The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
wert

Help re: yellowing cacti.

so I have two ss02 x's and a real melted wax that heve all gone yellow and haven't grown this season or last. they developed roots no probs but no growth?

these are the only three plants that have ever done this to me so I'm wondering.

if I move them up against the fence so they get morning to midday sun will this eleviate the problem and will they continue to grow?

atm they are dead center of my yard and recieve the most amount of light possible.

will these cacti keep growing if I change there exposure or are they in need of binning or grafting?

thanks in advance.

wert.

nah didn't fert on potting up. maybe I'll pull them out there pots and mix some slow release into the newer soil and around the roots.

just think its odd only happening to three plants surrounded by all other green plants?

they all get good doses of water.

sounds like a lack of nutrients. You could repot with slow release, or you could try fertilizing with fish emulsion/seaweed solution. Also good is aged chook pellets with trace elements, mixed into the top of the soil, covered and then regular watering. Id probably go with the last two, myself.

reading between the lines, you got them as cuttings several years ago & now they've rooted & you got them smack dab in the middle of your yard where they cook all day? Were they grown in full sun from the person(s) you got them from? Same climate zone?

I'd go with your suggestion of repotting with time release ferts as well as putting them where they get morning sun.

• Like 2

morning sun is a no go otherwize they have to go out the front. not happening!

other sugestions?

the wax was a cut from less than 5 k's away.

In my garden the ones that get neglected go yellow, ie root bound, no ferts. ... most of my collection gets absolutely cooked from too much sun, but if I feed them and and give the roots enough room they grow well And are nice n healthy looking.

. If you give them a nice soil brew and regular feeds in active months you wwill see positive change surprisingly quickly.. . Good luck :-)

In my experience, it has been caused by 3 main things.

1. Most commonly, too much sun. I'm sure you've already considered this, though.

2. Lack of nutrients- very rare in my case since I use such rich growing mediums and fertilize so frequently... but others who are more conservative with fertilizer seem to run into this condition more frequently. When I've used coir or a mineral based medium, it can happen pretty easily, actually. A time release fertilizer used sparingly is a great remedy, after a quick fix of soluble ferts.

3. Mineral/pH imbalance. Ran into this when I used too much dolomite lime. I believe it locked out sulfur or something, because when I added some gypsum, it quickly correct the problem.

I'm sure there are other causes, but these are just the causes that I have experienced in my own garden.

Edited by Derkshaman
  • Like 1

thanks guys. have ferted with seaweed, added slow release and moved one to the back fence so it does not get arvo sun as a test. will see what the results are and evaluate again in a month or two.

thanks again everyone.

• Like 1