The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zedo

Brush Turkey problems

So I get home today, and I'm sooooo annoyed. Damn stupid brush turkeys have ripped up my herb garden, my tomatoes, a rose, a HBWR and a few other things. 

Before I consider getting a compound bow... What can I do to deter these annoying birds without making the yard Alcatraz. The guy next door has a chicken wire fence around his vege patch but I've seen them get in before. 

So im more hoping to hear any ideas. Certain plants maybe?

anyways if it continues I'll be feeding turkey to the cat lol

Im not sure if youre allowed to remove them to another area.. Maybe..  

Their mulch-thieving and other scratching-related misdeeds can be thwarted with chicken wire, just the wide guage stuff will do. Lay it over the ground where you dont want them scratching, can have a thin layer of mulch over the top if youre worried about how it looks.

Im not sure the best way to totally exclude them, same as for possums I imagine.

Theyre a real menace and though protected, their numbers are higher now by far than when Europeans arrived (adapted for urbanisation it seems).  I wouldn't feel bad about relocation and I wouldnt feel that bad if a terrible fate befell one either.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

I hadamatewho ate a bush turkey once. Tasted a little gamy but he wouldn't hesitate to go another if his life depended on it.

• Like 2

Compound bow ftw!

on a side note, HD, we shot Pelicans in our freshwater damn once cos they were eating all the fingerlings we'd stocked it with... Not even the pigs would eat em... Not even the hunting dogs... Boiled or fresh, nothing would touch em... Would have to be the only dead animal I saw lay unscavaged for months except for ants haha. - sorry about that, back to the thread 

• Like 1

Should we post Brush Turkey recipes?

• Like 4

Not sure how I feel about shooting pelicans ,,,,,

Really cool looking birds , but I can understand how they might de - stock a dam quickly .  Did they ever return , and how did the venture wind up ? 

• Like 1

Na we got nothin outta those dams mate, it was literally futile... We just relied on the dams with Redfin as they bred faster than could be eaten haha

edit: restassured when nothing ate them and they kept returning they were left alone! They'd breed up in to big of numbers in the irrigated areas about 150km from us and arrive in flocks when they were old enough.

Edited by theuserformallyknownasd00d

I hope it wasnt Mr Percival d00d....lol:lol:

76006.jpg

• Like 1

So I'm guessing the easiest way to get rid of them is to force an apocalypse. Lol