The Corroboree

Ethnobotanicals for the treatment of Psoriasis

This thread is to document mine and others observations on plants and there effect on psoriasis. Please add any relevant info or queries. I am referring to plaque psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.

Psoriasis is an auto-immune disease that presents itself as inflamed, red, flaky patches of skin where skin cell production has increased to replace every 3 - 5 days rather than the regular 28 - 30 days.

Joints can become inflamed with what is called psoriatic arthritis. Nails can also be affected by psoriasis.

Many factors seem to influence psoriasis including genetics, diet, stress, allergies & environment.

Due to the nature of psoriasis and other autoimmune conditions there doesn't seem to be a panacea, some things work for some people and don't work for others.

Your methods may vary.

Botanical name - Common name
Uses
Parts used

Description

Aloe vera
Anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal
Gel

Topically reduces itching, redness and scale.

Calendula officinalis - Calendula
Antiviral, anti-inflammatory
Flower petals

Made into a balm or oil and used externally this soothes skin inflammation

Cocos nucifera - Coconut
Antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral
Oil

Use only virgin cold pressed (no chems), organic oil. Others have burnt me and tasted of solvent..
This is one of the best topicals I have found at reducing redness, scale and size of spots and moisturizing. Eating it regularly seems to improve skin health.

Curcuma longa - Tumeric
Anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antibacterial
Root

Helps with inflammation, increasing overall mobility.
Contains curcumin, which apparently inhibits skin growth factors leading to psoriasis scales.

Malus domestica - Apple
Antibacterial, antifungal
Apple Cider Vinegar

Externally good for scalp psoriasis, don't use if you have broken skin as it will burn.

Phormium sp. - Flax
Anasthetic, antiseptic, antifungal, anti-inflammatory
Gel from leaves

Reduces itch, redness and scale.
History of use by Maori internally and externally.

Piper excelsum - Kawa Kawa
Antibacterial & anti-inflammatory
Leaves

Adds a soothing quality to balms, helps with the burning and scale.
Many accounts of use amongst Maori internally and externally.

Withania somnifera - Ashwagandha
Anti-inflammatory
Leaves & Root

Alleiviates pain in joints, itchiness and fatigue. General mobility seems improved
The immune boosting and steroidal properties of this plant may be of concern when used for psoriasis.

Zingiber officinale - Ginger
Antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory
Root

Topically reduces joint inflammation.
Internally reduces joint & skin inflammation, increasing overall mobility and energy.

Edited by solomon
  • Like 5

It looks like you've put some time into this post Solomon.

I'm sure someone will get some benefit from it as time rolls on.

I noticed you mentioned cider vinegar, but you suggest it mainly for the scalp. I've treated several cases of psoriasis over the whole body with apple cider vinegar with good success..

If you put about a cup or 2 into a warm bath and soak in it for 20 - 30 minutes it works wonders. It won't burn or cause any itching, it actually soothes the itch. It will make your skin feel "oily" and the bath will become very slippery - so take care getting in and out.

Don't use any soap or shampoo etc and let the oil soak in for a few minutes after you get out of the bath before toweling off. If you do this a few consecutive times when the weather starts to change and the condition starts to set in and starts to flare up, many people can have almost full remission from this condition with apple cider baths.

• Like 2

I have had psoriasis for 30 yea years and am better now than at any time in the past. I believe after extensive trial and error that psoriasis is highly correlated with digestive health. I have had positive results from colostrum and excellent result from psyllium husks. Since getting on the UltraClean 85 liquid fish oil a lot of skin complaints have been healing up and taking mastic gum was of surprising benefit. I have a hunch that the mastic changes the gut flora for the better and psyllium helps to eliminate waste better. I also think there is something to do with not processing fats very well. Apparently a statistically significant number of people with psoriasis end up with non alcoholic fatty liver. I have been taking lecithin as well for its cognitive enhancements but it is an emulsifier and helps to protect the liver. Anyway psyllium,liquid fish oil and mastic gum have cleared up my psoriasis and dermatitis by about 95%.

• Like 2

Hi sorry if this is out of place but something is drawing me to horse chestnuts

Aesculus hippocastanum

I read in the grow your own drugs book by James wong , kew's ethnobotanist dude on tv shows..

that blending a bunch of conkers in vodka , and applying it to old folks varicose veins was the trick to sorting them ..

or after making an ointment with the stuff..

i only found one old lady who would dare to allow me to try this and it worked .. also sorted her dry skin and she loved me for it

and started wearing skirts again (was 95 yr old)

i hope this is of use to your plight :)

-horsey

edit- p.s. i recognise that avatar from when i used to be a lurker years ago ..

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1

Wrightia tinctoria, Azadirachta indica, Psoralea corylifolia & Coleus forskohlii might be of interest

An autoimmune dietary protocol is probably essential (eliminating dairy, eggs, grains, nightshades, with the possibility of re-introducing them)

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your input everyone, a few things to explore it seems.

Please keep adding anything you feel is relevant :)

Coin, I was hoping you would chip in. Have appreciated reading your posts in the past.

busy with work and plants but will add more when I have time..