The Corroboree
spooge

Phone scams

I suspect ANZ has received more complaints regarding this " phishing " scam , as now on-line correspondence from the bank [ statements , etc ] have a warning stating that the bank does not send such SMS messages and that one should report them to the bank and not to respond to them .

Don't know how they do it , but these people must have accessed all of my phone and and banking details except the bank PIN numbers .

Yesterday I read a letter in the Qld Sunday Mail of someone calling for a cashless society as a solution to drug trafficking and other organized crime , as there would be data records of all financial transactions ......

but I doubt it would be feasible or work because of the electronic scammers who seem to a step ahead of the financial institutions .

Most androids come with a few sneaky little features that you are not supposed to know about - Iphones too.

It's typical for the manufacturer to install an app on the phone that has escalated privileges that allow them to remotely access your phone without telling you. These trojan type apps can access everything on your phone - even stuff you don't know about. Hackers and governments have been exploiting these apps for years.

Most of the details they have would be stored in browser history and cookies etc, but a secure application or webpage (like a bank) shouldn't store a password like that, it should send a cryptohash without storing it. That's why they need you to fill in the blanks.

https://bluebox.com/uncovering-android-master-key-that-makes-99-of-devices-vulnerable/

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1

Another message early last week from 'The Australian Tax Department' telling me I'm may get arrested if i don't ring and discuss payment options.

This is the scammers new number - 02 8417 3038

Have been ringing a few times everyday, swearing at them n insulting them n generally having a good time at their expense, costs me 80c a call cuz of the phone plan i have being a long distance number and all but is worth it for the laugh i reckon.

so if you want to let off some steam n scream at someone who deserves it theres the number :)

I've been getting an odd text message lately telling me "you were involved in an accident two years ago blah blah blah" and to text the word "CLAIM" to the number.  Weird thing is that if you ring the number (from an unrelated landline of course) it is disconnected...  how does this scam work?

P.S. Spooge, your avatar is somewhat disturbing...  unless, of course, that's you.

Maybe it's a way to instigate contact without talking. If they had to answer the phone for each call from a human it could get a bit tricky if they are eastern block Europeans or Africans with strong accents & don't speak the lingo very well.

So if you were silly enough to respond by replying to the txt they'd have a phone number from a potential idiot that they could do a reverse directory search on and start putting the pieces together for any manner of scam.

There would most likely be a follow up phase to the phishing type txt they sent first, maybe even with a flowchart of potential actions based on the results and statistical probability. I t would probably be more personalised and more leading, into phase 2.

Fuck, I'm getting some nefarious ideas now. I better stop before I give anyone too many ideas.

If I wasn't so honest I'd be running scams like that and living in a penthouse on the gold coast snorting lines of coke off the bodies of high class hookers every night.

• Like 1