The Corroboree

About a month ago I decided to try and create for our Aquarium a super-dooper twin-terbo living-breathing biological-filter incorporated

into the open-topped aquascape.

So far I bought a Black mangrove plant [avicennia geminans] from Tunze which hasn't arrived yet .. along with some zeolite for a net pot

[to sprout any propagules of the black mangrove that i might come across in august]

5x Red mangrove propagules [rhizophora mangle] from Guadeloupe ..

1x Red mangrove rooted propagule from Exeter that looks more purple than red ....

20x White mangrove seed propagules [Laguncularia racemosa] from Guadeloupe .. (sown about 17 hours ago and one already "germinated" and sprouted :3

3x Freshwater mangrove seed/propagules [barringtonia racemosa] from Thailand which also haven't arrived yet.

I figured I would create a thread to compile all the info I used to learn and have somewhere to post any excitement, failures or progress I get on the path to Mangrovia :) .

It was really nice to find that Rhizophora mangle is the mangrove that can be grown attached to a rock or wood / hard decor :) and is the most common/ easiest to source

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/album/930-mangrovia-3/

...well one white mangrove propagule seems to like me so far :3 and I was going in blind ..

2016-05-05 16.58.10.jpg2016-05-05 16.58.13.jpg

so I guess I just figured the best way to germinate them in my setup .. is much like the other species growing advice  .. :-

keep the growing tip above the water level

- although this seems to be stricter for some

and less so for others perhaps? ... we shall see eh?

2016-05-05 11.15.13.jpg

2016-05-05 11.42.49.jpg

2016-05-05 11.43.09.jpg

2016-05-05 11.45.10.jpg

2016-05-05 11.43.26.jpg

2016-05-05 11.48.04.jpg

2016-05-01 21.30.19.jpg

2016-04-27 10.23.05.jpg

2016-04-22 03.24.41.jpg

2016-05-05 16.58.10.jpg

2016-05-05 16.58.13.jpg

2016-05-05 11.15.13.jpg

2016-05-05 11.42.49.jpg

2016-05-05 11.43.09.jpg

2016-05-05 11.45.10.jpg

2016-05-05 11.43.26.jpg

2016-05-05 11.48.04.jpg

2016-05-01 21.30.19.jpg

2016-04-27 10.23.05.jpg

2016-04-22 03.24.41.jpg

2016-05-05 16.58.10.jpg

2016-05-05 16.58.13.jpg

2016-05-05 11.15.13.jpg

2016-05-05 11.42.49.jpg

2016-05-05 11.43.09.jpg

2016-05-05 11.45.10.jpg

2016-05-05 11.43.26.jpg

2016-05-05 11.48.04.jpg

2016-05-01 21.30.19.jpg

2016-04-27 10.23.05.jpg

2016-04-22 03.24.41.jpg

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 10

So I decided the final resting place for 4 of the red mangroves would be jammed into some holes in the decor wood, and the remaining two strapped to branches of other decor wood .. with a foam collar from the aeropod for 2 of them that needed their heads above water but couldn't manage it on their own :)..

2016-05-06 00.24.23.jpg2016-05-06 00.24.00.jpg

I also decided it would be a super idea to re-position all the white mangrove propagules to the same position that the (now 3) sprouters decided it was time to say hello ; in.

2016-05-06 00.24.46.jpg2016-05-06 00.26.01.jpg2016-05-06 00.45.17.jpg

To cap it off ;) I gave them a spray down and added a plastic tub as a humidity dome after noticing the tips of the rhizo's getting a little bit dry ... a quick check of 40% humidity was why .. along with hot-ish lights and windows open..

-now adjusted to 47% ambient humidity,

but hopefully much more in the dome ...  if i find my non-digital hygrometer in my house-move unpacking ... I'll get a better idea.

