The Corroboree
Yeti101

Where to go?

Getting itchy feet, for the first time in many years.

Due most of my marketable skills being higher education related, and my relative inability to function in the real world, I'm asking:

What uni's do people think/know would be good places to (potentially) work/teach/do research?

(Not just because of the uni itself - I'm interested in the surrounds, environment, number of nearby SAB members and cost of living etc.)

All answers ranging from serious to insane welcome :wink: . Accounts of personal experiences accepted with much gratitude.

They want to build a new uni near the sunshine coast.

Nice place. Cheaper property/rent than in town. Bit of a hippie greenie scene. Bindi Irwin. All that.

Edited by ThunderIdeal
  • Like 2

Dunedin, New Zealand.

• Like 4

FNQ :wink:

• Like 1

Surrounds? Cheap? University of Wollongong... Not so sure about SAB members though

Edited by BeerAlternative
  • Like 2

Yeah it kind of sucks that we can't just go bush, because it would be very difficult to find suitable employment.

New Zealand or Tassie. I'd love to live and work at either. Beautiful landscape, nice and cool, none of this humid 40 degree summer shite.

Wollongong is good, I'm down there for some collaborative work every 6 weeks or so. But the 'Gong is pretty much the same as Newcastle, in almost every way. That may or may not be a good thing? I like it, but maybe you're after a more drastic change of scenery.

• Like 1

There are heaps of universities in Victoria yeti. :) . It would be cool to claim Dr yeti as a Melbournite :wink:

We have some pretty neat plant meets, that alone is reason enough to move to Victoria. Lol. :)

Universities in Victoria ... http://www.australianuniversities.com.au/directory/victorian-universities/

• Like 1

Surrounds? Cheap? University of Wollongong... Not so sure about SAB members though

There's a certain d00d in the neighbourhood!

• Like 1

So, after a few years of vacillation, (and total career stasis), a move in the next year or so seems likely. Can anyone from the far south give the inside word on the good bits of Adelaide and Melbourne? 

• Like 1

Melbourne Botanical Gardens,  etherealdrifter, cooler summers (usually)  :)

that's all i got.

• Like 1

I just wanted to second TI's suggestion of Sunny Coast. Most beautiful place I've ever lived by far, and if you are into natural therapies and organic food it is the SHIZZ. Heaps of lovely European backpackers around, and just a general mellow vibe. Bit of a hipster scene brewing too if that's your thing (I suspect not though).

The surf sux balls though... :unsure:

P.S. I forgot to mention the bountiful fungi as well :wink:

Edited by Responsible Choice
  • Like 2

So, sadly for my friends up north, it looks like the Melbourne thing is happening in the next month or two. On the up side, I might earn enough cash to actually get a bit further around the country when I'm not working. 

• Like 3

So you finally found someone who will pay you what you're worth. About time too. The way the uni kept you hold up here for all that time was just wrong.

It's good to know you'll be moving on to greener pastures. All the best mate I hope it goes well for you.

• Like 3

melbourne is epic, you'll love it! i used to live around ripponlea, balaclava, st kilda , prahran, they are all nice spots, close to the city and the beach, public transport is awesome. you can get anywhere on the train, they run frequently and mostly ontime unlike the complete mess of a transport system in qld , plus its cheap... theres a place on chapel street called lucky coq, lol

they do $4 pizzas!!!  its easy to find housing and jobs aswell... if you cant already tell, i love it! theres heaps of partys and doofs too if your into that :lol: Best of luck with the move an everything man hope it goes smoothly

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Yeti101 said:

So, sadly for my friends up north, it looks like the Melbourne thing is happening in the next month or two. On the up side, I might earn enough cash to actually get a bit further around the country when I'm not working. 

We be proud to have you as a fellow Melbournite.!!! :)

When yous   are settled in, maybe a plant meet might be in order. 

Best ts wishes for an easy transition. 

Edited by Amazonian
^^^ *bestest wishes, not 'best ts' wishes, lol.
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2017 at 11:17 PM, Sallubrious said:

So you finally found someone who will pay you what you're worth. About time too. The way the uni kept you hold up here for all that time was just wrong.

It's good to know you'll be moving on to greener pastures. All the best mate I hope it goes well for you.

I hope it goes well too. I have to confess, it's my partner who has scored the good job - I'm still going to be scrounging money for teaching people to use their heads as more than hatstands. Still, Melbourne seems as good a place as any to be in my line of work.

Thanks @Amazonian, I look forward to getting to a plant meet in the near future. 

Now I just need to figure out how to get my core cacti collection to come with me - had no idea that the quarantine laws were, technically, so onerous between NSW and Vic were so onerous. 

• Like 1

Best wishes for your move mate. 

It was always a pleasure to cross your path on campus. 

• Like 1