The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Trichocereus sp. La Paloma - Similar to Tr. Riomizquensis?

Trichocereus sp. La Paloma = Tr. Riomizquensis?

Have a look at those interesting plants I got. They are a Trichocereus type from Chile and it´s really very similar to Trichocereus Riomizquensis or the PC Pachanoi. It´s probably somewhat related to Trichoereus Chilensis but also seems to have some Pachanoi Genetics in it.

11222092_1180101238673710_109109949860938533_o.jpg

12080221_1180101148673719_8993541579505067977_o.jpg

post-1140-0-66686500-1443625132_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-97596900-1443625133_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-66686500-1443625132_thumb.jpg

post-1140-0-97596900-1443625133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

it´s really very similar to Trichocereus Riomizquensis or the PC Pachanoi

I believe if a person does a search for Trichocereus Riomizquensis they will find an older post by Archaea illustrating very visible differences between riomizquensis & pc pachanoi & I personally have a hard time understanding how anybody can compare some small seedlings / pot grown plants to fully developed & mature species......

Hey Zelly, I know that adult plants can look different but I dont need to wait five years to see the similarities between those plants and the PC Pachanois I had throughout the years. I´ve watched them so long that the image is kinda etched in my mind. And it´s not just me. The first thing some of the guys in the group said when I posted it was "Riomizquensis". I know that this doesnt mean jack but I have reasons to believe it´s definitely a valid option that those are somehow related. Honestly, plenty of people would probably not be able to tell the difference between the Riomizquensis and the PC if grown at the same environment at the same time. The pale green color of the epidermis, the weird angular areoles, the spines, I personally think it would be very possible that they are related. You know, I am not saying that this is a fact because I cannot prove it, but I dont know why we shouldnt discuss the possibilities. Just for the sake of having a discussion about something that we did not discuss before. Personally, I´ve been following every little bit of information about Trichocereus Riomizquensis for at least ten years now and I wouldnt mention it if I hadnt had time to think about it.

And let me just say one thing about the PC. Ritter sold a lot of Riomizquensis seeds throughout the world and there have to be a lot of plants on the market by now. They didnt just vanish. In fact, he sold more of those than of Pachanoi, simply because he wrote the description and wanted to establish "his" plant.

And if you use your imagination and think a lil bit about the possibility of this "La Paloma" type being closely related to Trichocereus Chilensis, it would actually make a lot of sense that it is somewhat different to most of the other Pachanois. Just think about it and let it sink for a while. I am very well aware that this can´t be proven right now but maybe let my quirky spirit light a spark of curiosity in you. :P

idk, i think ben kamm's trips down have produced more then one 'riomizquensis, that is very pc looking at even the oldest growth. i.e.bk10508.1, 10508.5 (which is identical, except the 4 rib possibility), 10512.11, 10512.4, and of course the clones around the martin cardenas bg's in cochamba, which even have the white haired flowers. my own seed grown rio is identiacal to pc, except at the base where it still has its seedling style areoles and spines. but it is only a foot tall (30cm), so i cant say what will become of it...

Yeah it's not the PC Pedro but this just goes to show how much the genes overlap!

idk, i think ben kamm's trips down have produced more then one 'riomizquensis, that is very pc looking at even the oldest growth. i.e.bk10508.1, 10508.5 (which is identical, except the 4 rib possibility), 10512.11, 10512.4, and of course the clones around the martin cardenas bg's in cochamba, which even have the white haired flowers. my own seed grown rio is identiacal to pc, except at the base where it still has its seedling style areoles and spines. but it is only a foot tall (30cm), so i cant say what will become of it...

All of those plants you mentioned look immediately different to PC to me in skin colour, spination and rib shapes. Sure, they have some similarities, but they are short spined trichocereus plants so that's to be expected.

Yeah it's not the PC Pedro but this just goes to show how much the genes overlap!

I'd also say it goes more to show how much phenotypes overlap, rather than genes, as we currently have no idea what genes these share, if any. But I suppose I'm splitting hairs...

• Like 1

i see slight difference in all of them, but bk10508.1, (which ben remarked as strikingly similar) and mcbg are strikingly similar. and i have pc in colors ranging from yellow, olive, deep green, blue and almost white; skin color in these is super variable. i like your comment about genetics tho, at this point we are sharing opinions based on perspectives, and the factual genetics is beyond us (at least me).

edit: (MCBG pic included)

post-15960-0-79102200-1443674734_thumb.j

post-15960-0-79102200-1443674734_thumb.jpg

post-15960-0-79102200-1443674734_thumb.jpg

Edited by highdesertcacti

Hey Guys, I would like to add that I am only referring to the Riomizquensis from Friedrich Ritter and not the plants from the SS field trips. While I agree that at least one of them might be related, there are a whole lot of plants growing at the Rio Mizque and some of them were Bridgesii aligned.

• Like 1