2016-05-06 00.25.31.jpg

2016-05-06 00.24.23.jpg

2016-05-06 00.24.00.jpg

2016-05-06 00.24.46.jpg

2016-05-06 00.26.01.jpg

2016-05-06 00.45.17.jpg

2016-05-06 00.25.31.jpg

2016-05-06 00.24.23.jpg

2016-05-06 00.24.00.jpg

2016-05-06 00.24.46.jpg

2016-05-06 00.26.01.jpg

2016-05-06 00.45.17.jpg

2016-05-06 00.25.31.jpg

• Like 1

update on the Tunze Avicennia germinans plant - Tunze has let us down (not only me) so with the refund ...

off I go to try and track down the Black mangrove all over again :3

-edit- yay.. sourced but not until summer ... *bides time*

got an aquarium or private beach? (so long as legal to grow over there)

... I'm wondering if I can germinate species of Entada in the tank :3

2016-05-07 01.39.10.jpg2016-05-07 01.22.47.jpg2016-05-07 01.23.14.jpg2016-05-07 01.23.20.jpg2016-05-07 01.38.53.jpg2016-05-07 01.39.02.jpg

http://www.madeinnys.com/mangrove/b_gymnorrhiza.htm

http://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid:biodiversity.org.au:apni.taxon:75778

http://manmedinfoline.in/mangrooimage.aspx

http://www.garf.org/news12p1.html

just found some Bruguiera sexangula (Orange mangrove) propagules to fill the black mangrove gap :)

... any surplus mangrovials to aquarium requirements can go in swamp pots or exo-terra pods

and hopefully by then I'll get to grow a blue lotus and blue lilly without them getting munched by

blue phantom plec ...

2016-05-07 01.39.10.jpg

2016-05-07 01.22.47.jpg

2016-05-07 01.23.14.jpg

2016-05-07 01.23.20.jpg

2016-05-07 01.38.53.jpg

2016-05-07 01.39.02.jpg

2016-05-07 01.39.10.jpg

2016-05-07 01.22.47.jpg

2016-05-07 01.23.14.jpg

2016-05-07 01.23.20.jpg

2016-05-07 01.38.53.jpg

2016-05-07 01.39.02.jpg

added another species of 2x propagule for the lettebox to cough up at some point soon

Rhizophora mucronata :) 

this text was under the vid

An evergreen, medium to tall tree that may reach 25 to 30 m height. As in the case of Rhizophora apiculata numerous, much-branched, hoop or pile-like stilt roots loop from branches and stems and provide support to trees. These stilt roots also function as above-ground breathing roots. Bark is brown or reddish, smooth and sometimes scaly. Leaves are single, opposite, leathery, broadly elliptic to oblong-elliptic in shape with very distinct black dots on the under surface and tipped with fine spine (mucor). Leaf stalk is 3 to 5 cm long. Inflorescence is dichotomously branched cyme, four to eight flowered and axillary in position; peduncle is slender, yellow and 2 to 3 cm long (in Rhizophora apiculata peduncle is stout and dark grey in colour). Flowers are creamy white, fleshy and fragrant. Calyx is deeply four lobed and pale yellow. Petals are four in number, light yellowish, densely haired along the margin. Viviparous propagules are longer than that of Rhizophora apiculata, 40 to 70 cm long, 2 to 2.5 cm in diameter, cylindrical, warty, green to yellowish green in colour, buoyant and dispersed by currents. Stilt root, which becomes smooth after removing the bark, was used in the past to make windows of traditional houses. Bark of the tree is used as a dying agent for fishing lines. Dye produced from the bark is very thick and paint like, which makes fishing lines water proof. Wood is light weight, less durable and small in size due to short and crooked trunk. Poles are used for boat plying. Small pieces of wood are used for docking the boats for repair. In many countries very fine quality charcoal are produced from the wood. Ecology, propagation and management: It grows well in deep soft mud, which is rich in humus. It is also capable of growing well in fine sands to coarse stones and coral ramparts. In higher salinity it develops a straggling or semi-prostate habit. It can be easily multiplied by propagules. Mature propagules have light green or yellow cotyledon and they can be collected from trees or gathered from the forest floor and water. Propagules of about 50 cm that have not yet started rooting alone are used for plantation. They can be planted by inserting one-third of their length into the mud. Sprouting completes within three weeks and in ten months it grows to a height of 100 to 125 cm.

