The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geebus

F'ing Cobbler's Pegs! Bidens pilosa

Okay so my sweet little feline friend was unusually affectionate and was rubbing her fur over over my jumper. After a while I realised she wasent being loving she was simply passing on the frikking millions of cobblers pegs seeds she had collected onto my jacket. I spent a good 2 and a half hours removing these fckers 1 by 1.

I'll give them credit, the leaves of Bidens pilosa have some excellent benefits to mankind teas pf the leaves are used to alleviate stomach ulcers and liver conditions as well as being beneficial in the treatment of leukemia supposedly.

However, this does not outweigh the immense feeling of annoyance I get from these things. Especially a large patch of them in seed.

Now does anyone here know of any handy dandy methods of removing these things from clothing quickly and en masse? Your help will be eternally appreciated!

Save Geebus! :o

I'm hesitant to put them in the machine, do they soften adequately in the machine? I worry theyd spread to other clothes.

Fire is not always an option for me. Worth a try though.

What about a strong Velcro or something? Like a Velcro paddle?

Haha ethereal! That's a nice pussy plucker you have there! :)

I'm gonna chuck the next contaminated item in a load and see how that goes. Cheers! :)

Ah! Thats what you call those buggers!

My new place has heaps of them, made the mistake of pulling a few while wearing trackies... almost threw them out. Slowly starting to get them under control... but im seriously considering fire.

Anyone know how to train a cat to stay out of them? Or an easy wah to get them off the cat? ...And to all you cat haters - no suggesting fire, or throwing the moggy in the wash ;)

Brushing works for the mist part now ive found the right brush to use, but I seem to wind up brushing them onto me! And theres always a couple i miss, which he seems to find a way to work loose in the bed.

Nice to know the plants are of some benifit, but they still make me wish for pyrokenetic powers!

A fast moving piece of lead usually works pretty well FS, cheap and only one application needed! :wink:

consider it a blessing in disguise. routine weed control for a very long time should see the problem diminish. when some do manage to produce seeds you need a way to dispose/destroy those seeds but don't bother if you're going to be moving in three or four years anyway. pluck plants with well-formed flowers but beware that if you pull a plant with mature flowers and just leave it there to dry it it will produce a shit-ton of seeds while it lays there. .

after all that if your cat still brings them in then it must be roaming outside of your property in which case i wish you all the cobblery love in the world

Shave the cat

I loved shaved pussies.

Don't get it tattoed though, it could make it make it look trashy when it gets older.

I loved shaved pussies.

Don't get it tattoed though, it could make it make it look trashy when it gets older.

i love trashy pussy :blink:

Trashy pussy is great if its free of cobblers pegs :)

So the washing machine thing worked to a degree. I am on 17 acres I am not weeding lol

So the washing machine thing worked to a degree. I am on 17 acres I am not weeding lol

goats

A fast moving piece of lead usually works pretty well FS, cheap and only one application needed! :wink:

LOL... im a good shot but shooting the seeds off might be a stretch even for me :wink:

Ive only got an acre and according to council i cant have goats (or any other livestock. Bar a few chickens, but chickens arent goint to mow my lawn and tame the overgrown garden beds), id thought of that.

Neighbor has 5 acres he lets run wild so im hoping to convince him to let me agist some critters on his place, council rules say thatd be ok...

That way i could bring em into my block every now and then for weed control, and it would keep his place tidy so even when my kitties do roam, they wouldnt get so many burrs (his dam is spitting distance from my fence, but my dogs cant get there to harrass them, so the cats chill out round his dam, ive chatted with him and he has no problem with the cats so i let them to it). Itd also give me somewhere to raise meat, and be a good fire control measure.

Unfortunately hes just decided to try and sell so its a no go for now. Hopefully the new neighbors are easygoing when they happen. He did say if it dosent sell hed be open to it tho, so ill see what tbe future brings. Pity i cant afford his place too.

IMO ive got enough room for a few animals, but the local council has their head up their ass and has the same rules for my tiny little community as they do for the city and the town half an hour away.

goats

I'm considering it next season. We kept sheep for a while. Gotta sort out some decent fencing though as the sheep escaped. Would have to keep them away from my ethno gardens. Our ram used to love munching pachanoi :)

Really good for the soil though arent they? You could chop into soil with a hoe when in flower. Repeat each year till ur ontop of them.

Or if ur lazy like me whipper snip when in flower?

I think all their fine hairs etc won't let tape etc work. Just make sure to have the filter fitted to your washing machine and you should be ok.

Agree entirely. In the course of my work I have been coated from head to toe with em. Washing machine softens them and sorts em out...

rub one on your tooth its like fingernails on the black board

Really good for the soil though arent they? You could chop into soil with a hoe when in flower. Repeat each year till ur ontop of them.

Or if ur lazy like me whipper snip when in flower?

yep they are very good for the soil.. in my experience the best way is to simply cut them off at the base, after they flower but before they go to seed & leave the bases in the ground without hoeing them into the soil.. the seed has been shown to usually have about 100% viability & if you till the soil & don't quickly reseed with something even more vigorous then often you'll only stimulate another huge crop of bidens..

the hair net root systems, if left in the ground, will break down leaving a matrix of organic matter throughout the topoil & you'll have a much lower germination rate in the coming months if you don't disturb the soil.. so imo definitely no need to hoe them in, rather use the above ground parts for mulch & let the root system rot away in situ. if you do this at the wrong time of the plants life cycle though, they will simply re-shoot & flower/seed again..

farmers friends are a daily reality in my world haha, i've become completely immune to caring about them covering everything i own.. my GF on the other hand gets pretty pissed when she's gone out wearing her favorite dress or something & finds a bunch of them.. the bastards are contagious

Have you tried vacuuming them off

I wonder how you'd go with an epilator ?

Whoever designed the first one must have been a saddist, they are a nasty little gadget.