The Corroboree

I don't anticipate this will be shot down, and my money is on the NT as the next one to go green :wink:

• Like 1

Interesting times ahead.

My money is on NSW being the last state to get with the program.

• Like 2

I dunno.  The Daily Telegraph front page today is typical of the "call to arms" for conservatives: "The Joint's Gone Mad"  Then it will be full of photos of stoned looking young people, bongs, more joints, huge clouds of smoke and more bad puns.  Scummo will fly back in to Australia and save us from ourselves...

Me cynical?  Yep.  Damn I hope I'm wrong though.

NCTELE_1_2019_09_26_thumb_big.thumb.jpg.7020172326de3eb3f92c151dc589867d.jpg

• Like 3

Bahaha, classic. Of course the Daily Telegraph has a frontage like that. Wouldn't be the DT if it didn't :lol:

Either way it goes it's a win, because it puts the spotlight where it needs to be, and the people of our country actually get a bit of insight into what is going on re drug policy in this country. Largely it's a bust here and a medical there. This puts the topic where it needs to be re public consciousness imo. Most people who read that fucking rag have no idea what is going on around the world re cannabis, let alone in their own country. And re, re, rere. I'll shut up now.:blush:

• Like 4

The conservatives are getting spread a bit thin on a raft of issues.... They are gunna have to lose a few:wink:

I reckon Tas is in the running for last, funny enough I reckon the excuse will be to protect the hemp industry and not the poppy industry which was one of the prior excuses... Beyond some sitting members being conservative, religious zealots that think their way is divine. 

57 minutes ago, SayN said:

Scummo will fly back in to Australia and save us from ourselves...

I laughed so hard :lol: true but... 

Prepare your happy clapping hands

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

Prepare your happy clapping hands

Haha oh god no, please. :,( 

makes me want to cry and laugh at the same time. 

Fuck me, that front page though, nice bit of moral panic and hysteria they’re trying to cause. Too late assholes! (Hopefully)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Northerner said:

First one down, eight to go.

I wonder which one will be the holdout until its legalised federally.

Just in case I've missed something, what are the other 8 to go being there only 8 states/territories in total?

And yes! Lets hope this will be a federal journey.

It's about bloody time they treat us like adults and wake up to benefits this provides by the multitude, including revenue across the board.

• Like 2

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/driving-under-the-influence-of-medical-cannabis-is-illegal-but-patients-are-still-taking-the-risk/ar-AAHZn8M?li=AAgfIYZ&ocid=mailsignout

Now the next step. It will be interesting to see how the impaired driving argument is settled. I get the impression so far, most of the players, especially those still opposed to Cannabis, are not terribly well informed. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

• Like 2

I saw a recent study which concluded.... an average of one per million population increase in road fatalities after legalisation of cannabis, measured over several states in the USA. 

link: tba... struggling to find the damned thing again. Was a research article, not just some article piece. 

Edited by Caster

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190205090524.htm

(@ Caster) Does this article reference the study you were looking for? There's quite a few I found, but I haven't looked at all yet.

"The increase was temporary, seeming to last for about a year following legalisation. The combined population of affected areas is 27 million people, suggesting an additional 170 deaths in the first six months after legalisation."

"The results suggest that legalising the sale of cannabis for recreational use can lead to a temporary increase in traffic fatalities in legalising states. This spills over into neighbouring jurisdictions through cross-border sales, trafficking, or cannabis tourists driving back to their state of residence while impaired."

Then there's this one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6710088/

The best data come from the United States, where some jurisdictions have had medical marijuana laws (MML) since the 1990s and legalization of nonmedical use since 2012. In these states, traffic fatalities decreased following the institution of MML and increased following legalization.2,3 The increases lasted no more than a year, averaged an additional 1.1 fatalities per million, and mirrored changes in states without legalization2,3 (Box 1a). A recent Canadian study bolsters these findings. In drivers treated at trauma centres (n = 2318), there was no association between responsibility for the crash and blood Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) levels < 5 ng/mL and only a weak, nonsignificant association with levels ≥ 5 ng/mL (p = 0.35)  (*). (My emphasis)

In other words,  there was no causative association between the presence of THC in a driver's blood and the accident when the levels were below that of possible impairment and only a "weak, nonsignificant" association when levels indicated possible impairment.

