The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gtarman

Grasshopper control?

Hey all. Wondering if anyone has any advice on grasshopper control or deterrents - keeping in mind that I'm unable to have animals like chickens or ducks on my rental property (not an option).

They're the only pest besides cabbage moth that I really struggle with - they've been decimating my gooseberry plants :(

They're too numerous to catch and squish individually, they're fucking everywhere in my area, and they just keep coming back. Anyone got a recipe for something I could spray on my gooseberry plants to keep them off, that you know works from experience?

Edited by gtarman

Diatomaceous earth in large volumes. Spread or sprayed. Kills via mechanical action rather than toxicity. Good for your garden too. Kills slaters and millipedes also. And any other exoskeleton insect.

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

Their status as pest comes from their being contrary to human intentions.

• Like 2

I've thought about maybe putting in a bird bath in the middle of the veggie patch, getting the local wild birds to try and do some of my dirty work...not sure if that would work though. That diatomaceous earth stuff may be worth a try hey. I'm also starting to grow my own Pyrethrum daisies so maybe I can make a nice pyrethrum spray....reckon that works on hoppers?

• Like 1

Also I just found a link that looks really useful, lots of info https://www.ghorganics.com/page12.html

Does anyone know if you can buy the Nosema locustae parasite/biological control agent in Australia? EDIT: Also called "Nolo bait"

Edited by gtarman

I like your idea of the bird bath. I have a butcher bird and a few magpies that swoop around when things take flight or I disturb the soil. Maybe with a bird or 2 and you squishing the ones you see, might get in under control. The longer you can leave it with out using anything the more chance nature might sought it out. Maybe try some sacrificial plants. I noticed when visiting you had ample beneficials in your garden, those friends might be keeping bigger problems then grasshoppers under control so I would not risk their well being.

• Like 1