The Corroboree
Alchemica

The Molecular Links of Re-Emerging Therapy: A Review of Evidence of Brahmi (Bacopa monniera).

6g/day dried brahmi extract* has become a daily addition to my diet. Can't say I've noticed much from it but my brain is still in recovery mode. Anyone experience benefits from it?

The convolution associated with memory is being resolved with advancement in neuroscience. According to the concurrent assumptions, synaptic plasticity forms one of the basis of memory formation, stabilization and strengthening. In Alzheimer's disease (AD), which is generally characterized by memory dysfunction, connections amongst the cells in the brain are attenuated or lost leading to degeneration of neural networks. Numerous attempts have been made to find new therapies for memory dysfunction with increasing attention and investments being laid on herbal drugs. Many herbal plants and extracts have already documented beneficial results when tested for antiamnesic effects. Brahmi (Bacopa monniera) is one such common herbal drug, which is employed for a long time in the Indian and Chinese medical system in order to treat several disorders. Previous research has shown that Brahmi exerts many pharmacological effects including memory boosting capacity in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease and Schizophrenia, exhibiting antiparkinsonian, antistroke, and anticonvulsant potentials. The present review discusses the chemical constituents of Brahmi along with in vitro and in vivo studies based on the pharmacological effects exerted by it. The efficacy of Brahmi in treating various disorders has evoked sufficient research in recent years and now it is a time to launch multiple clinical trials.

* Using a preparation containing ginseng, brahmi, ginkgo and B-vitamins "Clinically trialed - 6hrs improved working memory"

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1

Only recently added a gotu kola and brahmi powder mix to my diet. Yet to really notice effects myself.

• Like 1

I use brahmi regularly, and have been over the last few years. I find it is accumulative, after eating fresh handfuls every day that after a month or 2, my memory recall is quicker, clearer, my vocabulary is extended and i feel 'faster' in my mind. I have also used ayurvedic mixes of brahmi, and eaten powders etc. I have noticed the best effects from eating raw & fresh. Recently (past 1 -2 months) I stopped eating it by itself and started mixing it in my smoothie, I feel like it doesn't work as well this way, though I couldn't prove that at this point. It is believed that the healing qualities of bitters are in the bitter flavour itself (which brahmi is), stimulating bile production and kick starting digestion. I wonder if some of the alkaloids or other things in brahmi are better assimilated in this same way... Stick at it every day, in whatever form you are having, and make an assessment at the 3 month mark :)

Edited by endotheogen
  • Like 2

I've been adding it to my smoothies. How would you recommend taking it? I have it as a powder.

Drank it around the age of 19 and 20 fairly religiously. I have a pretty good memory and general cognition although I'm not sure about acute benefits. Where's the harm in it?

• Like 2

Might add that my rationale was countering the side effects of pot. Maybe it worked a little bit?

Anyway

Brahmi tea doesn't taste half bad. Maybe adding some ginger would make it downright appealing.

My mum is in the early stages of alzheimers, and having seen what AD did to my grandmother I'm following this with interest. My mum is fairly well resigned to her fate, but I'm encouraging her to keep an open mind to therapies.

Tea thunder....hmmmm...I just munch the tips of plants when I go past them.

Been doing it for a while, probably mung a little each day. The bitterness doesn't bother me now, probably means I need something from it.

Edited by waterboy 2.0

That's a bit hard wb when you buy a huge bag of dried vegetable matter from nimbin

Then you finish smoking it and think to yourself "hey what's this other huge bag of dried vegetable matter from nimbin?"

• Like 2

Bearing in mind that working memory by definition is talking about holding information in your memory for less than 19 seconds (commonly used example being reading a telephone number, walking to a phone and keeping the number in mind long enough to dial), don't you think that learning appropriate cognitive strategies such as chunking etc would be more beneficial in the long run than relying on the efficacy of alkaloids?

Fair enough using pharmaceuticals for Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, Schizophrenia etc, but they are very very extreme examples of working memory dysfunction. As a chronic pot smoker for 25+ years, bipolar and other issues, I wouldn't dream of relying on plants to get me through my Uni studies (in a content heavy major - Neuroscience) when there are proven cognitive/behavioural strategies to help short term information processing.

