The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kadakuda

Anadenanthera peregrina seed setting?

Curious about this and want to ask others who grow them outoors. Early this year they flowereed, and then had a couple mor eflushes throughout late spring/summer. Nothing set seeds, and i didnt expect them to first time flowering, hoping next year. But was wondering if wet conditions might limit seed pod development? They were planted in a bad spot a while ago, so would like to get some seeds and start a new in better spots. These should be A. peregrina, not colubrina based on collection locale, but still not sure. also have a much larger Anadenanthera from seed, about 6 years old, bought as vendor seeds from USA. No collection data though, however it has never flowered yet, at 2 different locations in ground.

Any thoughts, or just be patient?

I have 2 seed grown yopo that are a couple a years old that are just starting to flower. A couple looked like they were going to set fruit but then the fell off. I reakon your right. I'm expecting a haul next year.

I also have a yopo given to me as a young plant. It struggled for many years but as soon as the seed grown plants roots touch with it, it sprang to good health so i'm expecting it to seed next year also. I think thd plant was lacking the required root microbes but the seed grown plants got them somehow.

Looking forward to picking a haul next year.

Good luck with your plants and i hope you get a haul next year too

Edited by rahli

maybe micromegas will chime in, i think he posted pics of largish tree with fruits...

post-3173-0-74525100-1442715706_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-62863500-1442715699_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-62863500-1442715699_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-74525100-1442715706_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-62863500-1442715699_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-74525100-1442715706_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Flowers look great rahli. Does the trunk have thorns?

Yeah warty linear spines that aren't sharp.

Seed came from the FNQ population.

Thanks for that. Really interesting texture the thorns ;-). I was just curious cause i couldnt see any in the photo..

Is there a wild population in fnq?

The seeds are from someones garden that lives in fnq. No sure where they got them from.

Pretty sure it is yopo as these trees hate the cold and fail to thrive, unlike vilca.

very nice looking plant. do you ever get seed set? any idea roughly how long from bloom to mature pods? and any idea if they need special polinators? mice have stopped flowering for the time being.

I've got 2 little flushes so far and both have failed to set seed. Maybe next year I'm hoping. I'll try to get photos and take note on setting times.

cant wait! I should add my last reply, i typed "mice", i meant "mine", mice have so far never harmed my yopo/cebil trees.

Rahli, were your plants flowering late spring/summer as Kadakuda 's did?? ?

They were flowering the day i posted the pic. They did not result in fruit this time round.

Wow, here in seqld there were no leaves, when u posted that pic, dropped during winter on the larger plant, but the 2 year plant kept the leaves during that period.. .

I don't get winter as i'm too close to the equator.

• Like 1

I have a few sparse flowers happening :-)

• Like 1

One of my trees set 4 pod around late December during a period of heavy rain. Only 2 of the pods have held since the rain stopped.

The same tree has also set another bunch of flowers, so here's hoping i get some more pods set.

I'll put up some pics soon once the pods are a little bigger.

Edited by rahli
  • Like 1

Exciting! a couple months ago i hacked mine down to twigs while cleaning up the farm so i am not expecting any, but will check now that you guys are gettting them. But i assume you guys are in southern hemisphere so maybe i can expect them at a differetn time? I am curious what triggers them to flower. Anyone know the natural season in their native home?

i havent yet heard of succes, or had any, but has anyone had succes with cuttings or other methods that are nto seed or tissue culture?

this is perhaps mostly so i dont forget the date. but my peregrina trees are just starting to bud. the colubrina is tall and hard to check but ill get a ladder over there to see. any thoughts/tips that might help them along?

