The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bigred

Any sailors is S.A.B

Was thinking about buying a yacht and sailing round the coast of Australia and maybe above the equator .Be good to maybe even find a crew member who would love the experience.I used to sail a hobie cat and go out on yachts when i was younger but this will be my next adventure

• Like 3

Does this mean you're a "Future Sailor", Bigred???

Sorry man, couldn't resist :P

• Like 2

I sailed the Med on a yacht delivery, from Gibraltar to Cyprus. Three days out of Gib we came across an abandoned Beneteaux Oceanus 43 footer in a storm. There was only 2 of us so we got a yacht each, me on the salvage. We went to the nearest port in Algeria and were put under port arrest as they thought we had stolen the yacht and killed the crew, we had a couple of very friendly armed guards for about a week before the whole mess got sorted out. With one yacht each we sailed 25 hours to Majorca and left the salvage with an insurance assessor before continuing on our way to Larnaca in Cyprus.

That is the very short version with lots left out and hardly does the story justice. It was hard work and an awesome adventure. I got a cut of the salvage worth around $8k which got me some more traveling. I spent a month on the boat all up. Just one of my "adventures of a lifetime" :-)

I started out racing mirror dinghies when I was in high school.

If I didn't have a young family to support I'd be up for more salty adventures for sure, its pretty awesome stuff.

• Like 10

I'm old red

Edited by Bigred

In life you have to fulfill your dreams or whats the point in life .I have been looking at a 33 foot and would even be great to live aboard in the bisbane river .Good to here you had a adventure feris what ever happened to the crew .Would of been cool if you could have kept it under marine salvage laws (but i don't know didly squat about that ).

The yacht was a charter and the guys who hired it panicked and thought it was going to sink, there was some water getting in through the front hatch (it was pretty rough), they got air lifted by a British naval vessel about 36 hours prior to us finding it. The insurance company was involved, basically it was now theirs and they paid us to bring it back from Algeria. I'm not sure it is possible to wholly claim salvage when the insurance company wants it back.

• Like 1

Sounds great Bigred. I have a friend from school who was big into sailing, I did a regatta with him in high school on a Hobie 16, it was awesome. Best of luck to you.

• Like 1

I just have to go do it its something I want to make happen so i visualize my dream and follow it and complete it .

Then find another dream and do that to

• Like 4

i been thinking a lot about some kinda live aboard lately, might be my next building project

• Like 1

Cambodia was cheap so was vietnam you can rent a nice unit for 140 a month with 2 ooms kitchen air con

would spend 10 a day smokes food a few 50 cent beers 5 for my motor bike hire .life was pretty cheap.

I think going sailing for 6 months will be cheap apart from buying the yacht and getting it ready

• Like 1

House sitting might be something you could look at Hillbilly.

I ve done it in Costa Rica and a few times in Panama and they ve been amazing experiences.

I used this site for most of them and word of mouth for others

http://www.mindmyhouse.com/homepage

When I was looking there were plenty of rural and semi rural places to stay and even work for a bit of pocket money.

Great way to experience living somewhere.

Sorry for going off topic Bigred

• Like 1

Oh no i have a house, i was more meaning a live aboard boat. i like building things and it would be cool to go pirate for a few years i think.

• Like 2

Oh no i have a house, i was more meaning a live aboard boat. i like building things and it would be cool to go pirate for a few years i think.

oh no i see what's happeden here El presidente, the kind folk seem to have misread your spelling and subsequent phonetic over linguistic representation of the word abaord.

living abroad aboard a boat is easily mnistaken when you've got the spelling nazi anal fucking bifocals on.

You have made many interpret your post as :

'"i for for much wanting to live over the seas as a scurvy pirate , raping flowers and pillaging villages"

as opposed to

"I'd love to spend time sailing the seas on a boat as a juxtaposition to being land locked like some mere cat scurring around the sand dunes.

p.s i still feel slightly peeved that i haven't been able to wrangle enough time to come and see you and go for a happy happy joy joy ride in that aloo mini um sea faring vessel yoy so lovingly built.

stupid pats and those stoopid posty grammer nazi van's that they drove in on!

p.s i mean stoopid pats, not the wonderfully written posts in this thread that have me and others, truly jelly at the prospect of packing it for a while and travel over the seas.

love ya hilly

• Like 5

5_4.jpg

• Like 1

0_4.jpg

• Like 1

11_4.jpg

12_4.jpg

This might be the one im looking for she a two masts a nice livable area .Will handle the ocean needs a bit of love

but i am digging it

Awe man now I have the hankering for that round the world on a yacht thing again. Unfortunately as well as being a bit of a yachtie I get terribly seasick. I think center console is a must, and for some good ocean sailing I personally would prefer 36ft and up, I reckon 40ft is a sweet spot. I must say the 2 masters, sloops & ketches are things of beauty. Interesting thing is that being on the ocean on a yacht for a while can do funny things to you, I could have sworn I was hearing quiet conversations in the rigging for a few nights on the Med, I put it down to the spirits of past sailors, it was a little eirie at 3am.

• Like 3

Looks awesome Bigred!

I've heard quiet conversations like that out in the bush on old convict land and it's not the first time I've heard of it happening either.

I've always dreamt of doing some sailing, I must say the thought of running into pirates out in such a big expanse has put me off pursuing that further though!

Edited by courage

I must say the thought of running into pirates out in such a big expanse has put me off pursuing that further though!

that kinda makes me want to do it more LOL

• Like 3

Hoist the black HB

I remember listening to a pirate metal group called something. Their memorable anthem was "under jolly roger".

I think if you raise a pirate flag other vessels can legally put some .50 calibre "drain holes" in you water line so take care with nautical shennanigans.

edit: pirate metal group = running wild

Edited by ThunderIdeal