The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
courage

Help with caapi

I've got a photo of a young caapi I'm having some difficulty getting started with

I'm not entirely sure what's wrong but I was thinking this heat might be a bit much for it

post-17209-0-13681400-1456965481_thumb.j

post-17209-0-13681400-1456965481_thumb.jpeg

post-17209-0-13681400-1456965481_thumb.jpeg

Edited by courage

My caapi seedlings had browning leaves when kept them in to much moisture, the water was pooling at the bottom of the fishtank they were in and it seems like they dont like wet feet. Also, they dont seem to like hot roots, I noticed an imprivement immediately after i took them off the bottom heater i used for germination. Ive never given my seedlings direct sunlight and they are happy, they are in full shade with mirrors for reflected light. Three different strains and all green leaves now with new growth. Give them warm bright shade, protection from wind (open top fish tank works), and keep the soil moist but not sodden.

• Like 1

Is it in full sun or part shade? If it's dappled shade, planted in the ground, and you're in Sydney, then I wouldn't worry, it should be fine. Might just be the stress of transplanting it. If it's in full sun then move a pot plant or something next to it to shade it a bit. It should perk up over the next 8 weeks then growth will all but stop for the winter and you'll be worried that it's dying. But it should be fine in Sydney's climate. Next spring it will go nuts and will be a monster after a couple of years.

Other than the browning it doesn't look too bad, the leaves are still nice and hydrated and aren't droopy. When you need to be really worried - if the leaves are droopy and it's not through lack of water, then it's doomed.

Treat them like a weed....

what are all those other exposed roots around it from, and how long has it been planted in that spot?

Thanks for the replies everyone. First thing I'll do is give it more shade as it has been getting direct sunlight.

There is a tree in the garden close to where it is planted. I assume the roots are from this, and when I planted it there were some rather thick roots I needed to avoid.

I think it will be much happier in a big pot, I just have to get out to the store. Will it be ok if I transplant it again?

I wouldn't put it in a pot. Unless you have no other choice (i.e. renting), plants should be planted into the earth. It will be much happier.

• Like 1

Caapi can take full sun, just shade cloth it a bit until established and slowly remove shade cloth, like next spring

• Like 1

thanks guys, just needed some shade time. is rewarding to see it bouncing back!

post-17209-0-92070900-1458535230_thumb.j

post-17209-0-92070900-1458535230_thumb.jpeg

post-17209-0-92070900-1458535230_thumb.jpeg

Edited by courage
  • Like 2