Conclusion

The past 4 years have brought better quality evidence in 3 important areas. First, there is better evidence that cannabis legalization does not lead to large or sustained increases in traffic accidents.(*) ( My emphasis).Second, there is better evidence of an association between adolescent cannabis use and psychoses. Third, there is better evidence that legalization does not increase adolescent cannabis use. The absence of these feared effects has been accompanied by anticipated positive outcomes: decreased arrests of cannabis users and generated tax revenue.

It will take a decade or more before we understand the effects of legalization in full. However, not everything about this issue is new. In their comprehensive 1973 report, Gerald Le Dain, Heinz Lehmann and others concluded that the criminalization of cannabis (and nonmedical drug use in general) was a failed policy, aggravating social ills without decreasing use31 (Box 1g). Many consider their analysis still valid.3237

I may be being a bit cynical, but I'm thinking the data from these studies might be being "cherry picked" :o to support an argument against legalization. It all depends on how much data and what context one wishes to include when quoting the results. If you wanted to support the notion legalized Cannabis is detrimental to road safety, you could accurately quote that the results demonstrate this... unless you quote all the data. Perhaps I'm being a little further cynical, but an increase of 1.1 fatality for every 1 million in population seems like equating a fart in a stadium to one in a crowded elevator. I'd like to see a study which showed the effects on road safety following the explosion of legal opioid use....

And, of course, the study Caster referred to may be a different data set. 

Not just because I think Cannabis and broccoli are in many ways comparable :lol:, but also because I really like this as an analogy for selectively picking data. 

https://www.thinkingnutrition.com.au/broccoli-bad-for-you/

Edited by Insequent
  • Like 3

Jeez, insequent, it's like you don't trust our policy makers to not deliberately mistake causation with correlation...

• Haha 1

Producing data which suits your agenda is the bread and butter of the political arena. 

Thanks for the links! I’ll have a proper look soon and reply again. The one I found was partially unbiased, I think one extra fatality per million is quite minuscule in reality (people who are gonna get stoned and drive will get stoned and drive regardless of the laws anyway, so I think this is incredibly hard to measure anyway) 

i think the additional road accidents and deaths is one of the “better” arguments against keeping cannabis illegal, so the more information we have to rebut these claims the better. 

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

How come they always demonise Gunja but its ok to OD and drive on medicinal opioids. this country is freaking mad! Opioids have done more damage than weed will ever do.

The time is now for full legalisation. but the pollys and big pharma companies will fight it. They don't like any medicine that u don't need to have a prescription for. People have smoked weed for thousands of years dag nambit lol and will smoke it till the end of times. Its true medicine, even the books that we wrote about medicine were made from hemp back in the day.

Richard De Natalie for PM IMAO!!!

Stick it to em Ritchy. Litterally give them a stick and make them smoke it. Then they will see the erb is good for ya :)

• Like 4

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=882d871e-a45c-4ce3-8dcc-cb170abd20ff

Reforms underway for Medicinal Cannabis in Australia

Executive summary

Cannabis was high on the regulatory agenda in September, with two significant developments:

1. Professor John McMillan AO's Final Report of the review of Australia's medicinal cannabis framework under the Narcotic Drugs Act 1967 (Cth) (ND Act) was tabled in Parliament on 5 September 2019, ahead of the 29 October 2019 target date recommending extensive amendments to the regime for cultivation, production and manufacture of medicinal cannabis in Australia; and

2. The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) voted to legalise the personal possession and cultivation of cannabis.

Changes to ACT Legislation

The ACT Legislative Assembly voted to legalise the personal possession and cultivation of cannabis on 25 September 2019. The changes will allow adults to possess up to 50 grams per person and to grow up to four plants at a premises. The amendments have been approved in principle and will come into effect on 31 January 2020. ACT is the first Australian state/territory to legalise the recreational use of cannabis.

