The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

Abbott shortest-serving PM since McMahon

Tony Abbott has become the shortest-serving prime minister since William McMahon, after Liberal dissidents flatly rejected his plea to avoid echoing the “revolving door” of leaders that plagued Labor in government.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/abbott-v-turnbull-tony-bows-out-as-revolving-door-swings-shut/story-fn59niix-1227527456484

The Member for Warringah, who entered parliament at a March 1994 by-election, was cut down four days’ shy of his two-year anniversary of being sworn in as prime minister. He is also the first prime minister since Ben Chifley to never reside at the Lodge, which is under renovation, instead staying at the Australian Federal Police college while in Canberra.

Julia Gillard lasted a year and seven days longer than Mr Abbott as PM. Kevin Rudd lasted 290 days longer.

In a pitch before last night’s vote, Mr Abbott said: “I have been heartened by the messages of support flooding into Liberal MPs’ offices this evening saying most emphatically, ‘We are not the Labor Party’.

“The prime ministership of this country is not a prize, or a plaything to be demanded. It should be something which is earned by a vote of the Australian people. This country needs strong and stable government and that means avoiding, at all costs, Labor’s revolving-door prime ministership.” He made the same point in February when he survived a spill motion.

He expressed disappointment at the white-anting of his leadership.

“Obviously, I am dismayed by the destabilisation that’s been taking place now for many, many months and I do say to my fellow Liberals that the destabilisation just has to stop.”

Edited by Halcyon Daze

So long, Asshole :bootyshake:

Edited by Halcyon Daze

this pleases me

• Like 2

1081.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10

• Like 9

Yep - first dog encapsulates it perfectly.... Only problem is that it will give the COAL-ition a bump in the polls and much better prospects for being re-elected,

Although the captain has walked the plank, the whole shifty crew remains,,,

• Like 2

"It should be something which is earned by a vote of the Australian people."

hahah as has been shown this is not even what happens the top job is decided by the party vote. We've had no real say in any of this show, and as per usual the 4th estate for the most part have avoided the real meaty issues. A year out from the next federal election really thought this would of happened sooner given the slumps in polling given that obviously the lnp wish to re work their image, if turnbull can move towards a centrist approach perhaps but personally doubtful an ex goldman sachs millionaire banker doesnt inspire much hope especially with his handy work with the NBN. Looks like smoking joe is out and probably was always set to be the fall guy for poor economic performance/deficit issues, and the religious tough man morrison is in... le sigh.

• Like 1

Good..... that said a smoother operator has taken the helm.

Question everything.

• Like 2

Different glove puppet same fingers up its arse.

• Like 8

We dont elect prime ministers we elect MPs, Australians dont grasp this fact very well. The only problem I have with a change of leadership is that they're ultimately only motivated by election prospects.

Lesser and less embarrassing of two evils...

Much more vitirol I'd spew but I CBF wasting precious energy. I would've loved to have been the one to break the news to him. Did you see Julie Bishop could barely keep the smile off her face? Pyne as usual did the highly intelligent thing and stayed out of spotlight to keep his job (now defense minister I believe?)

Edit: Yeah I was going to say was TI said above too, I don't vote for one person, I vote for a PARTY for their policies, and hope the PARTY elect a leader to represent all their collective policy. I want the best person in the best party to run this country. Abbott didn't do that, he disallowed his own party members from individual electorates to have an individual say; effectively he was a dictator, being fed buzz words and slogans from his PR puppetteers (that Peta woman etc). The man never said ANYTHING off the cuff, hence why he never went on Q&A.

I could've worded that better but oh well.

Edited by FancyPants

I wonder if Malcom will push his progressive line from now into next election, as it would certainly mean shaking things up a lot.

If he did, the distinction between Liberal/Labour would seem even fuzzier.

Perhaps this is the Liberal party strategy, given Malcom simply seems more popular overall...

RpPN8Ta.jpg

bronny - blackhawk down

tonzie - took a while to catch on fire but it was always gunna happenpost-4664-0-30633400-1442301187_thumb.jp

next will be smoking joe and colonel klink

2015 152.jpg

2015 152.jpg

• Like 6

strategic move by the liberalarians. most of the other cohorts ie mister morry stopped the boats and "hey, i wear designer clothes to U.N parties Bishee have just cemented themselves even further. The hard right are gunna flash grenade's Turnbo's hair off his noggin though. Maybe the Labdogs should ditch shorto and plead with Pliberseks to take the reigns.

?anything's better than shorto der.

Malco Vs Tanya....i'd pay to see that witty tongue fight.....

either way i'm glad both Tonzie and Smokin Joe looked hapless as they begged for mercy before the vote last night

Edited by etherealdrifter
  • Like 1

Shorten is going to be the next political casualty I suspect.

At least before people were using Tony as the benchmark for comparison.

Shorten does have the 'if not him, then who the fuck else?' effect going for him though.

Tanya? Albanese?

The honourable Prime Minister of Australia Anthony Albanese...

I hope Turnbull works out.

When I think "mad cunt" I think someone smashing down drinks then shouting everyone in the room cones.

Might need to find a way into some labour party events.

• Like 1