The Corroboree
Yeti101

#PsychedelicsBecause

Ok, so this has been happening for a week or so now -  and because I'm the least coolest person here, everyone will have heard about this already.

But just in case you hadn't:

http://psychedelicsbecause.org/

#PsychedelicsBecause Social Activism Campaign

Psychedelics and psychoactive plants and fungi have been used for millennia by people and cultures across the globe for healing, insight, reconnecting, expanding consciousness, and spirituality. Today, these long-known benefits are also being validated through the lens of scientific research.
Despite this, in the United States and most countries, unless you’re in a protected religious group, psychedelics are banned and listed under Schedule I (“no currently accepted medical use”) or the equivalent, making them completely illegal, punishable by lengthy imprisonment, or worse.
It’s time to speak out using the tools we have at our fingertips: social media. Add your voice to the campaign to bring depth, diversity, and vision to the conversation around #PsychedelicsBecause these substances hold tremendous promise when used responsibly.

This campaign aims to actively:

Share stories humanizing the diversity of psychedelic users

Increase awareness around the benefits of psychedelics

Shift public attitudes and Reverse decades of negative stigma surrounding psychedelic and psychoactive drugs

Educate people about current scientific research

Promote psychedelic harm reduction by understanding the true risks and how to manage them

Help end arrests, incarceration, and criminalization associated with global drug prohibition

Unite psychedelic, drug policy reform, and harm reduction movements

What You Can Do

1. Share your story and spread the message on social media using #PsychedelicsBecause

*Disclaimer! We realize outing one’s personal use of psychedelics is a potentially risky act and not all of us have the ability or privilege to do so. Be smart. Be safe

2. Join the community in New York City on April 19th (Bicycle Day:) for a group bike ride and storytelling in front of the UN, while they hold a Special Session to address the state of global drug policy (UNGASS 2016)

I know not everyone puts much stock in social media campaigns (and for good reason). But I think it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to raise awareness, challenge stereotypes and all that stuff. Check out the website and decide for yourself.

http://psychedelicsbecause.org/

• Like 7

You're cool bro :wink: Dont sell youself short

I didnt know about this (thanks Yeti).....shit....I'm an uncool kid now...lol

• Like 3

I'm so cool I don't even need to know about this... but not really  :blush:  :unsure:

• Like 3

Hey yets i have a feeling you might actually be the coolest person here....

I am a fan of this, however i don't have twatter or farcebook so i can't really contribute...

I have often been thinking the HR and DLR fields had a deafening absence of psychedelic focus. This could give us the boost in publicity we need. 

• Like 3

seeing only coolth mate - but hadnt seen this before though so thank you very kindly Yeti *hugs*

that felt so good to watch and hear real people being real about reality

• Like 1

Thanks for trying to reflate my ego, I'll be Ok. I had just come across this and I was all like 'wow there's this new thing' but it wasn't that new, that's all. That, and too much time on social media has over-inflated my sense of immediacy I think.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the video and it's been nice to see people from a broad and, at times stereotype-breaking range of backgrounds standing up and saying either that they've used psychedelics or support their use. The number and breadth of organisations that are backing this is impressive too.

I'm not an expert in these things, but IMHO, this seems like a good way to start. Clearly the people behind this are playing a long game - get the conversation and awareness going for a while (a year perhaps), then start to focus in and ramp up to specific calls to action for supporters to take. This second step is essential, and I'm going to follow the progress of this with very keen interest. (As an aside, I've recently seen the best web-based enabling of contacting a politician for a campaign site, but that's another story.)

Anyway, I'm working up to joining in with this publicly. I just need to work out what I'm going to say - I might be able to get away with being unconventional (controversial even), but I won't be forgiven (professionally) for sloppy reasoning. I'd need a whole essay to say everything I wanted anyway. I know it's symbolic, and that it might not achieve anything, but for some reason I feel it's worth doing. Is this what optimism feels like? :wink:

• Like 4

Psychedelic research should never have been stopped and the substances banned way back in the 1960s , mainly because of the offensive [ to governments and the majority population ] and ludicrous activities of folk such as Leary and Kesey , etc ,.  The   " acid tests  "  , and  1000s of kids  who  " turned on , tuned in , and dropped out "  ensured prohibition and brought about the end of legitimate scientific research , despite a great deal of positive and very beneficial results from the legit study and treatments .... [ for example , Leary"s  research on criminal recidivism , before he lost the plot ; or Osmond"s  treatment of alcoholics with psychedelics that produced very positive results .  These are but two examples of a huge amount of documented positive  research data .] 

Fortunately , MAPS and other organizations seem to be making some gains in one day again being able to conduct legitimate psychedelic research . With the benefit of hindsight and genuine researchers , the mistakes of the past are unlikely to be repeated . Hopefully these amazing and beneficial substances will be treated with more respect and dignity than previously instead of sensational inebriants  , and perhaps indeed really prove to be a benefit for humanity after all ...

Edited by Heretic