The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
inwould

The Ledge

The beast comes again. It’s howl pierces even the most deafening silence. It will taste blood tonight. Its footsteps follow the well worn path, as do mine. Seemingly not bound but never straying far. The others sleep. Do they know what lurks beyond their walls?

The path is difficult to make out in the dim street lights, yet my feet follow the memory of a thousand journeys before. The surreal glow of the lamps, the false bid for freedom. In the light of day it could almost be beautiful.

In the distance, a different light floods out windows and doors. The sterile white of neon spills from the building onto the world around it, a beacon in the night. As it draws near, the beast seems pleased. It knows, as do I, that either way it will win. It always wins.

The building promises shelter. A false promise, but a promise nonetheless. A leap from the steps to the railing, another from the railing to the roof. The beast watches from the ground. It has no need to climb. It grabs my arm in its teeth. It costumes all. Will I push off from this ledge or will I be torn from it?

• Like 2

Keep your feet on the ground.

That was good.