The Corroboree
at0m

at0m moved to the country! (with pictures)

lol...every state has different names for fencing components.

Good to see you going gangbusters at0m

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 2

A bit wonky but will look way nicer with a spine and support poles on :) (Should out to @Torsten for his help)

6LTQbar.jpg

And these... they're called flexi pallet collars or something? They stack perfectly and were free + petrol :lol: and this is only half of what we got!

VVoglPr.jpg

Thinking I may add a two high, two long 'bed' in the middle too and put some dwarf fruit trees in there. Just don't want to block the path too much as this will be the entrance to the tunnel.

Will ultimately be fenced in with a gate just to the left of where I'm standing in the last photo. Will see how much work I need to do to keep the wasclly wabbits out...

Now to find a supplier of a shitload of shadecloth who can weld it for us... and order the weed mat. and the gravel. and compost/soil/whateverthefuckimgoingtoputinthebeds. and decide what to plant in the beds.

Sometimes I think I did this in the wrong order...:blink:

• Like 5

aGHq0Pk.jpg

And there it is during the day with some light out :) Sorted the gravel, weed mat, soil for beds and some other shit. Just need shade cloth and something to plant now :P 

• Like 2

So we had some hiccups with the tunnel... The ribs aren't strong enough to hold the weight of the spine. :ana:

Solution: The "support poles" are now actually going to be 100% load bearing poles and are going in first. The spine then attaches to them and then the tops are bent down onto and attach to the spine. This is on hold for a week until the old man gets back from meetings in Sydney though...

In the mean time... the raised beds are getting filled up with some real nice soil. No Bunnings trips for all of this luckily. Being in the country means we're just down the road from the a wholesale gravel/dirt/bark/compost place :) Trailer loads for $20 (1 trailer = 4 beds).

j0os3po.jpg

h5NWGbE.jpg

4EwcbSU.jpg

• Like 2

T1xsyZF.jpg

After a weather induced hiatus, the tunnel is coming along again. Cloth is cable-tied up and will hold until tomorrow when we can get to sewing it.

We started sewing under the veranda but quickly realised that was going to take a LONG time and lining up things was hard work. So after a "Hey... dumb question" moment, we realised we could put the sides up and then pull the top over, fix it in place with cable ties and then sew it up later.

Down the back you'll see a little wooden frame too which was previously going to be a little sleeping house for the mini goats we're planning on getting but we decided a shipping container would probably work better for them so  it's going to be repurposed as a hot house attached to the tunnel. This is where seedlings can stay nicely warm and humid until they can go play with the big kids. It will obviously wrapped in poly :)

and finally yes, it is a bit wonky... the right stands up a little straighter than the left but our imperfections are what makes us beautiful :)

• Like 4

I love your optimism of combining plants with mini goats :P

• Like 3

They will be in their own fenced off area jeez :P I do hope I can work out how to do fencing though... I'm learning a lot.

for mini goats the best thing is to use dog/dingo mesh. the one with the narrow spacing on the verticals. It keeps them safe an it keeps your plants safe. Goats can do an inordinate amount of damage in a very short time.
Also run an electric wire along the inside at about 400-450 to stop them rubbing on the fence - it will last a lot longer that way (males will trash them in a week during rut if you don't have that). I also run one on top and one on the outside to stop dogs from trying to get in.

Look into steel fencing systems for strainer posts, such as 'easy stay'. More expensive to buy, but last longer and installs quickly.

• Like 3

oh btw 

4NWGFth.jpg

1KilTAo.jpg

• Like 7

Today is a sad day. The large acacia out the front was destroyed in the storm overnight largely due to falling gum branches :(

It was beautiful and in full flower but when we awoke this morning it was entirely uprooted and missing near half of it's branches.

We managed to clean it up a bit and place it back down into the soil but I'm unsure if it will survive. You can see the pile of dropped branches and such behind it on the right.

oT5jYW6AsdCbmxk9St_POZKd1-UULBPGsXsJvR1r

I'm going to have to plant some more acacia in it's memory. A dozen acuminata maybe?

As a small update as well, things are progressing pretty slowly around here due to winter. I've made some shelves in the shed which I'm now propagating all my chillies on/in. They're probably a bit happier to be in there rather than an old veggie esky with a single CFL globe :)  I'll get some pictures of this soon.

I think I may be going pretty overboard with this chilli thing too... Maybe that's a good thing? I should have a good amount of seed (and probably pods) to share around sometime next year :)

• Like 2

On 6/12/2016 at 5:23 PM, Torsten said:

for mini goats the best thing is to use dog/dingo mesh. the one with the narrow spacing on the verticals. It keeps them safe an it keeps your plants safe. Goats can do an inordinate amount of damage in a very short time.

Also run an electric wire along the inside at about 400-450 to stop them rubbing on the fence - it will last a lot longer that way (males will trash them in a week during rut if you don't have that). I also run one on top and one on the outside to stop dogs from trying to get in.

Look into steel fencing systems for strainer posts, such as 'easy stay'. More expensive to buy, but last longer and installs quickly.

and don't let your dick touch the fencing when going for a slash - it's a weird feeling of pooing and cracking a bar simultaneously.........some like that :P but electricity voltage thru the cock is a real problem in first world countries

• Like 2

^that is so the best description...ROFL

Things happen for a reason at0m...may not always be evident why though:wink:

• Like 1