The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fenris

Looking for Milo, Millet, Sorghum.

Years ago I could get red Milo or millet or sorghum (not sure if they are all the same stuff) and it was a good grain for growing certain things on when wheat wasn't preferred. I currently can't find anywhere that sells it, City farmers was my first try in the birdseed section but no luck. Does anyone have any idea where I could get some red Milo in Perth?

Hey fenris :)

Just did a google for red milo and I think it's the same as red sourghum (entirely possible I could be wrong)

I get it in my large bird seed mix from Woolworths or Coles....although it is mixed through with the seeds

Have you tried produce stores or health food stores maybe?

My birds hate the shit, they just fling it everywhere :)

Hyphal tells me that it can be found down Bussleton way but I was looking for something a bit more local to Perth. Apparently its not great in bird feed and is used to bulk up,but most birds leave it, its not that nutritious. I might try a stock feed place next time I'm down south for work. I believe its shape and lower nutritional value make it more suitable for certain strains.

Why don't you want to use wheat?

There are two places I can think of where you might have some luck finding these grains. The first is Better Pets and Gardens. I've seen various grains sold in the pet food section. The other place is Loose Produce in Como.

When I started mycology I used rye grain but it wasn't always available and it wasn't cheap. Wheat, on the other hand, is easily found and can be bought cheaply and in bulk. If that's not available then buy a bag of wild bird seed.

Symonds Seed in Osborne Park might be able to help you. They are bulk but they are happy to sell a single 20kg bag to the "occasional punter" as they described me (rye seed, FYI).

Edited by einseins
  • Like 1

Rye seed would do nicely, although I would take red sorghum if it was considerably cheaper, Ill have to give them a call or drop by this week.

Rye seed would do nicely, although I would take red sorghum if it was considerably cheaper, Ill have to give them a call or drop by this week.

Why not wheat?

I found that sclerota forming mushrooms didn't form a nice sclerota on wheat. The sclerota was spongy and full of wheat with no defined margins. Red Milo yielded excellent sclerota that were well formed and dense without being full of grain, they were pebble like and nuggety. Added to that I got 3 flushes out of the red Milo grain where the wheat was not fit for recycling.

• Like 2

I might try rye grain, its easy to get at the brew shop and a quick search indicates "rye berries" which I assume is rye grain apparently works very well in sclerota formers.

Which brew shop do you get your rye grain from and how much does it cost per kg?

I've seen people advertise large bags of grain on Gumtree before which were 20kg or more. I remember seeing numerous sellers of wheat but I can't remember if I searched for other grains on Gumtree. The bags at Better Pets and Gardens were big but didn't contain 20kg, however, their grain was still cheap compared to the food grade stuff I had seen at grocers etc. You just need to make sure the grade isn't so low that it's full of cracked grains which can turn into a soggy mush.

You could also try using oats and barley. You don't have to use them for every jar that you inoculate but it'd be a good experiment and I'm sure the results would be appreciated by the community.

By the way, Better Pets and Gardens sells the Richgro brand of coir which I liked when using the bucket tek. The Richgro brand breaks apart and hydrates easily compared to the Brunnings brand. When I used the Brunnings brand it wasn't breaking apart and hydrating very well which no doubt caused problems with pasteurisation because I had some horrible green mold problems which I didn't have when I used the Richgro brand.

• Like 1

I picked up 5kg of rye grain from Brew Mart Brewing supplies in Bayswater for $25, the proprietor now is well versed in truffles :-). You need to request the larger size as it was only packaged in 1kg bags. His query as to why I needed 5kg led to the sclerota conversation.

The rye looks good too.

Back in my big pharma days I had access to industrial autoclaves, I should have sterilised some 200L barrel full's when I had the chance :wink:

Edited by Fenris

Dude, you should have checked with Symonds. Last time I asked 40kg of rye grain/berries was about $55!

Hi Fenris,

See you pulled the trigger but for yourself or future peeps, check out Kakulas Sister (Fremantle and others) or Kakulas Brothers (Northbridge) as they sell bulk millet/sorghum/rye berries/wheat (I think they sell sorghum/milo) and other goodies where you can pack it in bags yourself and they are cheap.

Otherwise I've had success with http://www.aussievetproducts.com.au/products/breeders-choice-sorghum, there's generally discount codes on OzBargain for these which gives like a $6.95 discount on shipping so brings it to about ~$20 or so for 5kg bag iirc

I can still get Milo... PM me and I'll send you a tin.

• Like 1

Off topic but anybody have success with horticultural hydrated lime?

scrap that Richgro Natural Garden Lime is 80-100% Calcium Carbonate

I'm heading down to Collie next week for a delivery/pickup for work & should be able to swing past the spot where one of the forum members got some red milo recently.

Edited by Fenris