Un arbre moyen à grand arbre qui peut atteindre 25 à 30 m de hauteur. Comme dans le cas de Rhizophora apiculata nombreux, très ramifiées, cerceau ou pile comme des racines échasses boucle à partir de branches et des tiges et fournir un soutien aux arbres. Ces racines échasses fonctionnent aussi des racines respiratoires comme ci-dessus du sol. L'écorce est brune ou rougeâtre, lisse et parfois écailleuse. Les feuilles sont simples, opposées, coriaces, largement elliptiques à oblongues-elliptiques avec des points noirs très distincts sur la surface inférieure et basculés avec la colonne vertébrale fine (mucor). Feuille tige est de 3 à 5 cm de long. Inflorescence est dichotomique ramifié cyme, quatre à huit fleurs et axillaires; pédoncule est mince, jaune et 2 à 3 cm de long (en Rhizophora apiculata pédoncule est grosse et de couleur gris foncé). Les fleurs sont blanc crème, charnu et parfumé. Calyx est profondément quatre lobées et jaune pâle. Les pétales sont au nombre de quatre, lumière jaunâtre, densément Bruns le long de la marge. propagules vivipares sont plus longues que celle de Rhizophora apiculata, 40 à 70 cm de long, 2 à 2,5 cm de diamètre, cylindrique, verruqueuse, vert au vert jaunâtre, dynamique et dispersés par les courants. Échasses racine, qui devient lisse après avoir enlevé l'écorce, a été utilisé dans le passé pour faire des fenêtres des maisons traditionnelles. Écorce de l'arbre est utilisé comme agent de mort pour les lignes de pêche. Dye produite à partir de l'écorce est très épaisse et peindre comme, ce qui rend la preuve des lignes de pêche de l'eau. Le bois est léger, moins durable et de petite taille en raison de court et tordu tronc. Polonais sont utilisés pour bateaux sillonnent.

This youtuber 'floweraddict''s vids and info descriptions are ace

Heritiera littoralis Aiton (Looking-glass mangroves) Kaharuvah gas

A medium to large sized, much branched, evergreen tree that can attain heights up to 30 m. Presence of well-developed buttresses, which develop into plank roots, is a characteristic feature of this species. They function like air-breathing roots and also provide mechanical support to the trunk. Bark is greyish, fissured and scaly. Leaves are simple, alternate in arrangement, elliptical to obovate in shape, 10 to 15 cm long, dark green on top and very white to silvery white underneath. Inflorescence is loose panicles, up to 10 cm long and axillary or terminal in position. Flowers are small, densely haired and unisexual. Male flowers are smaller than female flowers. Calyx is bell shaped, four to six lobed and reddish in colour. Petals are purplish or brown in colour. Fruit is large, woody, smooth and ellipsoid in shape with a prominent dorsal ridge or `keel". Fruit colour changes from green to brown when mature. Fruits are buoyant and dispersed by currents and when the fruit is floating, the "keel" acts as a sail, aiding dispersal. It is one of the important timber trees found in the mangroves. Heartwood is brown, red-brown or dark red brown in colour, coarse textured, fine grained, hard and strong and takes polish well but is nondurable. It is considered as a utility timber, used for boat building, flooring, furniture, interior finishing and decorative veneers. It was informed by some of the elders that in the Maldives, trees of H. littoralis were present in considerable numbers in some of the southern islands but now it has become rare.

Une moyenne à grande taille, très ramifiée, arbre à feuilles persistantes qui peut atteindre des hauteurs allant jusqu'à 30 m. Présence de contreforts bien développés, qui se développent dans les racines de planches, est une caractéristique de cette espèce. Ils fonctionnent comme des racines respirent de l'air et fournissent également un soutien mécanique au tronc. L'écorce est grisâtre, fissurée et écailleuse. Les feuilles sont simples, alternes dans l'arrangement, elliptiques à obovales en forme, de 10 à 15 cm de long, vert foncé sur le dessus et très blanc au blanc argenté en dessous. Inflorescence est panicules lâches, jusqu'à 10 cm de long et axillaire ou terminale en position. Les fleurs sont petites, densément cheveux et unisexuées. Les fleurs mâles sont plus petits que les fleurs femelles. Calyx est en forme de cloche, de quatre à six lobes et de couleur rougeâtre. Les pétales sont violacé ou de couleur brune. Fruit est grande, boisé, lisse et ellipsoïde en forme avec une crête dorsale proéminente ou `quille". Changements de couleur de fruits du vert au brun à maturité. Les fruits sont porteurs et dispersés par les courants et quand le fruit est flottant, les «actes de quille" comme une voile, facilitant la dispersion. Il est l'un des arbres de bois importants trouvés dans les mangroves. Heartwood est brun, rouge-brun ou brun foncé de couleur rouge, texture grossière, fines et grain, dur et fort et prend poli mais non durable . Il est considéré comme un bois utilitaire, utilisé pour la construction de bateaux, les planchers, les meubles, la finition intérieure et placages décoratifs. Il a été informé par certains des anciens que, dans les Maldives, les arbres de H. littoralis étaient présents en grand nombre dans certains les îles du sud, mais maintenant il est devenu rare.

