because the season can come on fast, sometimes even within a week here and it's permit season already ), then access ( including turning space and unloading area ), or maybe water security. Then fences and windbreaks.

About the smartest thing you can do first time you move out from the city to a new bush spot is make yourself known to the local RFS/ CFA. It's signalling to the locals that yes, you are new to the bush, but no, you are not a complete dickhead, and are willing to at least listen to what they say about your place and your plans.

As the fire season progresses. and if it ramps up, it may become harder to find time to chat randomly with the firies because they may be busy here or out of area.

Find out who your local RFS is, and when they meet ( usually monthly ). Get there a bit early, find the captain or a deputy, and explain why you're there. They may have time to talk right then, or they may allocate a time and meet you somewhere else. Usually they will love you to bits for this because you are one less clueless person they will have to visit at dinner time unless invited.

They will usually know about fire ( and other ) history in your area, fire behaviour on your property, things you can do to help lessen the damage if there is a fire at yours or close by. And things not to do ( like burn off on total fire ban days- you might not start an actual bush fire but if the firies get an "I see smoke..." phone call at least one very pissed off person will show up. No. We do not get paid. )

It's also excellent networking. Yes, there are the usual cohorts of arseholes and rednecks you find everywhere. Many of these are also lovely and you will come to learn that even though there are many diverging attitudes out here, no-one gives a fuck about that when there is an emergency. Almost all the people there will be well networked and resourceful and usually even capable. They can and prolly will do a zillion things to help you settle in ( and reduce their workload in the process )

Joining these days takes time and a bazzillion police/ security checks as well as some pretty stupid worksafe checks ( please indicate the nearest exit... etc ) and the process is complete bullshit. This is not our fault, not at the pointy end, except we should def have complained more and louder when the shiny arses started making micromanaged demands on our time and attention ah shit... excuse me.

But yeah, for a rural n00b I'd recommend going to at least one meeting to introduce yourself- it shows good will and good taste. You will probably learn some useful history of your place which will be unbelievably relevant to planning on your site ( drainage/ access/ all sorts of obscure but really useful shit ). And I'd maybe even recommend doing the Basics training. At least kick in for a sausage sanger at the Xmas party and chuck in for the raffle :D

Bookmark this: FIRES NEAR ME

And use it any time you see smoke rising which worries you. It's a map app which will show you where firies are already responding- useful if you see smoke but can't determine source or direction. Download the app and add it to your phone too if you can. It's not always up to date to the very minute, but it's good to check before ringing and reporting fires which may already be under control or not of concern

Also: if you are in or around Nimbin, join either the FB Nimbin Hook Ups or the related FB discussion board. Mostly full of shit, but handy, and the occasional gem

• Like 4

Next update is up!

Thanks for all that useful info darklight I will be reading through it thoroughly over the next few days.

I have been having trouble finding info on where my local RFS/CFA centre is ... so I went to the lismore brigade, nobody answers their doorbell..

ill try giving them a call tomorrow.

Thanks for the good thoughts spooge, and yeah Halcyon I am keeping lengths of bamboo, though I dont hold up much hope of them being useful. its ornamental bamboo and seems to splinter pretty easy under not much pressure... good for garden poles but thats about it. ... and theres so much I dont think I will run out of poles anytime soon :P

1 hour ago, niggles said:

I have been having trouble finding info on where my local RFS/CFA centre is ... so I went to the lismore brigade, nobody answers their doorbell..

ill try giving them a call tomorrow.

Ring your local council and ask- will be quicker

Or message them from the Regional RFS FB page https://www.facebook.com/NorthernRiversZone

• Like 2

Nice one Niggles! 

Congratulations on making the change, what an exciting time. I've recently purchases my own land, but for now it is lacking any form of residence. Keen to see how you go, so i'll be keeping an eye on your blog and this topic for sure.

Cheers,

Sarc

• Like 2

Congratulations on buying someproperty Sarc! Whereabouts did youbuy? What are your hopes or ideas for the place?

• Like 1

Thanks so much mate, I'm absolutely stoked. I'm situated in NE TAS 460 above sea. I have 100 acres of pasture which I shall be mostly revegetating along the road frontage with endemic tasmanian natives. Seeds procured already, and have been out to plant about 20 sizeable plants already. The other 100 acres is a mixture of marshland, river, eucalypt/blackwood bush and cool temperate rainforest. I have loads of heirloom seeds for food production, bushfoods and a few (cold hardy) ethnobotanicals. Completely off grid, and a few livestock here and there.

What else are you working towards? 

Your cacti look amazing by the way Niggles, I'd love to be able to grow them outdoors here...

For all of you others with hopes and dreams of doing the same, anyone can become a land owner down here, its cheap! So its achievable here. Worth a thought anyway.

• Like 4

If you can, try not to stress to much bout the work load man, can be kinda daunting but it may take quite a few years to get it all under control.

Sage advice that....Don't burn youself out...been there done that. Probably do it again...lol

( OMG I have turned into the old lady who saves string, kill me now... )

lol..I laughed, and then thought shit I keep baling twine as well:lol:

FWIW mate , chainsaws gotta be Stihl (miniboss does most jobs - unless falling large stuff ), brushcutter has got to be a Honda. If you havent got them -  chainsaw chaps (cut proof pants), stihl make good ones...they've saved many a leg, should be considered essential kit.

