The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mimzy

Does anyone have English Oak (Quercus robur) seeds? eg acorns.

Hi all,

Looking for some Oak seeds, the fresher the better. Also interested in related Quercus species.

Cheers,

Mimz

When do the oak set seed? I know a guy with heaps but I have no idea when they set.

I wouldnt know how to ID them but ive got a couple of well and truly mature oaks that produce shitloads of acorns at the right time of year, ive never really paid much attention to when they come out. internet says they ripen in autumn. I'll go have look.

Na no acorns at the moment.

Edited by micoz

They are a deciduous species, so I'm guessing they would seed early late spring/summer? Yeah they are a bugger, so common, but nobody holds onto the seed. Thanks for look Micoz!

is it true that some oaks set seed only once every 2 years?

there's 2 groups of oaks i think 1 of the groups does this

what do you mean you are interested in related Quercus? do you mean any oaks? hows about cork oaks?

i could certainly collect some Q. robur acorns but i'm not sure what is the best time of year to go look

around here robur drops around end of summer, a few were germinating on the ground about a month ago.

oaks often have a 'mast year' and produce shitloads of acorns and for the next couple of years seed very little..

I have some Q. ilex i can send you, they've been surface sterilized with dilute bleach, soaked in water overnight (floaters discarded) and are sitting in fridge just waiting for me to get around to planting..

cork oak would be sweet too but I can never find seeds on the few trees I know of..

Hey guys, yes specifically I am interested in:

Quercus robur -English Oak
Quercus ilex -Holm Oak, Holly Oak
Quercus suber -Cork Oak

You can probably guess what I'm doing from my other posts - truffle culture, hopefully.

I'll pm you ferret, would love to grab those ilex. Have plenty to trade :).

Flora - let me know if you see any in the Summer, the greener the better for my TC.

• Like 1

I can find all of those come season, and pin oak

Q. ilex supsp. ilex is native here so I could probably get you a truckload of acorns (they are ripe in september), not sure if they would be allowed in Australia tough. You considered Q. pubescens? It's said to be one of the prefered hosts for truffles.

Are you going to try some on hazel for quicker fruit production?

mimzy, ferret or whomsoever... Quercus suber should not be a problem to procure come the time

i'll keep a look out for the others too mimzy

• Like 1

well i adventured into the plantation of over 9000 cork oaks :)

still unsure how the mast cycle works, i believe they should syncronise but few of the trees had any corns, i'm guessing we have not had a mast recently yet some of the trees must produce them in off years

hopefully with that many trees there will be plenty available fresh in season