The Corroboree
alfamiller

asking farmers if its ok to go for a stroll on there cow paddocks

For years we've been hunting on other folks land for mushrooms, hopefully never had any negative confrontations.. wouldn't it be fantastic to know we were welcome (or kindly tolerated)?. How to meet landowners and get chatting? often the driveway to the house goes for a long way and it can feel uncomfortable driving up to the door uninvited....

anyone got any advice on how to broach this situation?

hahahha u rekon farmers like hippies walking around on there land hahahaah. chn chin boom :excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl:

• Like 9

"often the driveway to the house goes for a long way and it can feel uncomfortable driving up to the door uninvited...."

trust your instincts. Try a nice letter perhaps with your contact details?

you recon a whole 8 shots Bullit?

1/ seems allot to spend on a hippy.

2/ I'm a much better shot than that.

=P

Edited by ghosty

hahahha u rekon farmers like hippies walking around on there land hahahaah. chn chin boom :excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl::excl:

• Like 1

Hmm but they could conceivably be legally liable if they knew what you were doing there and you got fkd up somehow or were injured while on their property. What's in it for them?

I have a little farm, and i have to say people do trespass and even as laid back as i am it doesnt ever make me happy.

if you ask the worst you can get is a no.

• Like 5

Hmm but they could conceivably be legally liable if they knew what you were doing there and you got fkd up somehow or were injured while on their property. What's in it for them?

good friends....hopefully

i have been shot at, chased on bikes, had the cops called even had my plastic bag snatched from my loving hands lol i hate shopping @ woolworths :scratchhead::BANGHEAD2::unsure:

Private Property Trespassers Will Be Prosecute

• Like 1

Respect is key.

Start by telling em you want to collect edibles. Offer them something for the privilege. Judge the convo from there, but due to liability issues as mentioned probably avoid mentioning anything illegal. Even offer to collect some for them too. Some farmers would be happy to eat some field mushrooms, but don't have the time to go picking themselves.

I grew up mushroom picking on the neighbors property with my nanna. We grew crops, so the paddocks got ploughed every year, hence no mushrooms on our place. Neighbor up the way ran cattle on pasture and lots of big mushies popped up after the rain. Neighbor was happy for us to go picking, especially when we picked a bucket for him too.

It was many years before i learned other reasons people might want to pick mushrooms.

I still hate the smell of cooked mushrooms, but my grandad loved em, so i loved picking them for him. Its a great way to spend a day in the sun. (And if you happen across some special mushies in the process then it'd be a bonus and no one need know any different.)

Another way might be to ask if you could collect manure for your garden...

Id say a note in the mailbox would be a better option than driving up to the house. You can get a few dodgy bastards scoping out properties to burgle out on the land, so people can be instantly defensive when stranger appears out of the blue with 'weird' requests... especially if the house is well off the road.

Even better would be to get introduced first.

Either way with permission in the daylight is a much safer way to pick. Less likely to get chased (if your lucky) off with high velocity lead or by a pack of dogs.

• Like 7

The law on trespass varies from state to state. I imagine it is theft in all cases if you are removing mushrooms from someone's property without permission.

Alfamiller, whilst I admire your idealism I don't think there's a farmer out there that would be happy with randoms strolling through his field with the intention of mushroom hunting.

I did however have a mate who lived in NNSW that had an agreement with a farmer that allowed him onto his property to collect poo for his garden :wink: ..

• Like 2

i like the poo idea... ill take a wheelbarrow and trailer :wink:

• Like 2

Probably helps if you don't look like a longhaired bongsmokin' hippie in a kombi van too...

• Like 8

Probably helps if you don't look like a longhaired bongsmokin' hippie in a kombi van too...

theyre ok on my farm LOL

• Like 5

I was once picking on a property near Maclean in NNSW when the farmer arrived on tractor and asked what I was doing.

"Just looking for mushrooms" I replied.

"Those mushrooms will kill ya."

"Nah"

"Well next time, just come up to the house down the road and ask."

"OK. sorry"

So a couple of days later I did just that. Drove in the drive, navigated the pack of ferocious looking dogs madly barking away and rang the door bell. I was then greeted by the farmers son - all six foot six of him. :blink:

"I just wondered if you'd mind if I looked for mushrooms in your paddock up the road?" I managed to ask whilst consciously tightening my sphincter and secretly wondering if I could outrun this guy and his dogs.

"No worries mate, just as long as you don't leave any rubbish behind".

Best picking session ever - totally free of paranoia. This, however, was 20 years ago so times may have changed but I think you've just got to bold and give it a go. Surely the worst that can happen is they say no.

• Like 9

I was once picking on a property near Maclean in NNSW when the farmer arrived on tractor and asked what I was doing.

"Nah"

"OK. sorry"

So a couple of days later I did just that. Drove in the drive, navigated the pack of ferocious looking dogs madly barking away and rang the door bell. I was then greeted by the farmers son - all six foot six of him. :blink:

"I just wondered if you'd mind if I looked for mushrooms in your paddock up the road?" I managed to ask whilst consciously tightening my sphincter and secretly wondering if I could outrun this guy and his dogs.

Best picking session ever - totally free of paranoia. This, however, was 20 years ago so times may have changed but I think you've just got to bold and give it a go. Surely the worst that can happen is they say no.

hahhaha 1 in a million i rekon

• Like 1

"Nah"

"OK. sorry"

this is a situation i like :) thanks for the input, :)

• Like 3

My old man would have beaten you badly, at worst shot you. Unless u waved 100buks at him and told him what u where doing. I think if u are gonna approach a farmer take some cash (farmers love it) and tell him ur picking mushrooms. Don't expect to trespass on a farmers property without the good possibility of having ur ass handed to you, or worse.

Edited by incognito

^ that was if he caught u trespassing. He would have settled for a case of KB lager if u approached him and asked first. If a farmer does let u, ask him what he drinks, even if he is coy and says no it's not required, do it anyway. A case of beer goes a looooooooooong way in establishing rappore with a farmer with shroomy paddocks. If I was a farmer I'd be stoked to have a case in exchange for some dodgy shroom hunters on my land for a bit.

• Like 2

I was working between Murbah and Byron in 99-00. Whilst at Billinudgle one day I saw and a bloke walking around on his property searching the ground, I asked him if he was looking for mushrooms. He said no, golf balls. He was teeing off into his paddock. I told him I'd never seen gold tops before. I though he'd picked up a golf ball but it was actually a mushroom and he walked over to me and handed it to me with a smile.

• Like 3

we've been approached by a few farmers and they were pretty cool about it after we told them what we were doing, only said "make sure you close the gates and be careful this is a bull paddock"

sorry to hear so many of you have had such bad experiences

• Like 2