-yet again another cool mind seems to have only just uploaded em right at the time I need them :) .. how kind :) !

Rhizophora apiculata – Thakafathi

Published on May 3, 2016

An evergreen, medium sized, much-branched tree that is capable of reaching 20 m height but most of the individuals found in Maldives are only about 6 to 10 m tall. It is characterized by the presence of numerous stilt roots, which are looping from branches and trunk bases and provide support to trees; they also function as air-breathing roots. Bark is grey or dark grey in colour and sometimes longitudinally fissured. Leaves are simple, opposite in arrangement, narrowly elliptic, apiculate (with abrupt slender tip) and smaller than that of other Rhizophora species. Inflorescence is a two-flowered cyme on short, stout, dark grey peduncle and axillary in position. Calyx is four lobed, greenish yellow inside and reddish green outside. Petals are four in number and white coloured; not hairy. Viviparous propagules are shorter than that of R. mucronata, 25 to 30 cm long, green to brown in colour, warty or relatively smooth, buoyant and dispersed by currents. Wood, which is light weight and less durable, is not widely used. It is sometimes used for docking the boat for repair and poles are used for boat plying. Stilt root, which becomes smooth after removing the bark, was once used for window frames in traditional houses. Though it is an excellent firewood, in the Maldives it is not used for this purpose. Ecology, propagation and management: It prefers deep soft mud for better performance but is capable of growing in sandy soil and coral ramparts. In unfavourable conditions, it develops a straggling or semi-prostrate habit. It is easily propagated by propagules. Matured propagules can be identified by the red collar in the cotyledon. They can be collected from trees or gathered from ground and water. If fallen propagules are used, their surface should be checked for pinholes caused by borer insects. Propagules can be stored for five days in buckets filled with brackish water. Daily dousing with water is necessary to prevent desiccation. Propagules can be directly planted by inserting one-third of their length into sediments. Nursery-raised seedlings can also be used for plantation. Seedlings of at least 30 cm in height and at least with four leaves and kept in nursery for four to five months should be used for outplanting. Survival rate and performance is similar both in direct planting of propagules and planting of nursery-raised seedlings.

Un arbre, arbre de taille moyenne, très ramifiée qui est capable d'atteindre 20 m de hauteur, mais la plupart des individus se trouvent dans les Maldives sont seulement environ 6 à 10 m de hauteur. Elle est caractérisée par la présence de nombreuses racines échasses, qui sont en boucle à partir de branches et de bases de tronc et fournissent un appui aux arbres; ils fonctionnent aussi comme des racines de respiration aérienne. L'écorce est gris ou de couleur foncée et fissurée parfois longitudinalement. Les feuilles sont simples, opposées dans l'arrangement, étroitement elliptique, apiculé (à pointe mince abrupte) et inférieure à celle des autres espèces de Rhizophora. Inflorescence est une cyme deux fleurs à court, gros, pédoncule gris foncé et axillaires. Calyx est quatre lobes, jaune verdâtre à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur rougeâtre vert. Les pétales sont au nombre de quatre et de couleur blanche; pas poilue. propagules vivipares sont plus courtes que celle de R. mucronata, 25 à 30 cm de long, vert au brun, verruqueuse ou relativement lisse, dynamique et dispersés par les courants. Wood, qui est un poids léger et moins durable, est peu utilisé. Il est parfois utilisé pour l'amarrage du bateau pour la réparation et les poteaux sont utilisés pour bateaux sillonnent. Échasses racine, qui devient lisse après avoir enlevé l'écorce, était autrefois utilisé pour les cadres de fenêtres dans les maisons traditionnelles. Bien qu'il soit un excellent bois de chauffage, dans les Maldives ne sont pas utilisés à cette fin.

and another different black mangrove to avicennia..

