The Corroboree
spooge

Phone scams

Today I received a phone call from a scammer.

Was out in the garden so it went to message, when I came in for a drink of water a bit later I checked the message as I heard the phone ring.

The message was from 'Jason O'conner from the ATO stating that I have a huge debt and before a local policeman comes and arrests me (lol) I had better phone - 02 60642010 and make payment arrangements.

I was instantly sus.........

1, because ima citizen now and have made sure I owe no one nothing (except Telstra hahahahaha)

2, because 'Jason O'conner had a thick Asian accent

3, because in the message my name nor the reason for the debt wasn't stated

Being very familiar with government protocols and best practice I thought - hmmmmmmmmm

Not being one to shy away from confrontation I rung the number and the same individual answered the phone - 'this is the Australian Tax office, how may I help you'

I replied that I had received a message from them (him) which was fairly fucking disgraceful and he is to answer for the message and supply a reason for the debt........

Immediatly I was met with a barrage of insulting expletives, lol

Very funny stuff.

I hung up in his ear and strait away called the ATO on their switchboard number so I actually got a person not a machine, always search for the switchboard numbers of any government office, they tryn keep these numbers as hard to find as they are able but they are locatable with a bit of effort.

I explain the situation to the receptionist and she explains to me that it is a scam.

I ask what is the ATO doing about it and she says that the calls are coming from overseas and if I could inform as many people as I can (lol)

She went on to explain that they are attempting to gather people's personal information etc......

So there you are, watch out for these fukkers.

Though I loathe the ATO I loathe scammers more so I feel as many people should know as possible.

I will ring the number daily from another line and use a hooter I have to deafen the fool on the other end. :)

What fun. :)

• Like 3

Google is your friend when you have calls from missed numbers or you are feeling they are suss. I google most numbers that I miss the call from or who call me multiple times. (I can't really answer my phone at work which is why I miss calls from time to time).

For example, I just googled the number you listed and first result is this page.

http://www.reverseaustralia.com/lookup/0260642010/

• Like 1

Nice link Zed, cheers for that.

I was suss on your double ss's suss, so I googled it. :) n double s it isssssssss.

dunno bout gugle being anyone's friend though. :)

I was suprised by the ATO's response, one presumes they would take 'action' against such things especially if it's well documented.

The hooter campaign starts tomoz.

should have said a terminator is being sent back in time to erase him from the future.

• Like 3

Yep, them, the ones claiming to be the ATO wanting to give money back (if you give them your bank details and a deposit etc), the ones claiming to be from microsoft (who honestly seem to think they actually work for microsoft - even though they don't).

Maybe you should have said -I'm having problems hearing you on this line can you ring me back on the other line and then given them the phone number for the federal police or the ATO.

When I get calls like that I say - hang on I'll just go and get him, sometimes they stay on the phone for hours.

For the telemarketers that like to ring at meal times and other inconvenient times even though I'm on the do not call register, when they make a call if you don't say anything for about four seconds after picking up the phone they just hang up. Anyone else will say something in that time but telemarketers hang up.

I don't know if Aussie telemarketers would hang up as I only ever get Indian ones - I'm almost certain Telstra sold them my details or someone in the call center raided the database. I was with Telstra for 1 day to get the phone connected and then I cancelled it & churned to another provider. When the Telstra bill came they'd fucked up my name on the account and all the Indian telemarketers ask for that name. No-one else ever had those details, so it could have only came from the Telstra database.

Edited by Sally

should have said a terminator is being sent back in time to erase him from the future.

Shy Net is not the people that you want to owe money to. You had better pay them!

I love it when they call me when I bored. It gives me somebody to play with.

• Like 1

I like to ask them if they're wearing sexy underwear. Or even better, if they're wearing any at all...

• Like 4

lmao Glaukus.

fuckin hell there's some funny fuckers around!

lol sorry i only gave vids as a response was off to a rather sucky large meeting i couldnt avoid...

umm yeah , is this fairly recent? in AUS i mean?

here in uk it's been happening to virtually everybody I can think of ..

and escalating for years until just recently coming to a head -whereby they'll pass a law about it soon if not already ,,...

maybe they have shifted their attention to AUS?

or were they there all along and only just got to you mate?

tell them if they don't got chillitos you're not interested and that the next time they deliver "the pizza" can they please not add the extra topping of grease ;~)

Damn scum. ATO would send you a letter about any debt and not bother calling you for many months, so I found out...

Got a private number so they have either jagged it or it has been sold.

Not with telstra as they are shit, with an even shittier cuntpony called phonecube, I don't deal with them as I've escalated things with this poor cuntpony to dispute level and only deal with the telecommunications ombudspeople.

