The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
soma_seeker

Electric roaster for horse poo pasteurisation?

Hey people :)

So I'm going to start working with horse poo for the first time.  What I'd really like is to find an electric turkey roaster to use for the pasteurisation of my substrate!  (like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BELLA-13425-Turkey-Roaster-Oven-18-Quart-Stainless-Steel-/112055999234?hash=item1a170edb02:g:dngAAOSwzLlXhwa9 )

The problem is I can't find them for sale ANYWHERE in Australia, and buying from the US doubles the price due to shipping :(  

Has anyone looked into buying one of these or something similar before?

Are there any significant alternatives I can look into?  I've used simpler hot water/bucket methods before when working with coir, but with poo I'd really like to be more precise...

Cheers!

Fair enough, scrap that idea I guess.  It did just seem quite effective and easy, figured it would be worth it in the long run if I could pick one up for $100 or less...

Which of these methods would the community recommend?

1.  Heating water to temp and transferring to an esky

2.  Heating water and sealed bags in a large pot over a gas stove with thermometer and close observation/flame adjustment

Cheers

i reckon a few smaller bags rather than one big bag. Lay them out in your esky. get your pot of water upto the temp you need and then tip it in. maybe sure you dont have air in the bags so they dont float. Then just close the lid for an hour or so. while thats happening you can get another pot upto temp, if you want a longer pasturisation

• Like 1

I use my oven. In fact my oven is full now.

For pasteurization you want the substrate between 60C and 71.11C (I'm American so 71.11C is what the F to C calculator gives me for 160F). And you want even the center of the substrate to be with those margins for atleast 2 hours.

Now I use straw so I like it even longer 12-24 hours.

This should help explain much of why we do what we do.

http://extension.psu.edu/publications/ul210

• Like 5

Nice. A good friend of mine did his PhD at Penn State.  I actually just spent the past year of mine in the US too.

I'd thought that the oven might be a viable option, but then I thought that your standard kitchen oven might struggle to maintain a constant and precise temp. within that low a range... A lab oven however :) 

Edited by soma_seeker

Load oven trays with mixture just past field capacity, cover with 2 layers of foil. If your oven has a 'keep warm' setting do a trial run too see what tempreature it attains after 1.5hrs in the centre and edges of the tray, if all good pasteurise for 1.5-2hrs. Done it this way for countless times with no contamination issues across multiple species. Any questions fire away, 

Edited by Etho
  • Like 2

Thanks :) I hadn't heard of that approach.  Would be much safer for me too since I have a gas oven (would avoid the risk of putting flammable oven/spawn bags in an oven that has a naked flame).

I also have a digital thermometer with a wired probe.  Whatever approach I go for I was planning on having the probe in the centre of one of the containers of material. That way I can start my timer when the temp. reads 65 C.  What do you think?

I use my oven. In fact my oven is full now.

lol..the Mrs would KILL me Cue:lol:

thats a cooler Soma It'll probably leak, go a hard one if going that way  It'll hold heat better and will last forever.

300px-WTW_NOV_2013_Lianna_Henwood_055.JP

or a Chilly Bin if ya are of kiwi heritage:wink:

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Righto, cheers :)

The oven method is looking good to me at the moment...

If cue is a fan of that method, then it works. he is a bit of a legend 

• Like 1

I'm a fan of oven bags for pasturisation hey. 

Oven bags in the oven, pot on the stove, or in an esky with heated water? :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soma_seeker said:

Oven bags in the oven, pot on the stove, or in an esky with heated water? :P

^ All of those methods :) 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2016 at 9:18 PM, waterboy 2.0 said:

the Mrs would KILL me Cue:lol:

I told my Mrs. "It will be pasteurized, so you could even eat it if you wanted to".

Now as a disclaimer I use composted bagged cow manure in my substrate that only smells like dirt.

So, you probably want to make sure if you use manure that it is well composted.

On 7/21/2016 at 8:12 PM, soma_seeker said:

A good friend of mine did his PhD at Penn State.

The thing about our state of Pennsylvania is that there mushroom farming is a big business. They have many abandoned coal mines that they use as mushroom farms.

On 7/21/2016 at 3:49 AM, El Presidente Hillbillios said:

If cue is a fan of that method, then it works. he is a bit of a legend 

There is a private site filled experienced growers, and there I am humbled.

It was there where we started viewing the substrate as entire ecosystem, and encourage the grow of symbiotic microbes.

Now when talking about bacteria I always specify whether the bacteria is aerobic or anaerobic.

I hope that I'm getting off topic here, and maybe I should start a thread just about this, but aerobic bacteria is important for the nitrogen cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_cycle

Edited by Cue
  • Like 2

I've done too much "bad stuff" in the kitchen...LOL....and I've been blackbanned.

It is simply pure genius though....and I'm seriously thinking about finding one that someone is parting with after a reno for the man cave (workshop).

I reckon that topic could stimulate some serious thought Cue

• Like 2

I'm considering purchasing one of these. This a pic of 4' proofing hot box, but they also come in 6'. I've seen used 6' (2 meters) ones for $500.00USD

51HNpE9t1iL.jpg

Past temps are from 140F-160F, and these max out at 180F.

51HNpE9t1iL.jpg.b9d69658bf79e466a6112d9177d27f26.jpg

51HNpE9t1iL.jpg.b9d69658bf79e466a6112d9177d27f26.jpg

Edited by Cue
  • Like 2

Thats another great idea....hmmm also gotta have a chat with me baker mate then about equipment becoming surplus

Prover would be very mobile and a lot lighter....

Edited by waterboy 2.0