The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DiscoStu

waht would be the best time to start grafting?

i don't have a heat mat so will just use the sun/ambient air as a heat source, is it too cold to start (considering melbourne weather)?

to put it in perspective it's about 13-15 degrees in the day here atm, about 5-7 degrees at night

From my experience with grafting, which is relatively extensive, thats way too cold. It also depends on the stock species, and the vegetative state it's in. I think you could expect 50% success rate at most.

• Like 2

darnit

I've always grafted at the end of the growing season, however that gives you the least amount of time for new growth.

I think anytime it's hot enough for the stock to be actively growing is when you should graft

I wouldn't try grafting now however as i've always said, prove me wrong!

Do some winter grafts.

I've done winter grafts successfully before. I plan to do a few tommorrow.

I'd only do it towards the end of winter though.

When I notice the trichs putting on new growth I bring them in and graft the scions onto them. My scions are under fluoro's so they are growing all year round. I keep them inside for about two weeks, under filtered/indirect window light for the first week or so and then move them right up to a window in the warmest room of the house for about a week.

After that they go outside to fend for themselves.

Peres grafts are a bit more fickle though, I'd wait for a few weeks after the last frost before grafting onto them.

Edited by Sally

Psssh... Graft whenever you damn well feel like it. The 'too cold' claim is bullshit in my (maybe not so) humble southern opinion.

I live in a climate where 13-15 degrees in the day and 5-7 degrees at night is normal spring/summer temps.

When I was grafting mad I was grafting on trichos all year round with 80% success rates.

Do it when you feel in the mood to, I say anyway.

oh i should mention i'll be grafting seedlings, maybe 6-9 months old onto peres

the peres isn't growing though

Peres are much more temperature sensitive than Trichocereus, I personally don't even bother grafting below 25 degrees anymore. Buy yourself a cfl lightbuld, 20-50 W, that should provide sufficient light and heat for the grafts to take.

i tend to agree with bogfrogs sentiments.

I will do emergency grafts over winter if the situation calls for it. on trichs.

ive given up on peres, it shits me to tears.

from full moon to end of first quarter :-)

**edit*** New Moon to First Quarter!!!!

Edited by phytolator

i would have said from first quarter to full moon. i try to follow moon planting as much as possible but applying it to grafting is relatively new to me. im probably interpreting it wrong.

• Like 1

i would have said from first quarter to full moon. i try to follow moon planting as much as possible but applying it to grafting is relatively new to me. im probably interpreting it wrong.

I'm no pro at this, but my uncle is! I just checked the calendar he gave me and it says New Moon to First Quarter.

I remembered it wrong!

Apparently this is the time of best vascular activity, so good for graft bonding...