The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
terraferma

Sun or shade for Tricho seedlings outside in the winter?

I have quite a few 1-year old Trichocereus seedlings growing outside. They used to be in the sun and doing fine (I used a shading fabric so they don't get burnt)... but now, with the winter approaching here in Spain, the lower sun doesn't pass the roof of the house and the seedlings in my back yard don't get any sun at all... although they do get natural light as they are not covered by any roof.

I have the possibility to move them to the front of the house where they will get sun all day, and there again I would possibly use the shading fabric.

So before I move all my shelves and pots, I would like your opinion on which is the best place for them to spend the winter outside: in the sun or in the shade? Where I live the climate is mediterranean (winters are mild, it never freezes).

which is the best place for them to spend the winter outside: in the sun or in the shade?

this is a no brainer....put them where you expect them to have their best growing conditions

• Like 2

this is a no brainer....put them where you expect them to have their best growing conditions

I suppose the best growing conditions would be in the sun, but moving the sets of shelves would mean a lot of work for me, and I would like to know if it's necessary at all. After all, cacti are dormant in the winter, so maybe they don't need direct sun in the winter? Anyone has experience on the subject?

Sounds to like ur lazy & lookin for any excuse not to move em Trichs grow year round in full sun in mother nature, in south america, & in my garden & have been doing so for many many years. :)

Cacti may be dormant in your garden, but in mine they grow and flower year round, wintertime included, & it can get down to -1 C here

• Like 2

Haha, you really gotta love Zelly's bluntness. B)

My advice is that you move them somewhere that they are getting some sun. Obviously use your judgment and don't overdue it, but if they are 1 year old they can handle relatively intense sun.

I don't quite know your environment and conditions, so I can only guess. But if it doesn't freeze where you are, the cacti will likely grow year round. Outside is always the best, but if your house currently blocks all the sun, the plants are gonna do better somewhere with more light.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice guys. Looks like I'll be spending the morning moving plants to the sun then! :)

• Like 1

yeah, full sun all the way, if you have mild winters.