The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
pinegapcontrol

id on this roadside find?

Question

15 answers to this question

I say take a cutting in the dead of night.

take it home.

repost close ups.

don't think it's a trich tho.

could be wrong?

might be an echinopsis. just to confuse.

ahh well someone will know what it is other than really heavy to carry.

Edited by wert

Kinda Lookin t. Grandiflorus

I reckon the "spach" is a red flowered grandiflorus. Has longer centrals than spach.

Other one could be a variety of candicans or maybe schickendantzii. Need to see flowers. Others will probably know from seeing this pic.

Could be Tr. huascha but you´d need to see the flowers as well. Hard to ID because many Trichos can look like that, including Tr. schickendantzii, Tr. strigosa and Tr. vollianus. I think I can rule out vollianus and I am currently leaning towards T. huascha or Tr. strigosa/strigosus, but far from being sure and I´d love to see more details of the flowers.

when I get back there I will take some close ups. I will ask if I can take a cutting.

ok wow. I didn't hesitate to id the other one as a spach, shows how good my id skills are...

thanks for prompt reply guys !

na that thing wont be heavy, ill grab that with welding gloves no worries, I like cacti wounds anyway :) heavy is a 3ft cutting that takes 3 people to lift and stayed in the car for a week because I couldn't figure out how to get it out by myself.

Edited by pinegapcontrol
  • Like 4

the dried flowers more closely resemble cleistocactus types than they do any trich flower

Give it a prune before the council does

im very strict on not taking anything I don't have permission for, its just out the front of an auto shop so I don't think theyre overly concerned about it. I will be asking, not nicking.

• Like 5

Dude, I GIVE you permission :P

Lop that sucker!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

I agree the dried flowers are not typically for Trichocereus. It´s a little bit too thick for Cleistocactus though. Botanically speaking, Cleistocactus isn´t too far away from Echinopsis and you can breed intergeneric hybrids without a problem. I have a feeling that it might be a Soehrensia, which are a group of plants close to Echinopsis. But they are fatter and have smaller flowers. But I´d propose we wait for new flowers before we say more. This is not one of the common cacti and I´d love to see more close-ups and maybe the owners can provide you with some additional pics or info.

Edited by Evil Genius

its not all that far from fields, dawsons is not too far either, so maybe that provides a clue. I will try n get as much info as I can about it.

• Like 1

sorry to be all serious and stuff but this cacti theft business is not a laughing matter. If anybody did it to me I would break out the waddy on them.

• Like 4