Anyone have more thoughts on these pictures? the pollen does release and gets nice and dusty. i tried fingering the flowering, but only one tree is flowering now, so im stuck with trying to self pollinate. also curious what people think of the difference between the 2 trees. i have not positively identified them just going by what they were given to me as and also the location in which they were collected. A. colubrina vs A peregrina. the flower pics are all peregrina, the colubrina has never flowered that i know of and is 3 times old. the trunk at its base (its being blown over and broken in 2 different typhoons so upper portions are thinner) is about 25cm in diameter. the peregrina that is flowering is about 5-10cm diameter. interestingly that lot of seeds i grew a lot out and the biggest trees are about 4 meters and about 15cm dia., never flowered. this one is a runt and maybe 3 meters tall but way skinnier. difference being soil/water, but i wonder how big a role that has on reproduction. the large colubrina is growing near the flowering peregrina and is on the same row/soil type. the colubrina also produces far more of those sugar crevices in the leaves, i cannot remember the term for them. more numerous and produce more juice, but that could be largely due to tree/root size difference. lastly i also notice a huge difference in growth of flowering branches vs non. the vegetative growth is very stretched out and long while the flowering growth is quite short, to be expected. but it seems like a semi decent clue as to whether the tree is going to flower. i find these tiny little balls hard to see if they are up high with a bright sky behind them.

gallery_3354_2_44265.jpg

gallery_3354_2_54360.jpg

gallery_3354_2_123730.jpg

gallery_3354_2_34686.jpg

gallery_3354_2_14901.jpg

gallery_3354_2_60114.jpg

gallery_3354_2_61594.jpg

gallery_3354_2_21534.jpg

gallery_3354_2_47003.jpg

• Like 4

One of my trees set 4 pod around late December during a period of heavy rain. Only 2 of the pods have held since the rain stopped.

The same tree has also set another bunch of flowers, so here's hoping i get some more pods set.

I'll put up some pics soon once the pods are a little bigger.

Great pics Kadakuda.

I'm not sure on the difference between yopo and vilca as my yopo are striving and the vilca is kinda struggling. One thing that I have noticed is that the branches of the vilca seem more erect, while the yopo is very pendulous, even as some stages growing to the surface of the ground before lifting up upon maturity. However, this may be because my vilca is not flourishing and so not growing to its full potential.

One of my trees currently has two pods on it, containing around 10 between both. They are taking a long time to mature. I keep checking the pod stem and when it is dry and brittle, I'm guessing that the seeds will be ready to harvest.

post-3173-0-94973500-1460240614_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-20723200-1460240618_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-94973500-1460240614_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-20723200-1460240618_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-94973500-1460240614_thumb.jpg

post-3173-0-20723200-1460240618_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Very cool, thanks for the pics!  I'll check the Anadenathera book again and post some key points for ID here, i havent looked at it for a couple years.  But i can say my pics above are definitely not positively identified.  the peregrina came from a friend in Colombia, so I am basing that ID solely on the location the trees came from and his label.  nothing more.  the other "colubrina" is simply what they were sold to me as, i cant say much more, but the 2 types are fairly different from each other.

my colubrina when yong also hung sideways until some stems got woody enough.  now new growth gets woody pretty quick, but side shoots tend to sag.  typhoons have kicked its ass over teh years though, so honestly im shocked at how resilient they are after they get past their seedling stage.

i planted some "peregrina" along my ditch when i started my new farm about 3 years ago i guess.  same seed batch as pics above.  the grass/weed machine took quick care of them, hadnt seen them for ages.  so last couple weeks ive been reclaiming my ditch edge from the insane grasses that have been growing there and i find a little twig of a thing with 1 leaf.  amazed how well they survive, if the roots are good they just dont die....  i sent a few seeds to a member here when i got them.  cant remember who or when but they did arrive, i wonder if they are grown up by now?

all my flowers are now dead and fallen off, i am not getting and seeds this run either....

Rahli, in your location is it wet/dry/cold/hot season now?  I think you are in Aus, so our season will be sort of flipped around, but trying to figure out what it is they like to flower.  So far i have been thinking too wet in my situation.  the soil never dries out.

Flowers came at the start of the wet. There was a few dry spells that i think may have resulted in some of the young pods dropping.

Noticed flowering this arvo, October south east qld, after a mild dry winter, 6 ish years old and still in a pot :-(

tmp_6927-IMG_20161012_180931181399264.jpg

tmp_6927-IMG_20161012_180931181399264.thumb.jpg.fbdfa878df5d8c3aef5d074a2edff016.jpg

tmp_6927-IMG_20161012_180931181399264.thumb.jpg.fbdfa878df5d8c3aef5d074a2edff016.jpg

• Like 4

My tree started flowering a few weeks ago, at the start of the wet.

My pod ripened to give me 4 seeds prior to the termites killing the tree. Now i have 2 trees and 4 seedlings.

• Like 2