Anyway, didn't bother reading the article so this is just my (slightly educated) opinion.

• Like 1

Alchemica didn't specify his ends

What you say could indeed be best for uni work, but I reckon certain cognitive goals (like following meandering thoughts longer, possibly even to resolution) are only aided by boosting your brain specs. Intentional techniques would only interfere in this case.

• Like 1

Fair enough TI but....

The last line of the OP states clinical trials on working memory. You need to understand the difference between working memory and longer term memory acquisition. They are two different concepts and to be understood in scholarly writing you have to understand that. Working memory is sub 19 seconds and involves executive function in the prefrontal cortex. Following meandering thoughts longer is entirely different and involves hippocampal function among other things, working memory does not. They are two different cognitive functions (although obviously closely related), but long term memory involves a deeper level of processing after information has been processed by the executive functions and different, deeper structures of the limbic system. The cortex and limbic system are also structurally very different with different functional classes of neurons too.

And if you dont mind me asking, what on earth does "boosting your brain specs" mean??? Brain specs???? What the hell is that??? And to say that something can "only be aided by...." makes no sense if you have even a basic understanding of the nervous system. It just doesn't work like that. In neuroscience and psychology, nothing is that black and white, and no one would ever say "it can only be done by...". And I honestly don't even know what "intentional techniques" means.

• Like 1

Chunking like you mentioned would be intentional techniques since its a consciously directed effort (much better way for me to say what I meant).

Boosting brain specs... Well of course it isn't as simple as that. I may not be a neuroscientist who can explain why, hence my terminology, but I do understand "suddenly this week my mind is unearthing memories, finding the words its after (when it wants them not an hour later) and going about various tasks at an unusual rate". (i am not discussing effects of brahmi)

Now okay you got me, I implied certainty in my language where there is none.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply mate.

I think I got a better idea now where ya coming from. And I certainly aint no scientist of any description, just a student, thats all.

Anyways take what I say with a grain of salt, because like I said, I didn't even read the article. Just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like.

• Like 1

I've "played around" with this stuff a few years ago now. At the time i had access to bunches of the stuff. I'd break a few sprigs off and munch on them in the morning and afternoon. My opinion is it works but i don't know how much of the effect was the good old placebo effect "eat this it'll make you smarter" then i start analyzing my thoughts more closely and lo and behold i notice an increase in mathematical ability, complex problem solving, organization of thought e.t.c.

The thing that got me into it ( besides a free supply ) i remember reading about an ayurvedic practice where the subject is given larger and larger doses over the course of a few months culminating in ( a bit foggy on this ) ingesting dozens of grams per day and the subject gains the ability to remember entire years of their lives in minute detail like a "life flashing before your eyes kind of deal... Sounded like a cool experience to try and recreate but never really got that much into it and moved on. Sigh.

These days i've noticed it for sale in nurseries more and more in the pond/aquatic plant section. It is a very fast grower and strikes from cuttings as easily as wandering dew.

• Like 1

By far the best thing I have taken for memory is lecithin. Its a precursor to acetylcholine and the first couple of weeks it was giving me such a buzz I couldn't take any at dinner time. My recall and cognitive abilities came back quickly and I didn't have to struggle to remember words. I'm not sure why things were taking a turn for the worse but lecithin got me back to feeling sharp again.

• Like 1

I agree with Fenris RE the choline sources, I find them highly useful for memory function and recall. I too experience a buzz from choline or its precursors and find it just as useful as moda and its successors on a day where mild mental exertion is required.

Insotil is another I recommend, I actually take it pre-pressed in my choline tabs now. I remember readying somewhere a large percentage of the population is deficient in choline so it might be worth taking a supp if you don't get it from your diet.

I enjoy following your threads dude and am keen to hear what you have to say re choline

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input :)

I have to say I didn't get much from plain choline supplementation in the past but I'm rather atypical and have had a problem where I crave novelty so I often don't stick with just one thing for long enough to get definitive results. I did get intrigued by CDP-choline [1.2] but will hold off experimenting with that for the moment...