The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

Windows 10 good or bad?

Can't decide whether to upgrade or not. I'm erring towards not upgrading, but would love to get any advice on the matter.

CHEERS!

it'll also upgrade you (to win10) without your notification or consent from what i've heard

Windows is just all bad.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DiscoStu said:

it'll also upgrade you (to win10) without your notification or consent from what i've heard

thats not quite true...

I went through this with my brother the other night, he kept deferring the upgrade for like 8 months, finally he just clicked postpone again without realising it said this time it will upgrade in 15mins, so after 15 mins its started to upgrade, luckily i was able to stop it for him- so it kinda upgraded itself but if he actually read the notification he could have cancelled it, so I changed is auto update settings etc and now he can happily run windows 7 without any prompts to upgrade.

Windows 7 pro 64bit is a good OS, about as good as it gets at the moment without running linux.... I'd recommend staying clear of windows 10.

I had my first foray with OSX recently, setting up a computer with el captain for my wife... now there is a truly piece of shit OS......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DiscoStu said:

That kind of happened to me, and a few people I work with. Told me the upgrade was scheduled and I delayed it, then didn't get to the next delay in time then it upgraded me. A little bit annoyed as it happened in the middle of a work day so I was locked out for a while as the upgrade occurred. Could have cancelled it but was considering upgrading anyway so no big deal, but I can see how some people would be pissed as they might have thought they were just closing the upgrade window as usual and not realising they were effectively giving their consent to upgrade. If you were away from your PC (and it was turn on) for a week and got caught up it the auto scheduled update then you could very well find yourself arriving to an unexpected and non-consented update. That would suck.

My experiences with 10, which I've had for about 3 weeks now:

All software etc worked fine, desktop and icons and desktop saved docs etc were as they were before so I could resume working immediately. That was good.

Definitely slower to boot up and wake from sleep (and my laptop is no slouch, i7, SSD, 8gb ram etc) but I can live with that. Extra seconds feel like an eternity at first when you're used to very fast boot times. I don't notice it much now.

Excel has crashed lots of time which never happened with 8.1.

Also had a very annoying bug which opened the notification centre every time I clicked the touchpad, which basically rendered the laptop useless as the notification centre popup (from right of screen) action prioritised over what I was trying to click on, which meant I couldn't do anything. Fixed by disabling 3 and 4 fingered touchpad gestures in control panel and restarting.

And when I tried to set up outlook app for downloading emails etc that didn't work, but in the process it converted me to a windows account which was very annoying, but 15 mins of googling and I found out how I could switch it back to a local account, so no biggie.

Also a few times when I close the laptop to put it to sleep it will shut down and restart, loosing document data since the last autosave. I think this is because it's updating, have to look into this.

Other than that I spent 5 mins making it look like windows 7 (did the same with 8.1) by deleting those fucking app tiles or whatever they are called on the start menu, so for me it's functionally identical to windows 7/8.1 Now I get to settings by left click on start icon, whereas 8.1 was right click, whereas 7 was left click etc. I pretty much use the pc as I did for 7 and pre-7 days, so haven't explored the tiles/metro/app stuff at all, or voice control and all that.

But it's fine apart from the issues mentioned above, which I assume will be smoothed out in time/updates. I'll keep 10 (you have 30 days to revert to previous version) as I figure I may as well stick with the latest version if it's functionally identical and I'll have security updates for longer before needing to adapt to a new OS version from lack of support.

I say upgrade if you want to, it's honestly not really any different experience at all to 7 or 8.1. Or don't upgrade if you don't want to. Either way it's pretty much the same. Some people I work with have had a similar experience to me, some have had no bugs/issues, and some reckon it's a big improvement.

I'd like to try something different one day (OSX, Linux etc) but it's just not an option with everyone at work using Windows and the need for multiple people building/working on the same documents and files. I can't be wasting time with file compatibility issues, there aren't enough hours in the day as it is. Maybe if I ever retire I'll try a different OS lol.

