The Corroboree
rahli

Alicia anisopetala working thread and seed giveaway

I'm fairly keen on having a try at growing this , would love to grab some seed if there is any still available 

4 different soil brews, watered in with a very dilute organic liquid fertiliser.

Thanks again rahli, super excited.will keep the thread updated :-)

tmp_6927-IMG_20161013_2126121392316324.jpg

tmp_6927-IMG_20161013_2126121392316324.thumb.jpg.3b23a1b828b170cc614a374c0d7ff4fc.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, fozzking said:

I'm fairly keen on having a try at growing this , would love to grab some seed if there is any still available 

@fozzking I can send you some, pm me to work it out :-)

• Like 1

4 different soil brews, watered in with a very dilute organic liquid fertiliser.

Thanks again rahli, super excited.will keep the thread updated :-)

tmp_6927-IMG_20161013_2126121392316324.jpg

13/10/2016 ^^^^

almost 2 months since sowing and I have one sprout :-) - hoping this is the first of many to germinate :-)

for a few weeks I had these guys on the floor getting ambient room light and moved to them to get filtered t9 for a month or so(light shade cloth on top of container) light on a 12/12 cycle, closed container & venting and misting every so often, like once a weekish..... quite warm when the lights are on... i originally misted a couple times with dilute peroxide (~1.5%), and have had no moulds or anything which I am happy with being that it is a closed hot humid container for ~2 mnths :-)

Any others who've received this last lot have any luck yet??

tmp_6927-IMG_20161013_2126121392316324.thumb.jpg.3b23a1b828b170cc614a374c0d7ff4fc.jpg

• Like 3

Hey I am preparing to sow mine, what are your thoughts on cutting the wings off the seeds, do you cut yours or the wing would help by retaining the moisture? 

I am going to use the setup I used last year for germinating my caapi and chilli seeds, relatively shallow sowing tray and heating mat beneath... 

• Like 1

Glad your seeds made it.

It would be interesting to trial a few different planting methods and see what comes up.

• Like 1

I suggest you try some in deep pots, they seem to throw a deep root and stand up a bit before sprouting from the too, I feel mine are too shallow, I think I will transplant a few to their own tall containers.

I've got quite a few popping now-

Look like a frill neck lizard!

tmp_4505-IMG_20161217_120357304102747.jpg

tmp_4505-IMG_20161217_120357304102747.thumb.jpg.b55d4fc6724aa6284e5fa912476ae73b.jpg

tmp_4505-IMG_20161217_120357304102747.thumb.jpg.b55d4fc6724aa6284e5fa912476ae73b.jpg

• Like 1

I can't seem to find any info here on taking cuttings of this species

Am I missing something?

Tried a few greenwood cuttings, to no avail

Any teks from people experienced with this?

I have had success with T section cuttings in the tropics, when making the original clones available.  You could have more success layer propagating a T section, then removing from the vine once the roots have established.

• Like 2

Nice work rahli, thank you!

I have never done a T section cutting and will have to google it just to make sure we're talking about the same thing

This place continues to surprise and educate me even after all these years :)

• Like 1

A T section cutting is made by cutting a 4cm section of stem, around 2cm either side of a young shoot. The section could be layered using moist coir and course sand and wrapped with a stocking to allow easy watering. I'm not sure how long you would leave the layer cutting before checking if roots have formed. Once the roots have formed the cutting can be removed.

I rarely give gardening advice as in my climate tropicals are easy to grow, so i feel my experience is not really relvant to southern conditions, where tropical plants need a bit more focus and local expertise.

Good luck with your Alicia cuttings Darklight.

• Like 2

A T section cutting is made by cutting a 4cm section of stem, around 2cm either side of a young shoot. The section could be layered using moist coir and course sand and wrapped with a stocking to allow easy watering. I'm not sure how long you would leave the layer cutting before checking if roots have formed. Once the roots have formed the cutting can be removed.

Thank you! I had done a bit of googling and there were a number of teks suggested for the term so I got confused.

Yours is a beautiful, clear answer and I'll be able to follow all that easily

I don't want a million cuttings, just a couple of backups. Seymour is doing splendidly growing in the bathroom but I do like multiple copies just in case something happens to the original

• Like 1

@Darklight

I can send you a few seeds when I next have a bunch. I'll message you when they are ready.

Edited by rahli

20/12 , put mine down, I cut the wings in half of them, so I guess i sowed them in two different ways. heated tray and all. In the same tray I also planted 3xPicralima seeds, supposedly also takes very long to sprout and some weird Turbina seeds. 

special thanks to rahli, I have a beautiful lopho named after you mate :) 

• Like 2

@Darklight

I can send you a few seeds when I next have a bunch. I'll message you when they are ready.

Oh Rahli thank you, that's a lovely offer, but I can't promise I will do anything with them for a few years as the garden is quite full now and so is my brain.

Sell them off to server costs? Or donate them to a new member? Something something... better ideas welcome

I'd love to have a play with seed eventually, but right now they will sit there and go to waste, which would be a shame

• Like 1

78 days later, no sprouts so far. 

Sagi, mine started germination at around two months, the last of em popped at over 4 months, don't give up yet.

Will update with pics when I get a chance. 

• Like 1

i haven't had any luck yet either.... still watching them though....

• Like 2

Moved them outside two weeks ago as I wasn't having any luck almost gave up on them . Happened to check them out just before as they are covered and I've just been neglecting it , conditions must be better in their  new position , as one has finally sprouted . Would have taken a photo , except my phone is all smashed up and being tenderly held together with duct tape 

wooohoo excitement + 

Hey

Thought I'd share my growing experiences with Alicia anisopetala. Last year I brought little established plant from an online vendor. I had it on my window sill over winter last year and everything was going great, uimageproxy.php?img=&key=ed93ee4b8a158835ntil near the end of winter it dropped it leaves and died. I was a little gutted to be honest because I was really trying hard to protect it from the cold (Melbourne), hence having it inside over winter. 

I could not bring my self to throw it away, so I left it on the window sill for a couple of months. Eventually I did a big clean of my room and the dead plant had to go, but I still did not want to throw it in the bin, so I just put it outside under an orange tree where I normally out my old pots. 

About a month ago I went to move the pots and noticed that there was something sprouting out of that pot. Initially I thought that it was just weed, until I went to put it out and realised that it was connected to the dead A anisopetala plant. On further inspection I realised that it has seemingly revived itself and thrown up a new shoot. That was about a month ago, and the plant looks like its doing really well. 

So, it appears that this plant is capable of throwing suckers up, even after about a year of having no leaves!! Remarkable! On that note, don't discard any 'dead' plants you have, and you might be as lucky as me :)

20170402_125339_2.jpg

20170402_125357_2.jpg

20170402_125339_2.thumb.jpg.5cfffc9aed5030e2e95d1318fc70505d.jpg

20170402_125357_2.thumb.jpg.3bca913e6bc49e1b2d954147364d05c6.jpg

20170402_125339_2.thumb.jpg.5cfffc9aed5030e2e95d1318fc70505d.jpg

20170402_125357_2.thumb.jpg.3bca913e6bc49e1b2d954147364d05c6.jpg

• Like 3