Lumnitzera racemosa (Black mangrove) Burevi

Published on May 3, 2016

An evergreen, medium sized, erect and much-branched tree that grows up to 10 m tall but in the Maldives most of the trees are only around 4 to 6 m in height. Above-ground breathing roots are normally absent but in moist environments, small looping lateral roots may develop. Bark is grey in colour and fissured longitudinally in older trees. Leaves are simple, alternate in arrangement, small in size, 3 to 7 cm long and 2 to 3 cm wide, succulent, obovate in shape with an indent in the tip; leaf margin is slightly wavy. Inflorescence is spike, 2 to 3 cm long and axillary in position. Flowers are small and erect with green-coloured tube-like calyx, which is divided into five lobes at the tip. Petals are five, white in colour and arranged alternate to sepals. Stamens are ten in number, free, arranged in two whorls, five stamens at the base of the petal and remaining five at the base of the lobes of the calyx. There is no vivipary or cryptovivipary. Fruit is vase-shaped, 1 to 2 cm long, yellowish green in colour, glossy, corky, buoyant and dispersed by currents. Each fruit contains one oblong ovoid seed. Main trunk provides a hard and durable timber. In the Maldives, timber is used for wooden house construction and sticks of lesser diameter are used for rafters on wooden roof houses. Larger wood is sometimes used in boat building. Stems are used for pushing boats in shallow water. It is considered as excellent firewood. High-quality charcoal is prepared from larger stems. Ecology, propagation and management: It prefers relatively less moist, well drained, sandy soil mixed with clay for better performance. It also prefers relatively higher ground level than other mangrove plants. It is a non-viviparous mangrove species and seeds are similar to terrestrial plants. It is normally propagated by nursery-raised seedlings and wildlings. Mature fruits are brown in colour and can be easily collected from trees or gathered from ground. Fruits are normally used for planting instead of seeds. Fruits are sown in a slanting position in containers, keeping half of the fruit inside the mud. Fruits should be stored in wet condition for three to five days before sowing. Germination rate decreases with increasing salinity and no germination will be seen if the salinity increases beyond 25 ppt. Nursery-raised seedlings 20 to 30 cm, which can be obtained within a period of ten months, can be used for outplanting.

Un arbre, de taille moyenne, ériger et arbre très ramifié qui pousse jusqu'à 10 m de haut, mais dans les Maldives la plupart des arbres sont seulement autour de 4 à 6 m de hauteur. Hors-terre respirer racines sont normalement absents, mais dans des environnements humides, les petites racines latérales en boucle peuvent se développer. L'écorce est de couleur grise et fissurée longitudinalement dans les arbres plus âgés. Les feuilles sont simples, alternes dans l'arrangement, de petite taille, de 3 à 7 cm de long et de 2 à 3 cm de large, succulent, obovées avec un tiret dans la pointe; La marge des feuilles est légèrement ondulé. Inflorescence est spike, 2 à 3 cm de long et axillaires. Les fleurs sont petites et dressées avec le tube comme calice de couleur verte, qui est divisé en cinq lobes à la pointe. Les pétales sont cinq, de couleur blanche et disposés alternative à sépales. Étamines sont au nombre de dix, libre, disposés en deux tours, cinq étamines à la base des pétales et cinq autres à la base des lobes du calice. Il n'y a pas viviparité ou cryptovivipary. Fruit est, 1 à 2 cm de long, vert jaunâtre, brillant, liégeuse, dynamique et dispersé par les courants en forme de vase. Chaque fruit contient une graine ovoïde oblongue. tronc principal fournit un bois dur et durable. Aux Maldives, le bois est utilisé pour la construction de maisons en bois et des bâtons de petit diamètre sont utilisés pour les chevrons sur les maisons de toit en bois. bois Agrandir est parfois utilisé dans la construction de bateaux. Tiges sont utilisés pour pousser les bateaux dans l'eau peu profonde. Il est considéré comme un excellent bois de chauffage.

