The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon Daze

Hass avocado from seed

good as a shade tree, i dont think they will fruit for u m8.

quite possibly they won't but i gotta somewhat disagree bull. with only 4 trees the odds aren't great but i have seen plenty of great examples of seed grown avo's producing awesomely.. although compared to a grafted high quality variety on good root stock obviously theres no competition. & seed grown vo's can take a vry long time to set fruit..

just depends whether you're willing to grow out your trees & wait 10 or 20 years to find out if they're all duds.. that equation doesn't really stack up favorably so unless you've got lots of space & don't mind waiting then it's probably not worth the bother..

• Like 1

Gotta remember they were all seed-grown at one point, it's how we got all the varities we've got. The odds of finding the next Hass is probably pretty low, but I'm sure it's a numbers game for whoever has the patience and the space.

I'm hoping to get my hands on a Wurtz soon so I can grow myself a pot-dwarf avo tree.

• Like 1

i can get u a wurtz if u can get up the coast GMAN?

• Like 1

Holy shirt really? Like a grafted one with roots and stuff? I don't have a car but for that I could get the train up lol. Most places are sold out of 'em and the few that aren't are like $50 with postage :-/

• Like 1

grafted 1s, also have dwarf lamb hass which is way better !! in 5 litre bags or 140mms

Edited by bullit
  • Like 1

Hey Bullit, since you obviously know your shit about avos, do you have any recommendations for a good variety that grows well and sets a decent amount of fruit in the Adelaide region? I have heard the "bacon" cv. is suppsed to be good in the cooler climates like here and Melbourne but read it only fruits for about 2 months of the year.

• Like 1

Hey Bullit, since you obviously know your shit about avos, do you have any recommendations for a good variety that grows well and sets a decent amount of fruit in the Adelaide region? I have heard the "bacon" cv. is suppsed to be good in the cooler climates like here and Melbourne but read it only fruits for about 2 months of the year.

hey man, like the bacon u mentioned u can also try wurtz its a semi dwarf ,beautiful weeping tree that has a bronze new growth.

• Like 1