The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sagiXsagi

seed grown Trichocereus ID

Question

P1140256.jpg P1140257.jpg P1140258.jpg

this was grown from seed with label "validus?" from usa.. I think it resembles more a cuzcoensis, but then...

The seedling did the 3 branches from early on, seemingly on its own...

Should be some 2.5~3 years old...

next year will be more telling

Any ideas?

Edited by sagiXsagi

13 answers to this question

Looks nice, probably a hybrid. Is this maybe from zelly's seed?

no it was some other nooker .. no idea where the seed was from, and the dude wasnt sure either..

Those spines don't look like they go anywhere near as white, (or as fast), as other cuzco forms.

And I think the reason Berengar mentioned Zelly's seed is people have thought that Zelly's Validus looks like a fat cuzco ally rather than looking like the well know Australian Validus clones.

• Like 1

even if I got in touch with the dude I doubt he could say more. I think there was some BK code (location code?) and some numbers too.

Hmmm if we accept that validus is a variety around terscheckii, this is going far too fast for that.

but yeah the spines haven't fattened up (yet) to show cuzco..

To me it looks similar to some of zelly's validus crosses, perhaps it was also sourced from SS (BK). This definitely doesn't look like terscheckii form, and also as you say it doesn't scream cuzco. My BBB bridgesii X 'validus' looks very similar to this.

• Like 1

would BBB be bouncing bear botanicals?

time will tell I guess

Yes, I am pretty sure it has to come from Misplant. There are very few growers crossing with plants labeled as Validus. I´ve never seen an adult seedling of Sacred Succulents´s Validus but as far as I know, they never offered crosses. And I think some of my friends grew a plant from the Taquimbalensis/Tacaquirensis from their Validus seed. Given the fact that theirs is from Bolivia, this would make sense.

EG you think it might be a tac/taq ?

dont get too jarred from the label it might be a mislabel thus the "?"

I am more inclined to the macro/cuzco side, but we'll see . these might be some other SS hybrids for sure, yeah I think they might be SS seed whatever the case...

in any case this seedling was notable in its own batch of seedlings to create 3 growing point on its own.. and very early on.. thats why I took care of it and still have it close... easily pupping columars are sought after for a variety of reasons... I dont even remember where its brothers are , I have seedlings from that period, but labels were lost due to a mess... stupid me I should have kept a date log..

but as soon as it went growing fast, then I'm like "nah, its not a slow grower, its got some pachanoi/cuzco/macro dominant in it...

Edited by sagiXsagi

No, definitely not a Taquimbalensis. This is somewhere between Cuzcoensis and Matucana Peruvianus. It´s definitely interesting and I wouldnt be surprised if it´s a cross with Misplant´s Validus because that´s pretty much how some of the plants I´ve seen turned out to be.

• Like 2

hey I was looking at some old pics and I found the sowing label

it is " BK 09509_2 ?" does anybody know what this might mean? a 2009 cross?

BK09509.2 Trichocereus sp, Chavin, Ancash, Peru

awesome, thanks, looks like it!

• Like 1