The Corroboree
Maxuel Powers III

Question

19 answers to this question

Hey Maxpower,

I've only had one go at germination so far, I'd say success rate is 80%,

My technique was pasteurize cactus soil in a baking tray covered in foil, (160F for 1hr),

Let cool, give it a good drink then surface sprinkle seeds on,

Cover in glad wrap in a sunny spot and mist 1-2 times a week,

Etho'

Love to hear some discussion on soaking seeds prior to sowing.. . Method i use prob keeps the seeds pretty moist anyway, so is it needed? ?

Then suck up seeds

damn son, ya leave yerself wide open with that comment...... :wink:

What I've noticed is when I'm sucking up the seed

a seed sucker eh? :o

• Like 3

its interesting you say that about the soaking, I usually soak mine overnight after picking and removing from pod, just as a method of helping the seed separate from the fruit, ive generally had very good germ rates so I wonder if this is part of the reason why.

Doubt full if your just removing em from fruit. Usually they dry out and then become more fertile the 1st couple months... . It was funny I bought some zelly/misplant seed and planted it all and got no germination at all. I msg'd misplant and bitched a lil but she asured ,me they were fresh seed she made that season a month prior/ Well after 30 days they all started popping up everywhere and I got this suiper packed tray of yearlings now. I mentioned it to Ben at SS and he's the one they told me they took a month or two to kick in and get active and that germ rates would be better after 3-4 months then 1, or may be not better but quicker.

On another front I got a large amount of pretty much sterile seed from a vendor that wanted to clear inventory. I bought htem well aware half could have 0% germ rate and at most I may see 10%. Well the price was so good I bit. So I decided it was time to play with GA3. WOW does that stuff make a difference. I planted a tray of 50 each of the same seed one in pure water, 1 in a low Hydrogen peroxide low ga3 mix, and a 3rd a high GA3 mix. The water 1 has 1 sprout, the low ga3 one has 5 sprouts, the heavy ga3 one has 17 sprouts. I do see the elongation people talk abaout but if that goes away in time it it will be fine.... Anyone have XP with GA3? I'm a total newb.

maxpower, I have found your threads and notes on sowing and germinating cacti seed very useful.

not all are of the "sharing the knowledge" type or maybe some dont know how to do it.

The pipette thing is an awesome idea.

PS: I always thought seeds, from chilli to cacti could not be as viable when super fresh. I dont know why, but it seemed natural.

Maybe because cactus or any plant fruits and seed actually stay lots more time on the plant to ripen, even when splitting in cacti. But when we are gathering seed, we are prone to pick it up earlier than later...

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 1

so you actually advise for a very gradual introduction to sunlight, for how many months? you are suggesting letting them etiolate a bit? the seedlings I mean?

thanks mate its been a long time I have sown anything.

what about temperatures? I have been germinating chilli seeds in temps varying from 25 to 31-32 C, using a heat mat for a month now

Does it sound good?

Edited by sagiXsagi

I think a small measuring plastic pipette would be ideal

I have had the same thing happen in a gymnocalicium fruit once, seeds were sprouting inside the cracked fruit!

Hope you hang around MP3

If everyone left when fools post shit there be no one here

• Like 1

spine people should be more tolerant of a crude joke or a tease here and there.

in any case, I dont understand why erasing these posts Max, who are you punishing?

there were some good tips there.. re:sowing seeds

zelly and I arent the best friends either, but we have to live together in the same forum.

gosh, if you stayed we could fight zelly together

oh what a flame war it would be!!!!

there's nothing like a good drama

anyways, I gained something of the discussion, the pipette use

Peace and dont take this sorry ass life so serious.

• Like 3