Sonneratia caseolaris (Crabapple, mangrove apple) Kuhlhavah

Published on May 3, 2016

A small- to medium- sized sized, evergreen tree 8 to 10 m tall with open spreading crown, horizontal branches and slender twigs. Above-ground branching roots (pneumatophores) are peg like, 50 to 90 cm tall and up to 7 cm in diameter with spongy outer surface. Bark is grey and flaky in the older trees. Leaves are simple and shiny; opposite in arrangement, oval to oblong in shape; apex is rounded but with a prominent recurved tip. Leaves are 4 to 8 cm long with short petiole having a reddish-pink base. Inflorescence is one to a few flowered cyme, terminal in position on outer twigs. Flowers are large, 8 to 10 cm wide with prominent red and white stamens; calyx six to eight lobed and green coloured and petals are red. Flowers open only in the late evening, lasting one night only; nectar is plenty in the calyx. Fruit is round but flattened, green in colour, with horizontally extended calyx and persistent long style. Timber is heavy and hard, resistant to wood boring molluscs and other pests. In the Maldives, it is used for boat building and house construction. Fruit is edible, which tastes like cheese, is eaten raw and relished by children and adult alike. It is also sold in the market. It some countries fruits are used in and for making vinegar. Pieces of pneumatophores are used as fishing floats. Ecology, propagation and management: It is normally found in the places of mangrove wetlands where soil and running water salinity is low. However, it can tolerate soil salinity upto 35 ppt. In the Maldives, it is located mostly around very shallow depressions situated somewhat away from the shoreline. It is propagated mainly by nursery-raised seedlings. Mature fruits detach easily from the calyx and float in the water. They can be easily collected during the low tide and collected fruits can be kept in a heap for a few days to allow the outer skin to rot. After that seeds can be easily separated by squeezing the fruit in water; viable seeds float. These seeds are kept in brackish water for about five days and most of them sink in two days and sprout in five days and then again float with extended roots. These sprouted seeds can be used for sowing in containers in the nursery. Seedlings reach 30 to 40 cm in height within a period of five to six months, which can be used for outplanting.

Une petite à moyenne, arbre à feuilles persistantes de 8 à 10 m de taille de taille de haut avec couronne ouverte propagation, branches horizontales et brindilles minces. Hors terre ramification des racines (pneumatophores) sont peg comme, de 50 à 90 cm de hauteur et jusqu'à 7 cm de diamètre, à surface extérieure spongieuse. L'écorce est grise et écailleuse dans les arbres plus âgés. Les feuilles sont simples et brillants; opposé dans l'arrangement, de forme ovale à une forme oblongue; apex est arrondi mais avec une pointe recourbée de premier plan. Les feuilles sont de 4 à 8 cm de long avec pétiole court ayant une base rose rougeâtre. Inflorescence est l'un à quelques cyme fleuri, le terminal en position sur les rameaux extérieurs. Les fleurs sont grandes, de 8 à 10 cm de large avec des étamines rouges et blancs importants; calices six à huit pétales lobées et verts de couleur et sont rouges. Fleurs ouvertes seulement en fin de soirée, d'une durée d'une nuit seulement; nectar est beaucoup dans le calice. Le fruit est rond, mais aplati, de couleur verte, avec calice étendu horizontalement et style long persistant. Le bois est lourd et dur, résistant à bois mollusques ennuyeux et autres parasites. Aux Maldives, il est utilisé pour la construction de bateaux et la construction de maisons. Le fruit est comestible, qui a le goût du fromage, se mange cru et savouré par les enfants et les adultes de même. Il est également vendu sur le marché. Il certains pays fruits sont utilisés dans et pour la fabrication de vinaigre. Des morceaux de pneumatophores sont utilisés comme flotteurs de pêche. Ecologie, de propagation et de la gestion: Il est normalement trouvé dans les endroits des zones humides de mangrove où le sol et le fonctionnement de la salinité de l'eau est faible. Cependant, il peut tolérer la salinité du sol jusqu'à 35 ppt.

...found another species of Bruguiera (conjugata), to try propagules of, from Hawaii ..

and added about an inch of sand and a slate cheese board into the scape ..

2016-05-10 00.11.41.jpg

white mangrove props are looking hasty ..

2016-05-09 00.44.14.jpg2016-05-09 00.44.27.jpg

added a Psychotria alba to the top scape temporarily

2016-05-09 00.47.48.jpg

.... also tried to figure out how I'm going to fit all these mangroves in ... and whether to go hunt some Nypa fruticans seed too ...

2016-05-10 00.11.41.jpg

2016-05-09 00.44.14.jpg

2016-05-09 00.44.27.jpg

2016-05-09 00.47.48.jpg

2016-05-10 00.11.41.jpg

2016-05-09 00.44.14.jpg

2016-05-09 00.44.27.jpg

2016-05-09 00.47.48.jpg

• Like 2

Well what a wonderful way to spend some time listening to jj cale and reading / viewing this thread(and i'm no where near consuming it ....Thank-you Horsey - i love your addictions man.

on a side note - in my macedonian dialect - "taka" means "like that"

and                                                               "fatee" means "grabbed on to"

so, when i read the word     

Thakafathi

my mind literally translated that into english as "and like that it grabbed on""......pretty apt when i envisage how the roots grab onto their substrate and grow.