So yeah, you could always upgrade then revert back within 28 or 30 days if you don't like it. I know one person who reverted due to some software not running well on 10, and they didn't have any problems with the reinstall of the previous OS version. It was like they had never upgraded. So that's good to hear.

• Like 2

Window$ 10 and 8.1 are rubbish. Window$ 7 is good imo though I see no reason to use Window$ unless you plan on gaming. OSX is a nightmare. +1 for Linux 

I don't mind 10. Definitely a big improvement on 8, which is an abomination. Win7 is a goodn though.

Honestly? As an OS it's fine. It will do everything 7 does and a bit more. 8 and 8.1 were terrible attempts at making a "hybrid" tablet and desktop OS.

10 does have issues around privacy though, of course, and there is more to do to "strip it down" (who the fuck wants any of those stupid MS/Bing sports/news/weather/etc apps, seriously?) but a lot of it can be disabled. Check out https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/ by the SpyBot Antimalware people.

You'll pretty much be forced off Win7 at some point by the updates and the only real way to stop it is to disable updates entirely and then manually load in each update, checking to see if it was loaded with a Win10 updater buuuuuuuuuut I honestly wouldn't recommend that because chances are you're going to forget and leave yourself open to Win7 exploits as they come in. I'd rather lose a bit of privacy to an org than have my system unpatched and open to the masses.

As much as I love linux (and use it as my everyday OS), I just can't suggest it to anyone that does more than browse the web unless you're willing to change your entire workflow. 95% of your apps won't run on linux and 50% won't have a truly equivalent counterpart. Even things like MS Office vs OpenOffice/LibreOffice aren't 100%. There's often stupid headaches involved in using files between them.

tl;dr I'm not against upgrading to Windows 10. I run it on my desktop. I have no issues with apps. It looks nice. It runs well. Privacy issues can largely be blocked.

• Like 4

^I'm with Atom on this one.

10 was pre-installed on my newest laptop, and it has a shitload of stuff to manually disable, as Atom has said.

Apart from that the load up times are waaaaay quicker than 7 on my old lappy (similar specs), and everything runs pretty cleanly. Maybe except Firefox which a clunky bit of work when you have Adblock running amongst other things. :unsure:

I am suss on the privacy side of things with all Windows products though, so nothing new there.

Overall I think it works well with minimal buggs and crashes...so far :wink:

• Like 1

Still all of the above are better than vista lmao, I put Linux on grandparents computers because they can't seem to break it like windows, definitely not ideal for working if Microsoft software is involved.

• Like 1

I ran into issues with network drives and Windows 10 today.  Much sweating and swearing involved.  Not happy Jan.  Experiment concluded.

• Like 1

I know my labor union won't run windoze 10 due to key logging.

I haven't run windows in  about 10 years.

Friends don't let friends run windoze.

BTW I'm a Linux snob.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cue said:

I know my labor union won't run windoze 10 due to key logging.

I haven't run windows in  about 10 years.

Friends don't let friends run windoze.

BTW I'm a Linux snob.

Off topic q sorry halycon...

What's the best Linux distro these days @cue ?

I am looking to run it again as my only requirement for windows is my audio hardware/software which I run with no network anyway... What's the best automated install from bootdisk?? Is mandrake still good?

10 minutes ago, doublebenno said:

Off topic q sorry halycon...

What's the best Linux distro these days @cue ?

I am looking to run it again as my only requirement for windows is my audio hardware/software which I run with no network anyway... What's the best automated install from bootdisk?? Is mandrake still good?

Well let me try phrase this in such as way as to not get off topic.

Post one asked whether to upgrade to windoze 10 or not.

And I wouldn't upgrade, but install a Linux OS instead.

Ubuntu is good if you want simple. So simple that even my blonde wife can run it.

I'm running Linux Mint with a few more bells and whistles. It also supposedly has more of a windoze feel, so transition from one OS to another may be easier.

Also a lot of people like Linux Mate. I haven't tried Mate yet.