The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Etho

Argyreia nervosa Germination

Hi all,

I have been following the scarification technique along with placing the hyrated seeds in a paper towel soaked with hydrogen peroxide. I've had a good germination rate and have placed the seeds 1/3" deep in pots of well drained high quality potting mix, it's been 2 weeks now and I've yet to see any shoots. Do they usually shoot by now? What are you experiences?! 

Thanks all,

Etho

• Like 1

I haven't done any for a couple years, so im a little hazy on the topic, but I remember sanding the seed coat and sealing the seed in moist soil in an enclosed container until they sprout, like less than a week with fresh seed... when they sprout plant outside after gradual acclimatise.... It should be easy, with fresh seed anyways. all the best

• Like 2

Last one i did took a couple weeks. I nicked the seed coat and germed in paper towl. They need alot if rootspace. I went to lift my pot and the thing was stuck to the ground and the pot was pretty much destroyed lol.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I've tried a variety of pot sizes as read before they like a deep pot, just a waiting game now suppose, I'll update when they send you up shoots :)

last time i sprouted them was in Spring time a few years back. No special treatment. Super fresh self collected seed (few days old out of pods). 3 seeds per 140mm (6inch) pot. Searles premium potting mix. Morning /midday sun no afternoon. Kept well moist the whole time. Germination within a week. Vines within a couple more.prob about 80-90% germ rates. This time of the year, i would strongly suggest some bottom heat, or use doublebenno's above described tech.

long time I didnt do this too cant remember the times

I filed the seed then left for 24hours in water - if the filing was good the seed had swollen one day again and it started to open... file again if not swollen and change water every 24 hours... 

these are very hard seeds they need filing/sawing/nicking relatively deep

I dont remember how many days it takes for the seed to sprout, not much I guess.. that's why I like general discussion threads on specific plants, all info in one place

• Like 1

Panic averted, they popped up last weekend, so all in all it took 3 weeks from when the seeds went into the pot until they shooted.  

• Like 2

In my experience, they take ages of you just plant them. I gently crack the seed and soak it in water for a day at least. You can actually start seeing it pop it's head out after this. Then plant em inch deep. Only took a week to see them come up then. I had a few I chucked in the garden for novelty. I think it took about 6 weeks to shoot up. Then a bush turkey dug it out. 

all hard seeds germinate faster with some aid... hbwr is a very hard seed.

in any case congrats, argyreia must be one of the most rewarding vines to grow, one reason being the sheer speed of growth

Speed of growth was the main reason I chose the hbwr, got a sheet composted bed and pergola for it to climb ready and waiting, bring on Spring :)

• Like 2