I also use mine when using the brushcutter as protection from sticks/stones that gets thrown.

Defo wear safety glasses under the faceshield when brushcutting. I always wear em as well when on the saw, dust always gets in your eyes just when you dont want it...lol

You are doing good mate:wink:

• Like 4

Next update is up!

Waterboy - i did a bad job of describing my safety gear, so i have updated :) chainsaw pants included.

Iended up with a stihl brushcutter rather than a honda as it was two stroke like my chainsaw, I figured it would be easier with both of them using the same fuel type, but turns out brushcutter wants 50:1 two stroke and chainsaw wants 25:1 .. annoying.

Sarcophilus - I have big plans! I want a large permaculture garden to provide me with all my food, I would like to revegetate a lot of native plants, I am keen on native aninal rescue and rehabilitation, so I hope to get my NSW qualifications for that soon.. Want to put up a big hothouse for my cactus and plant lots of fruit trees, hoping to do some aquaponics as well. EVERYTHING! I want to do it all, but not all at once.. slow and steady :) Just keep cutting back the scrub.

• Like 3

On 13/09/2016 at 6:52 PM, Darklight said:

Ring your local council and ask- will be quicker

Or message them from the Regional RFS FB page https://www.facebook.com/NorthernRiversZone

Thanks for the tips :) I am keen on being an active memeber of the community, I was thinking of SES but maybe fire would be good. My skills are more medical but the whole idea would be to learn new stuff (and help) As you seem to already be an active volunteer any thoughts or advice on this topic would be welcome.

3 hours ago, niggles said:

I was thinking of SES but maybe fire would be good. My skills are more medical but the whole idea would be to learn new stuff (and help)

Medical certs + experience will be welcome pretty much anywhere, and either SES or RFS is a good place to start volunteering

There's plenty of places to volunteer up here, people are really appreciative of the help too

My eyesight's not what it used to be, if that isn't a carpet snake in your blogpress pic, and it's night time, it's a night tiger/ brown tree snake ( Boiga irregularis )

http://reptilesofaustralia.com/snakes/colubrids/birregularis.htm

Scale colour and underside colour can really vary in the same species between locations. I had a night tiger turn up in the kitchen at midnight a few years back which looked so close to a black snake- uniformly deep chocolate colour top scales and crimson belly ( red belly blacks have a pale belly and the red bits can only be seen from the side- I know that now ).

A mate who is a snake catcher came down and told me that locally 3 key ID points were

• They turn up at night
  • Prefer not to be on the ground
  • Have the characteristic 'doll's eye' whiter marking behind their eyes

Minimally toxic and maximally cruisey snakes, they're pretty shy

There's snake people round on the forums and locally who would know all this way better than me and who could give you more info

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Darklight said:

My eyesight's not what it used to be, if that isn't a carpet snake in your blogpress pic, and it's night time, it's a night tiger/ brown tree snake ( Boiga irregularis )

Yeah I think you might be right on that one, thats the feedback I am getting from other people too.. it had a pale yellowish belly that had the rainbow iridescence I have seen on green tree snakes. It was night time, it liked the roof, it retreated back through its hole as soon as it figured out how. I like having snakes in the house, provided they stay out of my bed Im good.

So I found contacts for the local RFS (No CFA up here right?) and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Hey mate, that green house looks good and a great size! 

Looks like your bananas are lady fingers, they also grow a lot taller than cavendish. I used to use a bagging tool like this to cover bunches when they are small. It has a large rubber band around the top that you release, once over the bunch. But this won't stop the bats when bananas are ripe. You will get a feel for when the bananas are filled out and they should be picked then and ripened in a cool dry place. Well this is what they did at a banana farm I worked at.

589131317.jpg

589131317.jpg.a37223ce9ad68866e6c15aaa08a4128c.jpg

589131317.jpg.a37223ce9ad68866e6c15aaa08a4128c.jpg

• Like 1

lol niggles I wasnt trying to make more work for you:wink: I just looked at the photo and thought wheres the leg gear.Good to see mate.

I do prefer the chaps over pants, your right they'd be brutal to be wearing in a hotter climate for brushcutter work. If you are brushcutting across territory that ends up throwing up a heap of stick and stone old cricket pads can also work to stop bruises and shit getting stuck into you.

Edited by waterboy 2.0
editing
  • Like 1

Oh that banana pole looks like just what Ineed. I wish my banana bunches were as big as the ones in that picture!

Cricket pads. Awesome :) Ihavent had any trouble with projectiles from the brushcutting as of yet, The grass is so think its like a foot deep mat of woven living grass, It is hard to even reach the ground, I have just been cutting it back to the mat so I can move through it. Heres hoping for a wet safe summer as Idont have much hope of making this place bushfire ready this season.

Heres hoping for a wet safe summer as Idont have much hope of making this place bushfire ready this season.

Maybe you could put the call out for a working bee man, I am sure you could get some helpers! ;-)

Edited by doublebenno
formatting
  • Like 2

Next update is up -  yay!

Hmm... working bee could be a big help... anyone keen? we can have a campover party :)

• Like 1

I'd be in- :-)

• Like 1