The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SirLSD

removing grafted LW about 1-2 " but wont root after a year or more

I have cut some LW off pedro stock but they wont grow own roots from the LW. some have been sitting for 2 years and done nothing.

any tips? sick of them slowly dying

I have cut some LW off pedro stock but they wont grow own roots from the LW. some have been sitting for 2 years and done nothing.

any tips? sick of them slowly dying

• Like 1

How large and are you using bottom heat? 

• Like 1

While you could try rooting hormone I don't know how well it works on cacti. An old neighbor of mine who operated a farm in their younger years swore by using a thin layer of organic honey as a rooting hormone. I don't know if it'll work on cacti but just throwing some thoughts out there.

Edited by Zedo

didnt you already post this same question?

As zelly said in that thread. post some pics and then im sure the pros will be able to help you 

You can lead a cacti to water but you cannot make it root.

• Like 3

On 13 May 2016 at 8:28 AM, Zedo said:

While you could try rooting hormone I don't know how well it works on cacti. An old neighbor of mine who operated a farm in their younger years swore by using a thin layer of organic honey as a rooting hormone. I don't know if it'll work on cacti but just throwing some thoughts out there.

I recently used some manuka honey (3 months ago on freshly cut T.peru and on 1 of 2 LW pups... I probably should've documented them better (not sure I documented anything at all?) but the peru has been in the elements and no sign of rot and the LW appears healthy (the other a little shrivelled).

i don't really have the stock for a decent controlled study, but thought it worth sharing ,)

Sitting how? In the open or on a media?

There is no "rooting hormone" action to honey, it is antimicrobial though and highly beneficial for that use.

• Like 1

In my experience buttons tend to root easier when they are not too big. Anything greater then 3 or 4 cm in diameter and you are going to have issues. I have rooted much larger buttons, but it can take a while for them to kick off.

• Like 2

This grew roots in about 4 weeks on zeolite with a heat pad. The bottom of those pots are 6 cm. It was ex peres graft were the peres was impaled about 1/3 into the loph. The bottom pups where removed and they rooted in the same amount of time. I'm thinking heat is a key player. 

20160420_161902.jpg

20160420_161915.jpg

20160420_161902.thumb.jpg.74c97ac1a163816f313a7bd14b659012.jpg

20160420_161915.thumb.jpg.7671747db4c44d7f1e46eb4fc9ad84d7.jpg

20160420_161902.thumb.jpg.74c97ac1a163816f313a7bd14b659012.jpg

20160420_161915.thumb.jpg.7671747db4c44d7f1e46eb4fc9ad84d7.jpg

Edited by Bedofspines
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bedofspines said:

This grew roots in about 4 weeks on zeolite with a heat pad. The bottom of those pots are 6 cm. It was ex peres graft were the peres was impaled about 1/3 into the loph. The bottom pups where removed and they rooted in the same amount of time. I'm thinking heat is a key player

Any moisture applied?  Trying to get a trich cut to root.

30 cm rosei1.  Got 3 other cuts at the same time January. -- Psycho0, Yowie, and Eileen.  All have rooted with no issues within days of each other.  More than 2 months later, no roots on the rosei.

Edited by plantlight

Yea the Bridgesii/Pach seem to throw roots easy. Maybe the Peru are different. I had a Scop not root for 8 months. It started pumping well before it grew roots. I ended up just planting it and am assuming it has grown roots :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bedofspines said:

Maybe the Peru are different. 

I was thinking about that possibility.  I'm relatively new to cactus so maybe it's normal.  Just want to speed things up a bit if possible.  Gonna try the heat pad next.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I have a large and very stubborn Peru cutting, and I've resorted to throwing it into a heated and humidified seedling rig. It's only been a few days, though.

I kept a large (diameter 5cm +) de-graft inside for about a year and then potted it up a few months ago and started really infrequent watering... It has only recently started to throw out some roots, rehydrate and grow.. 

^^ The de-graft was L.w from a peres...