The Corroboree
saylor twift

visual healing aid

hey everyone! 

first of all thanks for taking the time to read, ive just recently moved home from melb to help my mum who is terminally ill, she spends most of her time laying in bed but she has a big sliding glass door that leads out to a strip of grass that has been bare since i can remember, since ive been planting like crazy there is some flowers there now and whn i see her in the morning looking out her door she seems much more uplifted and positive, id like to continue doing this and make the space next to her room a beautiful healing garden for her, if anyone has seen or come across any flowers that stand out to you or that u feel positive around please let me know i would greatly appreciate any input, thanks again

saylor  

Don't forget pots as well mate. Can be very useful if the dirt conditions are challenging.

Could also be useful to give some height to lower growing plants.

Orange gerbera is one I can think of personally, a bit of sunshine I found even when there is none ....got me through some rough shit when In hospital with no view to the outside world/sky and a fair way from home.

DETA-283.jpg

Readily available in a whole range of colours now , and some colours may be particularly relevant for your mother.

If you can give some idea of the growing conditions such as soil type, hours of sun exposure, and aspect (which way the site faces) some others up that way may have some ideas.

Good work mate:wink:

WB

Edited by waterboy 2.0
cause I'm special

thanks heaps man :) i hope you are doing much better now, hospitals are a pretty grim place to spend any amount of time.. i never realised how much a bit of colour and energy could make so much of a difference in the mental state of a person, i have alot more respect for my garden. funny u mention the pots i just grabbed a heap off a friend and they are awesome for starting things off and as u said giving some different levels,   the soil here is super sandy and ive been trying to amend patches of it with compost, homemade fish emulsion, woodash and adding bags of searles potting mix, im waiting for my ph tester to arrive from ebay aswell so that should make it easier for me to see whats happening. the block faces east and receives about 6-8 hours of sun also  the parts that dont get sun have alot of reflected light off our white fence so things that grow in the shade do really well too. I like those gerberas they look like little suns! thanks heaps for replying man stoked! 

saylor   

• Like 2

Its not just colour(and form/structure I'll add), but smells and the tactile aspects of plants can be beneficial for some folk (think gardens for the blind). Have also watched furry Lambs Ears settle down a "rowdy" kids with  disabilities. I have spoken with a fella in aged care that has told me similar with dementia patients.

Sun doesnt sound like an issue for the site, as long as the sand isn't hydrophobic its really just rapid drainage that kept the grass at bay:wink: Looks like you are onto it good though.

If in talking to your mother you can glean some intel...lol:wink:...like about gardens and such when she was younger, or from a family member you may also find a plant that has some great relevance.

As aside, I was asked why I refused anyone sending on cut flowers during my stint and recovery as such . Its because they wilt and fade, no one needs that about. There is more power in a live plant...

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 3

"As aside, I was asked why I refused anyone sending on cut flowers during my stint and recovery as such . Its because they wilt and fade, no one needs that about. There is more power in a live plant..."

dude....totally! also thats such a good idea man i reckon my old man would be able to get some secret info for me for mothers day too hahaha the lambs ears are an awesome idea im not sure why they say its irresistible to children as soon as i saw a pic i wanted to touch it, maybe im a child... im gonna look up some gardens for the blind thats a sick idea too.. i made some cuttings of night jasmine for their smell also some patchouli, yesterday i planted a bunch of foxglove and snapdragons,sage and wormwood, thanks heaps for takin the time to reply, not that i was unsure about what im doing just to get some ideas an bounce some shit off someone else is making me stoked an i feel like im on the right track 

To me, the mute button is your friend with the following, but the visuals are nice. Not exactly what you asked for, but this might help brighten a gloomy night. I hope your family and mum are holding up as best as possible.

• Like 1

thanks so much for the kind words :) these cacti look cgi! so beautiful..