Great people are the ombudspeople, very good service indeed.

ive received 1 telemarketing call since having an unlisted number and I hang up in their mid speil.

Nothing since till this rubbish yesterday.

Why if it's is well documented on the Internet and if the ATO is aware of it to the extent that the first person I rung could state specific info and knew the phone number the call came from, it is still a functioning number is a damning indictment to a the ATO and the federal government.

So it's either a syndicate or an individual that's attempting to rip people off.

My hooter is gone, think I may have ditched it in one of the mulrptiple crap purges I've been having.

Be car horn instead i think.

I just had a beauty. Not on the phone though. A nice Indian man came to my door with his spiel. I am always polite and listen and nod and when they finish I say I'm not interested and say to have a nice day.... Well, this guy said I would have recieved something in the mail from his company about road use/car travel (or something like that), to which I said I probably threw it straight in the bin as junk mail, leave the info in the letterbox and I will have a look at it this time. He produced a form and said he wanted to put a device in (or on my car) ....before he said any more I am like nahhhhh... Sorry not interested!!! . I wish I paid more attention and asked questions and wrote down his company name etc.. But I was in a bit of shock that they would be asking to do something with my car. Lol . Sounds dodgy to me.

WTF ??

Put something on/in your car ?

I hope your ex hasn't hired a shifty private detective.

What's the world coming to.

But I have heard that some companies pay people for advertising space on cars. I wish I was sober when the tampax rep signed me up for a 6 month deal to have that enormous sticker on my car.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 2

Thats a new one for me amazonian.

I've had the one when the bad guys say they are from Microsoft and they can tell that my computer is running slow or along those lines. They used to ring a few times a week.

All i had to do was follow their instructions carefully to fix the issue. The instructions i found out later from The google was actually giving them remote access to my computer.

I use to keep them on the line while i acted like i was having difficulty even turning a computer on. Get through a few steps, swear a bit and say can we start again.

All this while the PC was off and i was pottering around the house doing this and that for as long as it took.

• Like 1

I do love a bit of scambaiting I'll hapliy wast as much of there time and money as I can

• Like 1

I like to waste their time too. Plus if you don't stay on the line when the computer asks you too it will just call you back later anyway.

Computer:"We can save you money. To find out how remain on the line"

*Cue remains on line*

Caller:"Hello we can save you money"

Cue:"Oh yeah! How?"

Caller:"How much is your mortgage?"

Cue:"I don't have a mortgage."

Caller:"How much do you own on your car?"

Cue:"I own my own car."

Caller:"How much do you owe on your credit cards?"

Cue:"I don't have any credit cards."

Caller:"Then I won't be able to save you any money."

Cue:"Yean I didn't think you could."

Caller:"You have won a free vacation!"

Cue:"NO SHIT! Thats great! (Cue hollars in back ground) Hey honey guess what we have won a free vacation!"

Caller:"Yes its for any weekend"

Cue:" Awe bummer; I work on the weekends" *click*

Caller:"I'm from Microsoft, and we have detected a problem with your computer"

Cue:"Damn ya'll must be good, because I run Linux"

Caller:*click*

Edited by Cue
  • Like 2

BEWARE ....

Last week I received a SMS advising that my ANZ is blocked because I need to " verify " some of the account details . Contact reply details were provided to a http address .

My bank is nearby , and I was really pissed that my account should by blocked , I went to the bank branch to complain and sort it .

As is transpired , the account was not blocked and the message did not come from the bank .

I was advised that it is a " phishing " scam that would try to access my account once I had replied to the scammer .

The bank told me to never reply to such SMSs , as they never send them . Must admit it looked legit , and I was fooled by it - just lucky it was easier to visit the bank instead of replying to the SMS .

Be careful folks - so many crooks out there trying to rip us ....

I am intrigued as to how the scammer got my phone number , or knew that I was an ANZ customer ......

Edited by Heretic

Probably didn't, do it to 50k numbers some are gonna be right, had it been a different back you wouldn't have been fooled. Trouble is for lots of people a reply to the sms would be much more convieniet.

• Like 1

If you are doing online banking with your phone, someone could have set up a fake cell in your area. They spoof the original cell and trick your phone into making connections through them and not the real cell. A cryptophone can find them. I don't know if they still do it but one sign that it may be happening is that your connection drops back to 2G.

Or you could have installed a rogue app that has more access to the phone than you do.

If you are doing it with your PC it could be any manner phishing scams.

• Like 1

Heretic - read through this link and see if it sounds similar to what happened to you.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/667187-fake-cellphone-towers-used-for-scams-in-china/

If it does you should report it to the police. They've tried to crack down on it in China, maybe they've found a soft target here in OZ

• Like 1