The Corroboree
ace1928

Migraine With Visual Aura Over Left Visual Field

Hey guys

I got migraines pretty periodically once I hit the age of 16ish. Would get them probably once every few months. Occasionally a little more frequently.
No idea what the trigger was/is but they vanished after the age of 18 for about 3 years. Now they are back and I've had two of them in the space of about two weeks.
Still no idea as to what the trigger is.

SO My question. Does anyone else suffer from similar migraines?
Does anyone know what their own trigger is?

Not looking for treatment options. Just a brainstorm of other peoples triggers or potential triggers for them.

Cheers,
Ace

Hi ace,

I had similar migraines from the age of maybe 7, and they stopped when I was 12 or 13. I would get them every 6 weeks or so, and they were totally debilitating with strong nausea and full on auditory hallucinations and I couldn't stand light at all.

I am sorry to say that I have no real idea what brought them on, stressful situations, chocolate, oranges and cheese would definitely make them worse.

I feel for you man, I really do. It pisses me off when I hear some one say "I have a bit of a migraine". No, you really don't.

• Like 1

Yeah i get em too. Lol I hear ya glaukus about those people with "a bit of a migraine", like the woman who is "a little bit pregnant".

Personally, until I want to vomit from the pain that those sounds/lights/smells are causing, I keep it in the "bad headache which might be precursor to an actual migraine" category. Because ironically, the only trigger or precursor condition that I've really noticed is headaches. Like just normal tension or dehydration headaches - if I leave them untended for too long, a full-blown migraine with aura can develop. Dunno if the migraine is riffing off the physiochemical "headache" processes somehow or if it's just the stress that sets it off, but other kinds of pain don't often coincide with them, so maybe the former? Or it could just be a repeated coincidence that I'm attaching too much significance to.

Other times they just appear outta the blue, I've never identified any dietary triggers for instance.

When you look at the lists of things that people claim as potential triggers, I gotta wonder if peoples pattern-finding programs are running wild, and their "triggers" are correlations not causes. Or not even correlations, maybe just coincidences - they might be seeing links where there are none - let alone links to things which can actually cause migraines. It's entirely possible that migraines really can be triggered by all those different things I guess, I just question the subjective pattern-finding going on there.

Edited by Anodyne
  • Like 2

Sounds like we're all in the same boat.
I find it interesting that there are higher incidence rates of migraines among those that suffer from ADHD, depression, anxiety etc. and that their underlying cause is unknown.

Do you guys happen to lose the ability to speak coherently as it progresses?
In the sense that you can think words but when you go to speak you are "speaking in tongues" ie rambling noises
I also find spelling to get very difficult.
But no auditory hallucinations like you mention anodyne. The variation in migraines is very interesting too.

Oh, I wasn't speaking of sensory hallucinations, just the pain associated with real input - lights too bright, sounds too loud, smells too ..er.. smelly - that kind of thing. I assume the mechanism is something like synesthesia, except instead of interpreting sounds as colours, I interpret them as PAIN. Or sometimes not painful as such, but debilitating just because the "volume" on the inputs is set too high, my brain can't deal with that much info. If not for the crippling pain, it'd feel a lot like tripping, where those "reality filters" get shut down.

Yes, I also get auditory hallucinations sometimes, but I associate them more with anxiety attacks than migraines.

I don't think I've had the speaking in tongues thing you mentioned, but then again I don't often attempt communication when in the megrims.

oh i get what you mean about the overload thing. i really only get that with light
i get full blown colours and wavy gemoetric patterns starting to come across my field of view
and then lose ability to speak. its weird when that happens because i can think but my tongue wont cooperate to make the sounds properly.
I imagine its kind of like a mini stroke. Even do sometimes get tingling and numbness down the left side too. Some people think that brain vasculature might be involved in migraines. Changing the flow of blood to and from nerves and potentially altering blood pressure etc. Apparently the aura results from compression of the optical nerve or something like that too.

Whatever is going on its damn unpleasant.

hmmm. I'll have a go.

Wisdom teeth? other oral issue?

hi there I get clusterheadaches, hemiplegic migraine and migraine with aura ...

umm, here's a few snippets from the headache diary my neurologist had me write up for one of their sessions at hospital last year with some results, triggers and non triggers I found personally if it's of any benefit to ya mate..

post-14443-0-75235900-1445550588_thumb.jpost-14443-0-73226100-1445550603_thumb.jpost-14443-0-06135400-1445550632_thumb.j

also,

are you having to be staying up for days on end without being able to get any time to sleep? ,

if so, it may lead to hemiplegic if you're not careful..

- just a warning for just in case ^^

very much feel ya buddy , umm keep hydrated too..

oddly enough some dumb assed motherfuckers make it to become doctors and my headaches and following rage at the twats for not listening or doing anything to help ended up with my getting sentenced to a decade misdiagnosed as bipolar ..

so as always: approach drs with caution if you have to ;) as with all babylon.

[if you haven't already ensured to have a good one that cares about folk on our side of the desk]

...tried "mycological remediation" at all for it ? , no need for answer but "studying" them got me through my er "difficult homework"

2015-10-22 22.33.40.jpg

2015-10-22 22.34.05.jpg

2015-10-22 22.34.49.jpg

2015-10-22 22.33.40.jpg

2015-10-22 22.34.05.jpg

2015-10-22 22.34.49.jpg

• Like 1