The Corroboree
Zedo

Sowing seeds

So I've got a few seeds I want to get going, but it's winter. Or is this a good thing?

Basically I'm interested to know if there's a good time of year to sow seeds?

I'm going to be constructing a humidity chamber to keep everything in while it gets established. And also heating. The chamber will be outside but under cover. Well lit but only maybe an hour of direct sunlight late in the arvo. So I was thinking of putting a large jar filled with water and an aquarium heater in it in the centre. Thoughts? Ideas? Right time? Wrong time?

perfect time ;-)

The same question was answered again just recently, check this thread out man:

Ah. Thankyou for this. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend

IME if uve got them outside you probably will end up giving them too much sun early on (they go red). I've found shade cloth or just an old rag over my germination box works. 

Enjoy. 

Oh ok. So really cut down the light while they establish.

So... Took me a while. Life commitments, unexpected events, shitty weather... But it's done. And now this week I gotta get everything in and started. 

Behold - My mini greenhouse.

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ef4654c593d7db1e8554d101fecdd658.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ef4654c593d7db1e8554d101fecdd658.jpeg

• Like 10

Aye, looks tidy. Good job. You gonna put some shade cloth over it? 

I gotta decide where to put it first. But yeah I'll shade it up a bit where needed

• Like 1

On 24.7.2016 at 8:23 AM, Zedo said:

So... Took me a while. Life commitments, unexpected events, shitty weather... But it's done. And now this week I gotta get everything in and started. 

Behold - My mini greenhouse.

image.jpeg

Looks fabulous! Wish I wouldnt have two left hands when it´s about wood working.

• Like 2

Just chop one off and reverse it lol

Yeah just Perspex. Real glass is heavy.

Made a stacking system for the trays. 2 trays in so far. Bottom one is a lucky dip of succs and lythops I bought off eBay lol. Second one has some Trichs and lophs. 

Still have plenty of room for more. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.51b29d80eb4d8abf27e3705c8442ef03.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1008f035053800d506d936f54bfba01f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.51b29d80eb4d8abf27e3705c8442ef03.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1008f035053800d506d936f54bfba01f.jpeg

• Like 3

I am jealous, this set-up is awesome, love it, maybe I should hire one of my skilled friends to make something like this! 

you use vermiculite in yr mix too? 

Edited by sagiXsagi

I did a mix of succulent dirt x perlite x vermilucite x sand

• Like 1

I'Ve got a problem... Maybe. Well I do but that's another story. Been super busy lately taking on two roles at work and other junk and stuff. But anyways. 

I think ink it's been a few weeks since putting bulk seeds in here. Got all sorts. Cacti, succs, acacia, rue, other random things I can't remember (in different trays/pots). And well nothing's peaking it's head out. I've opened the doors the flush done air most days, and misted the tops to keep it moist. But yeah, nothing yet. Am I being impatient? Or could I have done something wrong? 

You didn't cover the cacti seeds with soil did you? The acacia can take a while without pre-treatment. 

Only a light dusting of sand on the cacti and succs. The acacia I followed the instructions that were sent. Soak in boiling water to cool for 24h then plant. 

yea, I've had acacias take months before. I've never covered cacti seeds as most need light to germinate, I'm guessing its fairly humid in the box. the cacti seeds love the humidity, I keep the pots cling wrapped and then those pots in zip-lock bag. But i don't have a greenhouse just dry old shelves in the shed... for now. I tried some lythops and they didn't seem to appreciate those conditions lol I had a bag full of white fuzz. I'd give it another couple weeks though, just make sure the soil isn't drying out.

Yeah too easy. I'll be patient. I cooked the soil and used a lil fungicide to stop nasties from overgrowing. If I don't see anything in 3 weeks I think I'll call it a fail 

which fungicide did you use? had good results with fungarid, wish i had it when i tried the lithops.  

I'll have to check, some Eco brand thing my partner got to try on her roses.

Tis called 'Eco-fungicide'. Should be good. It's organic. Supposedly safe to use on crops 

Yay I have sprouts! But not the cacti or succs yet. I noticed around the edge of one tray there's a little bit of that cob web looking stuff. I thought baking the soil and spraying some fungicide would have eliminated that. 

Should i I be worried? Will this kill the cacti seeds? 

Bulk rain last night made the house very humid. Now I've got cob webs all over the dirt. I sprayed some more fungicide on it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

also I got one baby poking it's head through on the cacti tray.

image.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.626f87cce778376c311b5bdb09cacf31.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.626f87cce778376c311b5bdb09cacf31.jpeg