The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Maxuel Powers III

Mineralized Sand from pet stores? Anyone tried it. Mineral addatives.

So I was looking as sands and crushed shell for adding to soil. I hear many cacti like minerals and such. Has anyone tried using this crushed shell or sand thats had minerals added?

http://www.petco.com/product/121742/CaribSea-Arag-Alive-Bahamas-Oolite-Aquarium-Sand.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

Just curious about trying some cause they have it in shell too. Anyone with info or read the info and lemme know if it looks ok. Also does anyone use AZOMITE?

Yes, I wrote about this numerous times and I called it "bird sand" because it´s used as bird litter. Works great as additive or pure for rooting cuttings. It does not work for sowing out seeds though. But be careful because I felt like a lot of them have Anise in them and I felt like it wasnt great for plants.

• Like 1

I don't think any of these have anise. Relook at the specs and read what it is. Its definatelly not bird sand, cause that cheaper. And its not reptile sand cause that boast calcium. I was gonna try one out cause they have so many grains of sand from so many regions, crushed shell, crushed coral, etc..For instance on that once brand heres whats added to the sand.

• Calcium (Ca)-381,000 ppm
  • Carbonate (CO3)-590,000 ppm
  • Strontium (SR)-7,390 ppm
  • Magnesium (MG)-1,050 ppm
  • Molybdenum (MO)-56 ppm
  • Potassium (K)-56 ppm
  • As well as Barium (BA), Manganese (MN), Iron (FE), Sulfur (S) and other essential trace elements.
Edited by maxpower097

Salt may be an issue as the product you linked is "packed in real seawater" according to the product description.

Seems a little expensive to use in the soil mix anyways. Dolomite lime provides the calcium and magnesium... Gypsum or soil sulfur for the sulfur. Much cheaper amendments and are easy to obtain

Sorry if this is off topic - I usually add a sprinkle of trace element " micro mix " nutrients to any potting mixes that I use ... available cheaply at nurseries , etc ,...

Since doing so have not noticed any deficiencies attributable to lack of minerals . Maybe once a year sprinkle a little boost , but with extreme care - a little goes a really long way ; like , a $ 5 pkt will last maybe a lifetime if you're using pots .