The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Maxuel Powers III

Question

17 answers to this question

Cactus of the four winds or whatever, I don't think there is anything amazing about 4 ribbed plants and a seedling could be four ribbed now but change at any time. That seedling is way way over priced and it doesn't even look that healthy lol

Yeah, don´t buy into that 4-winds bullshit! There only are very few plants that stay at 4-ribs permanently. Bridgesii´s and Scops grow and drop ribs all the frigging time and it´s nothing special. This auction shows perfectly how much bullshit the whole 4-winds marketing scheme is. It´s nothing but marketing. It´s not even that rare on Trichocereus scopulicola. Most of them have either 4 or 5 ribs.

That seedling in the auction looks like it could drop dead any fucking second.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

And it looks more like a Cereus seedling than scopulicola... If someone is unscrupulous enough to sell a tiny sickly seedling at this price, why would they be honest about it's parentage?

• Like 4

Absolutely agree, Berengar. It´s highly unlikely that it´s a Trichocereus. Looks more like a 4-winds Cereus. ;)

• Like 2

So I stumbled onto this listing. What am I missing that makes a 4 rib yearlings so special?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trichocereus-Scopulicola-x-Trichocereus-Bridgesii-Jada-4-rib-from-seed-/272106225919?hash=item3f5acb80ff:g:mjcAAOSwoydWmUYT

I get lots in my trays it will just pop out a rib or 2 when ready. Any thoughts? His other prices and auctions are a bit high but nothing like this.

max, you of all people should know the back story why this ebay listing exists..... :wink:

In fact, I'd be willing to bet your post is nothing more than 'stealth' advertising...........hahahaha

Absolutely agree, Berengar. It´s highly unlikely that it´s a Trichocereus. Looks more like a 4-winds Cereus. ;)

I text with the ebay seller all the time, I'm convinced its a Trich hybrid :wink:

I text with the ebay seller all the time, I'm convinced its a Trich hybrid :wink:

Well, maybe. Maybe not. That´s why it´s problematic to sell seedlings the size of a fudge stick. And even if it´s a Trichocereus, that pricing is way out of line. I don´t sell stuff for cheap either, but 100 bucks for a seedling of that size is not realistic.

And sorry if that´s someone you know. This is nothing personal and it´s not intended to be a personal insult against a fellow cactus breeder. It´s just that this whole 4-winds bs gives me the shits. I´ve read that catchphrase at least five or six times this week on Facebook. And most of the time, it´s overpriced plants that just happen to have 4 ribs until they grow another one. Maybe not this time, but charging hundred dollars for a plant of that size isn´t really making it any better. I have absolutely no problem with people who charge a decent price for rare plants and my stuff is absolutely not cheap either. I pay a lot of money for cacti and understand that there are things that just have their price.

Edited by Evil Genius

Perhaps it's meant to be 'ironic', like zelly's $5000 8-ribbed pachanoi cutting, or whatever it was?

I shouldn´t have said that. I really, really hate to criticize someone over pricing. I understand everyone´s gotta live and make money but just look at that seedling.
The frustration about the 4-winds flood on my timeline pretty much spoke out of me but it´s important to me that we can disagree on stuff like this without starting an argument. We´re all friends here and I don´t want people to argue over stuff like this.

So yeah, took my rage drops and now I don´t care what someone charges for his plants and I don´t care if he´s selling 4-winds cucumbers. None of my business. My personal opinion is that "4 winds" blows into the same horn as "True blue" but I´ll be going to bed now.

Edited by Evil Genius

you claim to know the seller and chat with him?

yes, i know the seller and I TEXT with him......somewhat different than chatting, such as face to face

but 100 bucks for a seedling of that size is not realistic.

EG, of course it isnt realistic, neither is $5000 for a 9 rib pc. :wink:

Would most of us on this forum feel sorry for the sucker who pays $100 for a seedling? Of course!

Whoever said ebay had to be fair? Or honest?

Anyone think the seller in these auctions was fair & honest?

post-3765-0-51361100-1453080501_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-17730800-1453080577_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-43077800-1453080600_thumb.jp

btw EG, I can send you some of the 4 rib (hahaha) Scop x bridge Jada seeds the ebay seller mentions in his listing.... here's a pic of my seedlings from the same seed

via cellphone text he's telling me out of 25 seedlings found around the base of the mama scop, 7 have been 4 ribbers, which imho, means absolutely nothing

post-3765-0-50349600-1453081086_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-51361100-1453080501_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-17730800-1453080577_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-43077800-1453080600_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-50349600-1453081086_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-51361100-1453080501_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-17730800-1453080577_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-43077800-1453080600_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-50349600-1453081086_thumb.jpg

just saw topic title. yes I have it... totally. probably extra totally now actually.

I will be a good boy I promise.

'4 winds' a nice name

probably one of the best out of the bunch of stupid names

my 4 winds is the bluest bridgesii in my collection.

came from an isreali nooker

of course it adds ribs.

it rules

also, true blue, the name I mean, I have come to love. Always reminds me of teotz and that good times!

PS: its somewhat hypocritical to pretend we dont have to do anything with trichocereus named clones hype.

• Like 1

post-9044-0-58790400-1454137505_thumb.jp

Who wants to buy my 10 rib Pachanoi CHEAP CHEAP!!!!! $2000

post-9044-0-58790400-1454137505_thumb.jpg

post-9044-0-58790400-1454137505_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That´s not a Tr. pachanoi but a Trichocereus puquiensis. :) Ironically, it´s really rare! The new taxonomy would simply call it a Pachanoi though.

Edited by Evil Genius