cheers man your tank work and the rfb are just amazeballs.

cheers

• Like 3

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Avicennia_germinans.html

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Laguncularia_racemosa.html

http://eol.org/pages/487142/details

ok the Bruguiera conjugata appears to be actually:

Bruguiera gymnorrhizia , so I should probably call it that from now on before i fall into the trap of gettn set in my ways over a name of a plant again ...

https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_energy/Bruguiera_gymnorrhiza.html

http://bie.ala.org.au/species/urn:lsid:biodiversity.org.au:apni.taxon:296770

...and some mangrove porn i managed to lay my eyes on

Grey mangrove - Avicennia marina

Grey_Mangrove_seedlings.JPG

Avicennia germinans - Black mangrove a.

Black-mangrove-vivaparous-seeds.jpg

apparently these sexy angulars were once thunk to be extinct...

...what a beautiful feeling that they aren't at all :)

2016-05-17 12.00.59.jpg2016-05-17 12.01.50.jpg2016-05-17 12.02.16.jpg2016-05-17 12.02.19.jpg2016-05-17 12.08.15.jpg2016-05-17 12.28.21.jpg2016-05-17 12.28.47.jpg2016-05-17 12.28.57.jpg2016-05-17 12.29.28.jpg2016-05-17 12.29.42.jpg2016-05-17 12.41.03.jpg2016-05-17 13.03.45.jpg

also found the "missing" 20th Laguncularia propagule ... bit too deep for m to do anything about it so I guess there's an opportunity to find out if they can survive a start that deep :3

2016-05-17 13.04.30.jpg

2016-05-17 12.00.59.jpg

2016-05-17 12.01.50.jpg

2016-05-17 12.02.16.jpg

2016-05-17 12.02.19.jpg

2016-05-17 12.08.15.jpg

2016-05-17 12.28.21.jpg

2016-05-17 12.28.47.jpg

2016-05-17 12.28.57.jpg

2016-05-17 12.29.28.jpg

2016-05-17 12.29.42.jpg

2016-05-17 12.41.03.jpg

2016-05-17 13.03.45.jpg

2016-05-17 13.04.30.jpg

2016-05-17 12.00.59.jpg

2016-05-17 12.01.50.jpg

2016-05-17 12.02.16.jpg

2016-05-17 12.02.19.jpg

2016-05-17 12.08.15.jpg

2016-05-17 12.28.21.jpg

2016-05-17 12.28.47.jpg

2016-05-17 12.28.57.jpg

2016-05-17 12.29.28.jpg

2016-05-17 12.29.42.jpg

2016-05-17 12.41.03.jpg

2016-05-17 13.03.45.jpg

2016-05-17 13.04.30.jpg

• Like 1

more cool links

http://www.niobioinformatics.in/mangroves/MANGCD/gro.htm

http://emyshoran.blogspot.co.uk/2010_11_01_archive.html

and... 3 Barringtonia racemosa seeds arrived from Thailand.. , well 2 i guess ,

one was totally fuct with holes in it and everything ...

but the other two are being "floated" for now in the aqu'.

Bruguiera gymnorrhizia/conjugata propagules from Hawaii also arrived looking way too similar to the sexangula for comfort ...

fortunately all the 'gymno' batch float unaided so that's one way of telling my batches apart ...

Here's a pdf http://lkcnhm.nus.edu.sg/dna/docs/ecb82a5bf09257209a08147c2d86900c.pdf that I'm mulling over to try and get an idea if these are even gymno's (for being so short)-and not just rather more expensive sexangula's.. than the last ones :)

will edit in pics later

I was wondering what all these pictures on the main Forum page were about...

Awesome!

• Like 1

just a little landing project to keep a hoss ticking over with while i try to figure out where me caisher phlebs are in all the stuff i had to rapidly move from our olde appartment a month n a half ago while battling a few day draggenz that needed slaying,, :3

..and all in motion toward plucking up the confidence to walk the acacial path properly ... amidst thicker and faster more recently upgraded fire breathing draggenz that equally need slaying

(imagine the bats scene in fear and loathing and swap for dragons ;) )

Gotta say too though ,

Biggest Hug of thanks to Amz for reigniting my mangrovial dreams and in that , the encouragement to make the dreams a reality - or at least give it my best shot :) and hopefully I can look fwd to seeing Amz's aquatic arts on the mangrovial path ,

n making a thread be the next best thing in the mean time for eye food.

• Like 1