The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Psyentist

My first cacti in the ground

For sure man!

I've got one more rooting and another on the way that I'd like to put in there too.

Put some nice rock down, then sit back and enjoy the show!

• Like 1

i love the plant behind the cactus :wink:

Edited by bullit
  • Like 3

Cool bro, though the plant in the background has very different requirements then the cactus. Maybe its a good idea to raise the ground for the cactus so that the water from the other doesn't need to affect the cactus. That's if they are to remain close together....

• Like 1

Yeah, the cactus were a bit of an afterthought to be honest.

It's the only ground I really have available and I thought they'd like it better than their pots.

The whole garden bed is raised and quite well drained, you can't really see in the pic but the whole thing slopes to the right.

She'll be right, hopefully!

• Like 2

Nice! That plant in the back right there, is that an epiphylum or are my eyes deceiving me? The leaves look like some epiphytes I have.

Edited by hostilis

I can see why you'd say that from the photo mate but that little one up the back right is a baby brug culebra.

Should be quite a magical little garden.

Cool man, nice effort. :)

Plant them all in the ground man, the growth rate is amazing once they are in the open dirt.

dont stress too much bout water collecting around the base of the plant, in pots this is an issue in the ground it doesn't seem to be so.

I've trichs in the ground atm sitting in a few mill of water cuz its so wet here, doesn't bother them at all.

• Like 1

once you put cacti in the ground you wonder how you ever got by without... the ground.

• Like 2

Hah, watertrade. It's not rocket science is it. I don't know why it's taken me so long to piece the puzzle together.

And thanks olive! :)

Yeah, I'm not worried. I've heard a few stories of survival through brief periods of swampy conditions and think people sometimes underestimate how hardy trichos are.

Saying that, I haven't lost one to rot yet so could change my tune pretty quickly, hah.

I see. The leaves have that shape to them, but the structure isn't right for an epiphyte.

I really wish I could plant cacti in the ground where I am!!! Well, I can, but only those that can survive freezing temps and snow for months. I have a few opuntia in the ground and they are doing great.

• Like 1

One of the best parts of planting in the ground, is that you don't have to worry about repotting anymore! Although I still recommend mulching them in some environments. They also get to their full potential girth wise.

I live in Arizona and I love planting them in the ground, as long as there's enough shade during the summer!

• Like 2