The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2XB

banisteriopsis caapi variegated cotyledon ????

Good morning all,

I noticed last night one of the caapi seeds that have popped has a strange pattern showing on the cotyledon, all the others are normal but this one looks variegated, could it be?? Or virus, deficient in some way? ??

Is this common, will it die?

I'd love to hear opinions and advice please from all those with more experience growing caapi from seed than I, regarding best course of action for this particular plant.

Also if there is an existing thread about this pls link me, as I couldn't turn up much with the search function.

post-13277-0-37855000-1451940609_thumb.j

post-13277-0-37855000-1451940609_thumb.jpg

post-13277-0-37855000-1451940609_thumb.jpg

I know there's a virus in some peoples mature cielo vines (including mine), there's a thread somewhere I can't find sorry. Was it from Aussie seed, perhaps the virus can spread thru seed. Do the variegated parts of the leaf seem healthy like a nice variegated cactus would?

• Like 1

Thanks dood, yes that one and another talking about the same thing was all I could find, can't turn much up with web searches either.

This seed came from the states from a tuncunaca plant.

The seedling does seem healthy and growing as well as his mates, however very early days probey about 3-4 weeks since germination.

Edited by doublebenno

Thanks converge how long did it last? Any tips on what you would do to keep it alive ??

DB mine's still going strong af. Since spring and a few solid feedings it's stopped putting out weird leaves. In contrast to the post above however, the variegated leaves are also still there, they've not curled up on mine.

• Like 1

yeh my variegated seedling died at approx 2/3 months old, it had 4 leaves. It was in a communal starter pot and it was lagging behind the others from the beginning.

I think it was my fault, not the variegation. After the seedlings have sprouted its a good idea to take them off the heat mats, i did this a bit late. They are all looking happier now, but a few of my seedlings were browning leaf edges when on the mats. i think their roots dont like the heat and the roots went surprisingly deep in a tall pot.

So yeh my tip is no bottom heat after sprouting.

Edited by Conv3rgence
  • Like 1

hey awesome

mine didnt do it young, but they tendencies are evident now.. in 4 plants , including that in the ground....