The Corroboree

Awesome, glad you both arrived safely.  Looking forward to more updates :)

• Like 1

Just read the first post and it looks fantastic!!!

• Like 1

Looks great, nice and quiet and a cool house too. I look forward to more updates!

• Like 1

Awesomeness...  welcome aboard...What part of the NC have you moved to??... if not wanting to be specific then what valley/catchment/subregion??... the North Coast is a mighty big place....

• Like 1

Wow, looks awesome, planning to escape the hamster wheel too one day.

• Like 1

Looks so good! Will be following your blog :) good luck with everything niggles.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2016 at 9:14 PM, tarenna said:

Awesomeness...  welcome aboard...What part of the NC have you moved to??... if not wanting to be specific then what valley/catchment/subregion??... the North Coast is a mighty big place....

I am about 20km north of  lismore

:)

• Like 2

Embrace the change brother,look's like you are settling in quite nicely

• Like 1

Cool blog, best way to deal with the bamboo would be to paint the stumps as soon as they are cut with neat glyphosate, make sure the cut is as low as possible, 

• Like 1

Hi Niggles

I left the following comment on your blog and it does not seem to have appeared:

Hello Niggles,

A couple of words of advice or options to consider:
1. Killing rats and mice..
As you have found drowning is not humane - you could consider using a thick plastic bag (e.g. a large snaplock bag) and transferring the rodent from trap to bag, quickly sealing the top with your hand to prevent escape!! Then smash the bag quickly and strongly onto hard surface such a concrete or rock from overhead. This instantly breaks the neck of the rodent and can be quickly repeated if the first attempt fails, I have never had a failure on the first strike to get a kill though... This method is much quicker and more humane than drowning..

2. Killing running bamboo..
There is a new method that is almost a silver-bullet method for killing bamboo (when away from creeks). It involves basal application of flupropanate to the rhizome mass (flupropanate is however a relatively toxic herbicide with a long period of activity). The rhizomes draw-up the herbicide and huge infestations of running bamboo are killed with a single application, but a complete kill may take up to a couple of years due to the slow transfer and action of the herbicide within the rhizome mass. Although using a relatively toxic herbicide, the resulting kill means that a huge primary and follow-up labour effort, and in the case of the alternative herbicides such a glyphosate  - many repeat applications of herbicide - are avoided.
I would be happy to provide case studies and specifics if interested. Well worth researching - but recommend lots of planning and preparation and expert consultation if deciding to use this method.

peace and good luck with your new digs - go well and all strength... make sure you have lots of fun along the ways.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tarenna said:

Hi Niggles

I left the following comment on your blog and it does not seem to have appeared:

Try this again  - post keeps disappearing.

Thanks for the reply.. the site wants me to authorise comments before they appear, im trying to figure that out so it will just come up

I am not having much luck with the rat traps. the classic snap kill trap didnt work for me and I had to beat injured rat to death with a stick.

Imight give your bag technique a go next live rat caught.

I would love some more infor on the flupropanate. Ilike to explore all avenues if possible :)

Hey folks Ihave released week three update. Yay!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bedofspines said:

nice one mate, how much land have you got?

about 4 usable acres surrounded by around 150 acres of bush

• Like 1

Good to see you getting this happening mate! it's my distant dream too so ill be using your blog as inspiration and prior learning. All the best!

• Like 1

Really loving the blog niggles, one day I'd love to do something like this but until then I'll just have to live vicariously through your blog.

• Like 1

good to see you settling in mate, as an aside in regards to ticks the tick key is great for getting the buggers off...lol...I've got a few of them about

tick-key.jpg

• Like 1

Next installment is up now.

That tick remover looks great.. I have lots of spare medical equipment that has been good for the ticks so far. but Ido love my gadgets!

Advice on building a chook shed would be most welcome!

Week five update! Stay tuned for the next exciting adventure!

• Like 3