The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zedo

Personal Seed Bank

Good morning fellow corroboraters. I don't know if this is the right sector to post, but hey let's try it.

during my night meditation sometime recently, I saw a vision of a path I must follow. And I know we should all try follow. So I'm hoping we can collaborate together to make this informative to us all.

Many of us are most likely aware that nature is being privatised one way or another. So we need to help be the safe keepers of the future or our nature. 

The Personal Seed Bank.

So to get started what I've done is gone to Kmart and bought a $3 plastic storage case. And a bunch of small zip lock bags. After putting seeds in a baggie I write the name on a small slice of paper and put it in the baggie too. This is all now just stored in the cupboard where it can stay cool and dark. 

So simple and cheap. I know it's no doomsday vault buried into the side of norways mountains, but I think it's a good start. But now I'm interested to know what you've done and why. Pros cons etc. 

I know a lot of people refrigerate their seeds although I've never bothered since I mostly collect acacia seeds and they are hardy as all hell.

I would be interested in comparative results with fridged or frozen seeds vs not. 

I often eye off tackle boxes for my seeds but haven't gotten around to it yet, I just have an unorganised draw of ziplock bags.

Yeah I want to eliminate fridging it. I'm want to get a catalog of fruit and veggies. And other good plants.

Why not just grow them instead of collecting them and cataloguing them?

That's what they're for after all!

• Like 3

lol...gotta a point Glaukus.

Any seedbank needs renewal, otherwise you end up with a heap of non-viable seeds.

Your storage Zedo is pretty much the deal, BUT it always pays to know the viable life of a given plant of interest and grow it out and renew the seedstock.

If you are serious you will need to know a bit about its pollination requirements, and seperation from other varieties to prevent unwanted hybrids....

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

Well I'll be growing everything, but want to keep a seed bank of everything too.

Yeah I know there's lots to learn, I understand I'd be renewing my seeds each crop or two. But I guess that's how you get a better seed bank... By taking seeds from the best fruit and veg etc. one thing I'm aiming for is variety. I love chilli so as an example it would be good to have lots of types of chilli.

had a thought... Would those moisture absorbing sachets be good to keep away moisture or are they poisonous ?

Sorry man, I didn't mean to spend like a smartarse. What I meant to say was that growing the plants gives them their best chance of survival. Some will produce more seed and you can spread them far and wide.

Oh defiantly man. Also to spread the love too others once my seed bank get going. Like I could give people a starter kit or something. Like heirloom seeds I've read are probably what I'm chasing more so.

Silicon absorbers are good insurance in the main container, but not in with the seeds themselves.

Not poisonous to seed, but a lot of seed doesnt handle being completely "dried" out.

Growing them and spreading them out is also very good insurance.

getting as much air out of the bag helps, particulalrly with "oily seeds" to stop oxidation of the stored fats.

nut seed would be the classic example, but just go with rule of thumb and have minimal air:wink:

EDIT - not 3 pea seeds in the bottom of a coffee jar...lol

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Lol yeah fair call. Cheers mate

Looking forward to seeing the outcome of your work.