The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
doxneed2c-me

Getting Grafts on Own Roots

How do you get a pereskiopsis graft on it's own roots?

How long can you have a graft grow before it fails on a pereskiopsis?

I have had 2 pereskiopsis with grafts on them just die out of no where the grafted part was fine. Is the only option to graft or can I get it on it's own roots at this point?

I have had 2 pereskiopsis with grafts on them just die out of no where the grafted part was fine. Is the only option to graft or can I get it on it's own roots at this point?

dox- If a cutting of most any size will grow new roots, why do you think a degrafted scion wouldnt?

as per your question, your choices are regraft or let the scions grow their own new roots....pot 'em up in dry soil, keep 'em warm & dry and you'll have new roots, easy as that.

• Like 1

You could try dipping in a rooting gel if you really want but just treating it like zelly mentioned will work for most
There are a few species that are supposedly tricky to root though, like astros, and in that case you could try chopping off all but the top 1cm of stock. Callous it up for a week or too and then try and root that. Have heard it can work out quite well and eventually the stock plant will throw out some roots too.

I'm doin peri grafts now I'm stuck.

sorry I'm drunk!

Somewhere on the Australian cacti forum there is a very knowledgeable member known as hanazono. He has posted about some interesting methods for degrafting for ario and the like from Pereskiopsis. From memory he cuts the stock short, cuts half the outer section from the stock down to the vascular bundle and let's that dry. Then it's planted and I think it roots from the scion eventually?!? I can't remember if it was supposed to thrown more roots from the short Peres stock for a period. There are photos around somewhere. Will see if I can hunt up the pics.

Edited by nut