Final Report Reviewing Framework for Medicinal Cannabis Cultivation, Production and Manufacture

Professor John McMillan AO's review was conducted on the extensive amendments made to the ND Act in 2016, which established a regime for the cultivation, production and manufacture of medicinal cannabis in Australia. A link to the Final Report is here.

• Like 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-27/cannabis-reform-happened-in-wa-long-before-the-act/11552294

In WA, Colin Barnett's Liberal government — which included Mr Porter as state attorney-general before he moved to federal politics — repealed the cannabis reforms as part of a "tough on crime" approach in 2011.

It was the culmination of a long Liberal campaign against the laws, introduced under former Labor premier Geoff Gallop.

"More people than would otherwise have been the case will not only experiment with, but also use or perhaps cultivate cannabis, become addicted, move on to harder drugs and die," Mr Barnett told the WA Parliament in 2003.

"I know that sounds dramatic, but it is a fact."

FACT - Definition

something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists, or about which there is information:

a thing that is known or proved to be true

Mr  Barnett seems to be confused between what a fact is and purposefully misleading, manipulative bullshit. I don't suppose that really matters a great deal because he dribbled this to parliament; it's not like he said it to the public. And given Mr Porter is now our current federal attorney-general, do ya thinks there is a vewy vewy tiny, wee prospect some battles are still ahead? Ah well, I guess it would get a tad boring without it.

• Like 1

Not cannabis related, and they forgot to mention she drilled a hole in her head once, but still first story on the ABC. What the fuck is going on?!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-05/amanda-fielding-queen-of-psychedelics-beckley-foundation/11543064

From her family home, Amanda Feilding, the Countess of Wemyss and March, has launched an unlikely renaissance: the return of psychedelic research to the mainstream.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

Not cannabis related, and they forgot to mention she drilled a hole in her head once, but still first story on the ABC. What the fuck is going on?!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-05/amanda-fielding-queen-of-psychedelics-beckley-foundation/11543064

From her family home, Amanda Feilding, the Countess of Wemyss and March, has launched an unlikely renaissance: the return of psychedelic research to the mainstream.

Dr Marg Ross, who is leading the study at St Vincent's Hospital in Melbourne, is effusive.

"We owe Amanda a great deal of gratitude for her advocacy and support. Without it, this type of research may never have been possible."

She definitely has my gratitude.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sharxx101 said:

Attorney General might stop the ACT from having legal weed. Just another hurdle :(

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/what-cannabis-does-to-your-brain/news-story/7cb0e1c4e12b578654ddb48c69513acf

He almost certainly will, especially with the same old drivel he and his cohorts are spitting out in that article. And perhaps Alex Berenson isn't a great source on which to base an argument.

two good docos about the state of medical cannabis in Australia. Both of these docos show the holes in patient access. the 2 guys in green light are heros they have supplied people suitable for the midicibe when our goverment wont. It also showed the ridiclous cost of cannabis oil for medi can patients supplied by the health system. The whole system needs an overhaul now.

https://greenlighthealth.com.au/documentary.html

• Like 2

On 13/10/2019 at 7:24 PM, sharxx101 said:

It also showed the ridiclous cost of cannabis oil for medi can patients supplied by the health system. The whole system needs an overhaul now.

I made some observations about this well before medicinal became legal. I spent a bit of time sitting in the back of meetings between the group of doctors, lawyers and other advocates for legalization and various reps from the NSW, QLD and Vic governments. It was evident back then, the way they were going to regulate was going to result in exorbitant cost to the patient. They're not going to want to rush to overhaul the system they set up because of the $$. On a brighter note, I've heard whispers there'll be a very big push for adding it to the PBS in the near future, so who knows? But you're definitely right there, sharxxy, it's not just in need of an overhaul, it should never have been put in place.  

• Like 1