The Corroboree
IndianDreaming

Laminar Flow Hood on G-tree

Hi All,

I was perusing G-tree and found this ad for a flow hood - figured someone in Brisbane might be interested, I have spoken to Kate and since this item needs to go ASAP she is willing to drop the price to $400. Seems like a good price for what it is. She also has larger ones for sale.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/heathwood/miscellaneous-goods/single-laminar-flow-cabinet-for-sale/1102890511

• Like 5

Check the age and condition of the filter if you can. They are extremely expensive to change.

• Like 1

I believe the unit has now sold but there are a few larger ones left.

Mimzy you are correct - the filter alone would be nearly $400 - When I spoke to Kate she assured me that although the machine hadn't been used for quite some time, it was well taken care of, serviced and stored well

I wish I was in Brisbane too! Even a small square box type flow hood seems to be $400 plus - to get a pro unit like this one, if you have the space, would be a fantastic addition to any mad scientists lair. I have an opportunity to do some tissue culture for a large wholesale nursery, so a more dedicated standalone unit with a bit of space like this one would have been perfect.

Ah well, someone got a good deal i guess => back to the search engine!

• Like 1

The professional units can be found really cheaply on occasion. However as mimzy says there are a few caveats.

Replacement filters are exxy and may need to be factored into the cost. Even in the cleanest work areas the filters degrade over time.

Moving the units can shift the seals etc possibly compromising sterility. Ideally you would have the unit professionally checked once it is in place, it used to cost about $100 but I'm not sure now. Check with the local TAFE or uni to find out who services the units in your area and ask the company to add you to the visitng list next time they're in your area ( save on travel fees ).

In a pinch just leave open petries containing MEA or LBA along the full back length of the filter- for 30 sec and 1 min. Label, seal and incubate for 10 days to get an idea as to how well the final filter works.

The professional units are heavy, and large. Factor this in when moving them- you may need to remove a door and have people handy to help, if the units don't come with a stand make sure you have something suitably weight bearing to get them to work height. Also consider the floor strength for their resting place- if you're working in an old house or an old shed with a flimsy floor the weight could place a strain- try to place it over some load bearing floor joists

Clean the pre-filters regularly- they are the front line of defence for your final ( and more expensive ) HEPA filter

• Like 1